Share This Page:

RMR and leaving

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
Ali3

RMR and leaving

Post by Ali3 »

Hi

This is just to anyone in the know really. Im in the RMR atm and its going great, just ticking off the weekends to my phase 1 course soon.

However IF, i mean IF i get my green lid in july/aug time im just wondering where i stand.

What i mean is that if i pass out in july/aug, il be entering my 3rd year at uni in september and will need to pull my finger out and work. So when i graduate il be goin back to live in the channel islands so my future at RMR is limited really, which sucks.

However im now fixated on getting that damned green cloth but am wondering how easy it is to leave the RMR when iv passed out.??

thanks
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Hello mate,

Sorry to hear that you will be unable to continue with the RMR upon passing out. It seems a shame to go through all of what's required to finish before things get going. I found this on the RMR website, not too sure if it helps though:

Premature Termination of RMR Service
Unless you are in permanent service or Full Time Reserve Service under Section 24 of the Reserve Forces Act 1996, or an order is in force authorising the call out of the reserves in the circumstances described above, you are entitled to ask to be discharged before the end of the period for which you enlisted or re-engaged. You will also be required to give one month's notice in writing and return clothing and other public property issued to you in good order or pay for the deficiencies.

You may be discharged by the RMR:

- If your services are no longer required.
- For unfitness on medical grounds
- For failure to fulfil the training obligation
- By your Commanding Officer for disobedience, neglect of duty or misconduct.

It sounds rather straight forward, whether this is the case or not I know not. Maybe others in the know will be able to shed some light.

Good luck with the Green Lid quest
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

I left the RMR at the end of phase 1 Alpha due to university and work commitments.My mate who i lived with who had only recently got his Green Lid also left just after his RFCC because after uni he moved back up to Cumbria (finding the nearest RMR detatchment being Newcastle and unfeasable for travel).

We were both 'discharged at own request' by the USM on the authority of the CO after ringing the USM and explaining the situations. So it was fairly straight forward, i think i also sent a letter to confirm.

We just had to return all kit and sign it out, and after were sent an RMR exit interview report which was basically a questionaire detailing why we had left, and what our future plans were regarding Re-entry or regular service etc.

If you leave in this fashion it will not predjudice you from re-joining in the future, and this is made claer in your discharge paper. (i am myself now in the process again of re-joining and it has not been an issue).

Hope this helps mate.
Are you thinking of going back to the RM/RMR in the future if you do get your Lid? it seems a little bit of an odd waste for yourself and the Corps if you dont.(money and time spent on training etc and then not using it).
Ali3

Post by Ali3 »

Thanks guys really appreciate your help.

Iv seriously considered to join RM officer in the past, but at the moment i want to keep all options open. I know that the only way i could give RMR a bit of a go would be to do a masters, but iv got to get a 2:1 first!!

Its just annoying coz i think RMR is a good life, especially with this adventorous training trip to Bavaria for 6 weeks coming up.

Il chat to my training team too and get some advice about rejoining after a couple years of being out, because i do wish to move to UK to live.

Its just one of those things, it'll work itself out,

but thanks for you help- hoofing to see decent, motivated people here, its why i joined RMR in the first place, to be with the right people

cheers
Ali3

Post by Ali3 »

Howard matey!

Yeh dont worry about that, we would have got there but that gorse was a pain in the arse eh?
You fallin in that hole made up for it tho, was a definate highlight of the weekend- hope ur ok tho by the way!

u goin on next weekend? should b a laugh

laters- get back to work ya slacker!!