Share This Page:

Civvy careers of reservists....

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
southerncomfort

Civvy careers of reservists....

Post by southerncomfort »

Greetings,
I'm just wondering about the civvy careers of reservists and how their employer reacted to them joining, or if you had any problems getting a job when already enlisted given the time commitments required by the RMR especially if deployed. I'm an assistant manager of a pub and I've been offered a promotion to run my own pub, I mentioned breifly when I started that I wanted to join the RMR but as my fitness is poor I haven't explained to them the full details until I'm fit enough to go for it. Obviously a pub requires me to to work weekends but I'm hoping to rota myself off once a month. Any advice or experiences on how others handled and their employer reacted would be appreciated.

Cheers
jm745

Post by jm745 »

Think they would have a problem with that mate? I can't help much as I'm still at college but I'm hoping to join RMR in September, same time I'm hoping to start ambulance technician training, dunno how/if they'll take that. So ye, as southerncomfort said; any advice on how others handled their employer?

Joe
just_me

Post by just_me »

All I know it that for the TA you can't get fired for being in the TA. I'm guessing there's a similar deal for Naval Reserves.
alfao

Post by alfao »

jm745 wrote:Think they would have a problem with that mate? I can't help much as I'm still at college but I'm hoping to join RMR in September, same time I'm hoping to start ambulance technician training, dunno how/if they'll take that. So ye, as southerncomfort said; any advice on how others handled their employer?

Joe
My wife is an ambulance technician so I would just say that don't underestimate how busy you will be. Your initial training will be hard work and need a lot of revision on evenings and w/e.

Once you have passed and are on station it will take some time to adjust to the hours and work.

I would suggest that you get into the ambulance service first, then consider RMR.
jm745

Post by jm745 »

Cheers mate, I think I might take your advice, just waiting for an email to confirm if I can start training in September. Does your wife enjoy her job? Do you think it would be possible to join RMR later down the line or would not being able to work weekends be a problem?
just_me

Post by just_me »

If you like medical jobs you could always look into some sort of medic job in the TA. Also as far as I know you normally train on weekends but although you don't have to go to all of them there is a minimum you have to show up to. Plus with a busy job it might be hard to retain your fitness, but it's possible of course. :D . good luck
alex4013

Post by alex4013 »

RMR will take a lot more time than, say, TA Sigs or Artillery..

RMR you're looking at most alternate weekends, plus 2 x 2 weeks, for between 8 and 10 months..

Yes you can miss a few (although "few" is very subjective,..) but lets face it you join RMR to get involved. To train. If you're not willing to give 100% for the first year or two to get the basics then you're not gonna get the most out of it.

OP, I'd say becoming a landlord would be highly conflictive with joining any of the reserves.

Stick with assistant and go for a bit of something different!

Don't think because its reserves everyone will be happy for you to turn up willy-nilly.. I suspect (as my Para NCO's were..) the RMR staff will be professional and supportive.. To a point..

When I was doing 4 Para cadre, there were 9 weekends (now 8) of which you had to attend a minimum of 7... Its not to fu** you about, they only have so long to teach you the necessary military skills. If you miss these weekends you're not learning the skills required to pass the course.

Being a student is ideal for joining the reserves (any reserves, land sea air etc)...

You can't be sacked for joining the reserves, however try proving that you weren't given a job because of other commitments....

The main differnece now with employers, ie post Iraqi invasion.. is that you now have a legal obligation to tell your work you are in reserves and liable to call out. Before 2003 you didn't have to tell them anything..

Also the standard legal obligation for your employer is 1 week for military service, plus (in most cases not obligated but given) 1 week out of your annual leave. (ie for Camp.)

Some employers give more, ie the full two weeks but obviously I can't list them here because I don't know them all!!!!
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

I'm going to be a trainee site manager and quantity surveyor working 40 hour weeks + most weekends to, just tell your employer the dates you wont be able to work (ie the weekends because of the RMR) and I'm sure if he's a nice guy he may shuffle around the shift pattern to accomodate. Skiffle did a good post on it a while ago but I cant seem to find it.

Or if you're going to be the manager, employ someone else! You're going for Henley arent you? Me too, as I've moved back to Oxford.
alfao

Post by alfao »

jm745 wrote:Cheers mate, I think I might take your advice, just waiting for an email to confirm if I can start training in September. Does your wife enjoy her job? Do you think it would be possible to join RMR later down the line or would not being able to work weekends be a problem?
My wife loves her job, wouldn't change it for anything.

In my own opinion it would be extremely hard to be RMR & ambulance, but I guess if you want it enough anything is possible.

Work hard and pass all your ambulance tech exams first, get out on the road and then you will be able to make a solid judgement.

Good luck!
just_me

Post by just_me »

alfao wrote:
jm745 wrote:Cheers mate, I think I might take your advice, just waiting for an email to confirm if I can start training in September. Does your wife enjoy her job? Do you think it would be possible to join RMR later down the line or would not being able to work weekends be a problem?
My wife loves her job, wouldn't change it for anything.

In my own opinion it would be extremely hard to be RMR & ambulance, but I guess if you want it enough anything is possible.

Work hard and pass all your ambulance tech exams first, get out on the road and then you will be able to make a solid judgement.

Good luck!
Exactly. You never know, you may not want to join RMR once you've had a taste for the hard life that is the Ambulance Technician!
All the Best.
malibuking

Post by malibuking »

Hey guys!!! I am a firefighter and I am not saying the shift patterns are the same as ambulance technicians, but you often find with most institute type occupations, be it the NHS, Fire service, Police, they are quite receptive to the idea of employee's engaging in the Reserve forces, and will usually have a HR policy for it. It may be worth looking into it!!!! In my case my HR policy gives my special leave to cover training, except for the 2 week course's, which I have to make up with my own leave entitlement!!
RMR Application: 04/12/07 PASSED
Psychometric Test: 04/12/07 PASSED
Eye Examination: 12/12/07 PASSED (VA1)
Interview: 08/01/08 PASSED
Medical: 06/02/08 PASSED
PJFT: 28/02/08 PASSED (9:33)
Selection weekend: TBA (September?)
jm745

Post by jm745 »

Cheers, well I might just ask them what their policy is on it, or find out some other way, don't wanna sound like I have other commitments before I start. Gotta sort out my driving license first anyway, so I'll probably be better off sorting out becoming an ambulance technician first after I've finished my exams and then going for the next RMR intake.

Joe
Alarkhertrape

Civvy careers of reservists

Post by Alarkhertrape »

rolls eyes Whatever, woman.

Im going to do something real quick for you, since you teach kids.

If a kid was reading the other thread, what advice could it really give them? Not much; this one will give them some, and is looking at a different aspect of careers. I teach kids and I think that the other thread is too general.

Besides. Threads dont give advice. People do.
[url=http://freemcdonaldscoupons.weebly.com]mcdonalds coupons[/url]