Share This Page:

Couples joining the RAF

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
nhthomson

Couples joining the RAF

Post by nhthomson »

Hi,
this is probably a silly question but I shall go ahead and ask anyway.....

My partner & I are both considering joining the RAF but have a few concerns.
I understand that the RAF comes before everything else once you join, but would they honor our relationship at all? E.g. bases & deployment dates, to the best of their ability of course.

Any information would be appreciated :)
Tab

Re: Couples joining the RAF

Post by Tab »

I would largely depends on what trades you take up, different trades may be needed in different places, but I would think the RAF would consider its needs before yours
Zero_Higher

Post by Zero_Higher »

Hi,

Like any of the services there is absolutely no guarantee that your partner and you will receive the same posting. Operations are complex, dangerous and demanding - both physically and mentally. As Tab has rightfully stated, operational effectiveness will be the top priority. The RAF is structured and trained for operations (crab air jokes aside and not for the convenience barrack life. On joining the military you have to accept a commitment to serve whenever and wherever you are needed, whatever the difficulties or dangers may be. Such commitment imposes certain strains on any relationship.

Relationships of course exist within the forces and only you two will know if you are strong enough. But in terms of policy, the military has no duty of care to ensure you are with your girlfriend.

Zero.
A determined person doesn't find it hard to succeed; they find it hard to stop trying
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

For married couples they do try and co-locate you if they can, but it isn't always possible.
Plenty of military marriages (I mean where both are serving) work just fine, but at the end of the day it has to be your call. Going through training together would be an odd one - you'd definitely not be allowed to share accommodation and it's possible they would deliberately put you on different start dates in order to avoid it.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours