Share This Page:

London Selection

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Any word on when the next selection will be? Are they only doing one intake a year now??

Cheers
BOSS

Post by BOSS »

i heard there may be one september time, if not i believe it will be january mate.
Interview - Passed
Eye Test - Passed
Medical - Passed
PJFT - Passed
RMR Selection - Passed
RMR Induction - Passed
Phase 1 Confirmation -
Phase 1 -
Phase 2 Confirmation -
Phase 2 -
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Cheers buddy, time to ramp up the training :D
southerncomfort

Post by southerncomfort »

Evening all,

I'm looking to join Henley RMR now that I have the time to spare, is there any confirmation on there being a January intake? Also how fit do you need to be to join holding troop? Is there a bare minimum fitness level you need to reach before joining?

Cheers.
Dolor brevis, superbia aeterna
hazholmes

Post by hazholmes »

You'll be hanging out after your first holding troop session no matter how fit you are mate. I'd say if you can run 3 miles in 23 minutes and manage 30+ press ups, 50+ sit ups, 3+ pull ups you wont stick out so badly.
matthewwookie

Post by matthewwookie »

Hi Guys,

Went to the London introduction night last night, the next selection/development weekend is end of Jan/first week in Feb. You'll need to have all your meds/tests/interviews out of the way before this is done.

Apparently they do it on an 8 month cycle. So if you miss January then you'll be waiting til august/september i guess

Hope this helps

Matt
Spetz

Post by Spetz »

Hey guys,

I was at that same RMR London presentation, I was pretty upset that exams aren't done for you when you go away with the RM and miss university, lol, and that lad from "the press" was pretty funny. 4/5 months seems enough time to get the phys to a good standard, looking forward to next Wednesday though, I'm guessing they'll push us harder to see who really wants it and comes back the following week, anyone else think so?

Cheers
matthewwookie

Post by matthewwookie »

Hello Spetz,

Think I was sat on your row...at the end on the front. I can't believe they won't pass your exams either!!! A little harsh :lol:

I'm hopefully going to do Holding troop tomorrow at Henley, so I'll let you know if they're hard on you...anyone else going to Henley?? Or already go there..whats it like?

Cheers

Matt
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Alright lads,

Any word on London Selection weekend? I heard something about it now being in March, can anyone confirm this?

Cheers
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Alright guys,

Does anyone have any word when the next London intake is likely to be?

Thanks,
Chemist
Spetz

Post by Spetz »

Weekend beginning 22nd February, I'm on it and looking forward to it
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Ha ha, that's a bit soon! Any word on when the next one after that is?

Good luck with the weekend. It's a lot of fun :D
Spetz

Post by Spetz »

Selection weekend fun? Sounds like you've done it before? Could you message/post the layout of the weekend if you could.

I remember the Mayor saying he's doing only 3 selection weekends every 2 years, so one every 8 months, so next one should be October 08.

Cheers
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Spetz,

I thought I'd post my reply here as I did the weekend a couple of years ago and the format may have changed a bit since then, so the others can chip in if something is different.

Well, we rocked up at London about 7:30pm ish on the Friday. Make sure you have plenty of phys kits, multiple changes. And something smart for the interview. And pack some jelly babies! Top source of grab and go energy to keep you going.

First evening was mainly lectures, tests, and paperwork. This lasted a while. Think we bedded down about 12-1am ish.

Early rise. Can't remember exact format of the day but we had the gym tests and possibly the bleep test that day. Then there was also a bit of fun at the local park (general phys fun). You're given an intro to the gym they have there as you'll be able to use it is you get on the training program. So it's basically a day of phys. You get a bit of time to rest at lunch but otherwise it's all go. Chance for a bit of a drink and a socail in the evening if you like but most guys chose to get an early night instead.

Next day I believe we had the 3/1.5 mile run and the swim test. There was also a much more of a phys thrashing in the park, which was probably the most intense bit of the weekend. Lots of group races, get used to hearing "It's pays to be a winnner lads" :D Then in the afternoon you get your results. By then you're tired but bloody chuffed with yourself because it's hard work but well worth it.

General tips, stay switched on all the time, do everthing you're told at warp speed, and be respectful of others and the training team. I'm sure you know all that already though. And yeah, just have fun :D I had a great time, and passed. I wasn't the fittest but I cracked on with everything 110% and that's what they want.

Anything else you want to know give me a shout. I'm always happy to help lads who are doing what I did. Just don't make the mistake I did and get in, do well, then leave for "other reasons". Regretting it now as I'm having to claw back all the phys I'd built up. Still, Selection around Oct time would be perfect. Can't wait.
St Rafty

Post by St Rafty »

Hi!

Just started holding troop at RMR City of London this Wednesday gone...was erm..an eye opener! Did a year in the TA and dont think we ever did that much phys even on a training weekend!

Felt great when I left at the end of the night. Was a good work but bloody hard work! Only problem is even if I pass the assesment weekend and the AFCO process still got to wait till September I think before the start of phase 1?

Only other problem is never got discharge documents from the TA when I left :-?