Share This Page:

New Boy - Loads of questions help !!!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
Omen

New Boy - Loads of questions help !!!

Post by Omen »

Hi Guys , new to the forum so go easy and apologies in advance if these questions are a bit basic or although I have seached have been asked and answered before.

Well here goes .............basically I go by the moto 'proper planning prevents piss poor performance' , hence trying to get ALL the info before tackling the interogation by the Iatola (wife) in the hope I dont crack !! ha ha!!

Right the questions begin .................

1. Im 32 in August does this bar me from entry ?

2. Have done some time in one of her majesty's holiday camps (9 years ago) does this bar me ?

3. Where prior to ringing the nearest RMR (Merseyside) do I start , e.g. basic fitness ?? ( I run 3 miles in 18 mins , 1.5 in 8.30, can blast pushups about 80 -90 in 2mins , situps 60-70, do a few pack runs etc ??)

4. How much do I need to committ to at the start ?

5. Does my employer have to agree - can he put a spanner in works for me ?

6. Whats the basic protocol right the way through to my ultimate goal of being a Marine reserve ?
e.g. medical / fitness test and there time spans??

7. Now for the wifes interest ................How do I get paid ?
Does this go on my P60 ?
Will I be taxed on my night / weekend / week earnings?

Sorry for the list of questions but need the ins and outs as I say gota prepare properly - dont want to look a knob by taking someones place only to find I cant committ - ANY HELP ANYONE COULD GIVE WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED THANKS !!!
marco

Post by marco »

1. Im 32 in August does this bar me from entry ?
This will be close. Think the upper age limit is 30 and can go further with previous military experience. Ask and see, they're keen to get as many recruits through as poss.

2. Have done some time in one of her majesty's holiday camps (9 years ago) does this bar me ?
Another tough one. This may screw up your entry but again....ask and see.

3. basic fitness ?? ( I run 3 miles in 18 mins , 1.5 in 8.30, can blast pushups about 80 -90 in 2mins , situps 60-70, do a few pack runs etc ??)
Your level of fitness is good, especially the running. Do longer runs between 6-8 miles 4 times a week. It's all about the running!!!

4. How much do I need to committ to at the start ?
Nothing. See if you can make it through 18 months of thrashings. Can leave anytime.

5. Does my employer have to agree - can he put a spanner in works for me ?
The employer has to know about it really, but not until you qualify as you won't deploy until you've been put on the trained strength.

6. Whats the basic protocol right the way through to my ultimate goal of being a Marine reserve ? e.g. medical / fitness test and there time spans??
Join holding troop at unit - 3 months of beastings and good stuff
Selection - 1 weekend pass or fail. we had 55 attend and 30 passed
Phase 1 - About 7 weekends + 2 weeks at CTCRM (6 months)
Phase2 - About 9 weekends + 2 weeks RFCC (9 months)
Continuation Training 1 week : All in it's about 18 months of pain

7. Now for the wifes interest ................How do I get paid ?
Does this go on my P60 ? Will I be taxed on my night / weekend / week earnings?
Paid monthly direct to bank account
You'll get a separate P60 and you're taxed on all earnings

Good luck
Omen

Post by Omen »

Hey Marco!!!

Thanks for the detailed reply mate been checking regularly for a reply - and yours gave me all the info I need so big pat on the back and thanks !!!