Share This Page:

RMR selection weekend

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
chris78290

RMR selection weekend

Post by chris78290 »

I came across this page giving advice on preparing for both the selection weekend and Phase 1 training for RMR, I know the selection weekend is a bit of a grey area due to lack of information on it so I hope it helps those of you interested.

http://www.reserve-forces-london.org.uk ... ining2.htm
chris78290

Post by chris78290 »

Follow on post relating to this training schedule:

During the running exercises by week three it is recommended that one of the runs should be carried out wearing boots; if one was to follow this recommendation what boots would be suitable as there are many on the market?
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

I would not recommend running in boots, as you will not be expected to do this on selection or induction. Once you get in to 1 Alpha you will be gradually introduced to this.
chris78290

Post by chris78290 »

well as the PTI's from RMR London obviously believe it would be beneficial, (the fact they put it in their training program suggests this)
and you have previously said you have no connection with RMR London, I will listen to their advice, so does ANYONE ELSE have anything constructive to say so I can choose a pair of suitable boots. Some have said Danner in the past as far as I can see, would others concur with this...
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

What is the point of asking a question if you immediately dismiss people's answers based on your limited knowledge?

Firstly, you are right that I am not connected to RMR London yet; that is because I am still in Phase One training at RMR London.

Secondly, as far as I am aware, that leaflet has been given out to people applying for the PRMC for years, and was not written by the London PTIs (Although I accept that I could be wrong on this).

One London PTI I spoke to told me that, during training, he only ran in boots on training nights. Another alternated one run a week - one week boots, one week weight. However, this was not until several weeks into One Alpha.

Remember, running in something other than trainers designed for running, affects the alignment of the knees, and causes greater impact on the legs, which can result in damaged knee, ankle and hip joints and problems like shin splints. It is, therefore, important that such training is properly supervised and monitored, and only undertaken when necessary.

If you still want to run in boots, you should only use the issue assault boots, as this is the only boot you would be allowed to use during training. I would recommend getting a pair of superfeet insoles as well.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I am currently in Phase 1a at RMR London after having passed my selection and induction earlier this year. At no point will you need to run in boots over these weekends and doing so before might give rise to an injury that will hinder your chances of passing selection!

I have noticed that people have different views on running in boots. Personally I tend to follow the advice of my PTI and not to do any of my running training in boots. If you want to be a better runner then train in running shoes. Once you get your assault boots on the induction weekend (if you pass selection!) then it’s important to break them in. I did this by walking around in them and a few runs on soft ground, which has worked fine.

To be honest I wouldn’t worry about shelling out on some expensive boots, going through all the trouble of breaking them in, only to be given a nice shiny new pair that you will be using for all your speed marches etc. To pass selection work on your running in trainers then once you’re in you can break in your issued boots. Remember that every trainer and boot is going to be slightly different and this can affect your knees in particular. Which means that the fewer different boots you have to break in the better.

My humble advice for anyone wishing to pass RMR selection is to work on the running, in trainers and certainly with no weight. And of course work on your circuits! I know it’s hard but try not to get hung up on the number of press ups etc that you can do. Most of the work on selection is being thrashed silly doing all kinds of exercises! :D

Oh, and a bit of swimming would help to.

Worry about the boots later!
Statistic

Post by Statistic »

This advise comes from having got half way through RMR training (Quit for various personal reasons) and is from my own personal experience and what I and the rest of the troop was told by the PTIs. I DO NOT claim to know all but as their is a lack of coherent advise in this topic I thought I might add my two bob so someone else can get some use out of it.

I found that the best way to prep for the selection weekend (which did not feature any activities wearing boots when I did it a couple of years ago) was to just run your tits of - short distance runs, i.e 3 milers and 1.5 milers for speed, a couple of longer ones for extended Aerobic, and plenty of circuits & sprints- Fartlek is WELL worth it too + the swimming - stay away from boots before selection (but I already had a pair of issue boots and did a couple of runs in them before selection which I found beneficial). Basically you want variety and effort.
After selection it's time to start introducing boots and weight. If, like me you struggle with speed marches then your gonna wanna get your boots on and a little bit of weight (build it up) and practice your speed marching - try and keep it on the grass to minimise potential injuries and be carefull, etc. Realistically you’ll need to train in your own time, in boots in One Alpha because you’ll be spending every training weekend and every drill night in them getting beasted to f**k and if your not used to it then you will struggle as you'll see running in boots is somewhat harder than trainers and shorts.
Also when you get to sunny Lympstone they will expect you to be at regular week 15 equivalent and will treat you as such, there for if your not used to training in boots all day long then, doing the endurance course and what have you then again, not a good day out.
So yes, basically - train in boots, not every day but once or twice a week, maybe more, and build into it, the more comfortable you get in them the ‘easier’ it’s gonna be (When Bravo comes around it's all gonna be in Boots AND fighting order). On the Drill nights after Induction they will soon have you doing Bottomfieldesque style drill night sessions in boots - So make sure you practice Circuits and sprints in boots also.

If you wanna play it safe and stick to trainers then fine, but you will have to work a little harder, but come on, your Royal Marines recruits, lets not put any sugar on it!

JZ.
"Nobody said it was gonna be easy!"