Share This Page:

RMR in Leeds

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
officer_in_waiting

RMR in Leeds

Post by officer_in_waiting »

Hello, i am 20 years old and currently studying sport science at sheffield hallam university. This year I decided after some thought that a career in the forces is a path that i am very keen to follow, and after some investigation the marines came head and shoulders above anything else i wish to do within the services the whole lifestlye of working hard, keeping fit and a massive sense of teamwork seems a great way to earn a living!!

Anyway i have just completed my first year of university and i recently went to my local AFCO and he said that with my degree it would be a waste to go in just as a regular solider and he advised going for an officer, he did make it quite clear how ever that this is no easy path to follow, so i began to think that some experiance could be an advantage when applying. He also mentioned the royal marine reserves, previously i had considerd going into the TA but as i want to join the royals after uni it seems i should become invloved with the marines reserves rather than the armys!! He mentioned i think that my nearest reserve point was at Leeds, is this true as i carnt seem to find much info about it on the net. I no the info is probably already on this site but is the pay sturcutre similer to the TA's?

Also i have read some-were that i could apply for a bursery for young officers whilst studying. Could i still apply for this being in my second year rather than my first and how do i apply? Would i do the POC and the AIB before they give me the bursery? Sorry if all these questions have already been asked/answerd and i appreciate any help any-one could give me.

OIW
rc

Re: RMR in Leeds

Post by rc »

Alright Mate.

Leeds Det has just opened and is part of RMR Tyne. Manchester also has a Detachment ( part of RMR Mersey ) which has been established for along time now. I would imagine both are a similar distance to travel from Sheffield.

I don't know how the pay structure works in the TA, but in the RMR you will be paid the equivilent rate of a regular Marine. You also get travel expenses paid.

Can't help regards Bursaries.

Rich.
_chris

Post by _chris »

You have to complete both POC and AIB before your bursary. I think you can go for your bursary after you've started your course and will get payed as normal for the years remaining on the course.
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

Cant find a contact for RMR leeds anywhere. Is it still going? I emailed RMR Tyne and got no reply. Suppose I better ring them.

Either way I would be interested in talking to anyone in RMR Leeds

Cheers
1ManRiot

Post by 1ManRiot »

Steve14 wrote:Cant find a contact for RMR leeds anywhere. Is it still going? I emailed RMR Tyne and got no reply. Suppose I better ring them.

Cheers
One lad down with us at Manchester is from Sheffield, travels in each time...
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

1ManRiot wrote:
Steve14 wrote:Cant find a contact for RMR leeds anywhere. Is it still going? I emailed RMR Tyne and got no reply. Suppose I better ring them.

Cheers
One lad down with us at Manchester is from Sheffield, travels in each time...
Manchesters not far from me, just have to cycle across the Pennines 8)

Or be lazy and get the train :wink:
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Just done a quick check on AA route planner, I live in Rotherham, and it's 1hr19 mins to Manchester RMR, and it's 45 mins to Leeds RMR.

I'm thinking about doing it as well. Just not sure when. Hopefully when my knee sorts itself out!
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
MrC

Post by MrC »

I spoke to RMR tyne about their Leeds det this week.

The recruiting officer said that the next selection weekend should be around June, and holding troop is underway at the moment. They are happy to start the process now to get paperwork etc out of the way and he said there shouldnt be a problem joining holding troop late..

At the moment holding troop/recruit training is on a Thursday night, but he did say this is subject to change in the (very) near future.