Share This Page:

Training for the Leadership course?

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
toughasfakenails

Training for the Leadership course?

Post by toughasfakenails »

I'm a female sergeant in the Air Training Corps, and I'm thinking of going on the Air Cadet Leadership Course @ RAF Stafford or Frimley Park next year. The only thing I really know about it is that is is a very physically demanding course and that they hold a test on the first day to make sure you can cut it. If you can't, they send you home :( I think the requirements for the test are that females can run 1 1/2 miles in 12 minutes (?) and that they can do 15 push-ups in 1 minute. Now, the push-ups I'm not too worried about but I have never been a good runner and I'm not too sure about the running thing. My stamina used to be quite good because I did karate for about 3 years but then I joined the ATC, haha. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for me getting fit enough for the course (it's in June next year) because there is absolutely no way I am getting sent home :P
just because i'm a girl and you're a bloke does not make you better than me.
B_H100

Post by B_H100 »

If I were you I would look at the MFAT website or look at some past posts in `Joining the Army/RAF`, about improving fitness.

When I went on the ACLC at RAF Stafford we had to do the one and a half mile run at about 5.30 in the morning. Not everybody completed it within the set time, but because those who had `failed` showed good effort they were allowed to stay.

That isn't to say you shouldn't try to complete it in the quickest time possible, as a better time on the run will give you a better final report, increasing your chance of gaining a merit or a much valued distinction.
RAF Mancunian

Post by RAF Mancunian »

Hi, I'm an acting seargent in the ATC and did the Leadership course at RAF Stafford in July this year. From what I have gathered, the course run at Frimley Park is much more fun, as it is based on field leadership e.g, leading in a combat situation, but if you wan't to join the RAF, then the course at Stafford is DEFINATELY the one you wan't as it is basically a week of RAF Initial Officer Training. Interms of fitness for this course, females need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 11 and a half minutes. Females only need to be able to do around 10 press-ups (the ones you do on you're knees), amd around the same amount of sit-ups. Also, practice tying knots! I know this sounds stupid, but you need to know you're knots and lashes as you will constantly be doing leadership exercises where you have to ties logs together and other things similar. Just get your running sorted and you will be fine.
The course at Stafford was the best I've ever done in the ATC and I really do recommend it to you. If you need any info or advice on the course then e-mail me and I'll be happy to help :D

Adam