Share This Page:

RAF vs Army

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
stepperry

RAF vs Army

Post by stepperry »

If a serviceperson had just been commissioned had a university degree and how long would take to become a Flight Lieutenant.
How much a difference in the number of years at Flight Lieutenant to become a Squadron Leader based on wether officer is a Logistics Officer vs Flight Operations Officer vs Personal Officer vs Engineer vs Pilot?

When a serviceperson officer changes from the RAF to Army who been in the 3-6 or 12 years what rank would officer once any training he needed to do a job in the Army or the other way round?

How common is to transfer between different services?
Tab

Re: RAF vs Army

Post by Tab »

I think you would have to be a Pilot Officer first and that is the same as a Rupert
stepperry

Post by stepperry »

In the RAF do those are commissioned as Pilot Officer who have university degrees get seniority or not like those in the Army.
How long does it usually take to earn promotion to Squadron Leader? How much a difference does seniority make along the way from Pilot Officer to Squadron Leader?
Tab

Post by Tab »

Promotion will depend on your ability and with you that could take a long time, as you don't seem to be able to reason things out your self and need some else to do your thinking for you
stepperry

Post by stepperry »

I am an American and a civilian. So I just want general information to compare the average promotion periods for the Junior Ranks or Field grade Officer. ( i.e. Second Lieutenant-Captian or is it Major in the British Army or Flying Officer-Flight Lieutenant or is it Squadron Leader) It takes about 6-8 year to earn the rank of Major.
What does this mean:
Subaltern (Second Lieutenant) -- April or December 2007 with Seniority of -- April or December 2004
Subaltern (Lieutenant) -- April or December 2007 with Seniority of -- April or December 2006
Does the RAF do it this way to.

I know in the US Junior Officers 2nd Lt-Major the Army and USAF.

Second Lieutenant and Lieutenant are commissioned officer ranks in the British Army and Royal Marines as well as in the US Army, US Marines and US Air Force.
Are the "with April or December 2004" and "with Seniority of -- April or December 2006" parts just fancy way of saying the newly commissioned officer will be a Captain four years if he doesn't into trouble and does job within the military? Does the RAF this to or not?
Last edited by stepperry on Thu 18 Oct, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Sounds like he is talking about the Air Cadets, which don't have a rank of officer in them here