Share This Page:

New replacement aircraft for Nimrod

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
yau2801

New replacement aircraft for Nimrod

Post by yau2801 »

Hi, I am a university student working on a project looking into the replacement of the RAF's maritime patrol aircraft. As the Nimrod has such a high capability it is extremely hard to find a replacement that make us throwing Nimrod behind our head. However the Navy has spoken about the lack of protections to their ships and subs so clearly the issue must be solved.

I have been looking into a few existing MPAs, for example the P-8, P-3, some from Airbus Military like A320MPA and those turboprops, however I have also looked into converting some aircrafts that is presently not used for MPA missions:
the new A400M, although as a transport aircraft, I can imagine that it can be converted into a MPA, with the heavy lift capability it can probably stick a few more fuel tanks onto it to extend its range. Avionics can use those packages provided by Airbus 'FITS', which could probably save some cost as the plane itself is from airbus as well.

I choose A400M based on the fact that it is a turboprop, which is quite suitable for low altitude operations like ASW, and search & rescue. the capability of short field Take off/landing means it has more airfields available for operation. The 'discount' that we get from Airbus means saving another chunk of money, or we can convert some of the A400M that we have bought as well.

Apart from the original row it is for (MPA), it can also be used for long range special rapid deployment for light armed troops, due to the extended range from the extra fuel tanks, also possibilities in secondary role as a fuel tanks as well.

I work my project in a way that as if I am presenting a proposal to the RAF, therefore a bit of imagination is used above. I would like to heard more voice from everyone here as I will definately gain from the expertise from people here. Cheers!
Tab

Re: New replacement aircraft for Nimrod

Post by Tab »

Are they going to replace it, or just leave a big hole in the defences
Smith28

Post by Smith28 »

Aren't they replacing them with RC-135's from the US?

I read an article about out, called the Rivet Joint isn't it?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

That's not a Maritime Patrol Aircraft, it's a reconnaissance platform.
It's replacing the Nimrod R1, not the MR2/MRA4
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Smith28

Post by Smith28 »

That's interesting.

So what is going to be replacing that role then? Can ASTOR be used for maritime patrol? Oh wait that's being binned too. :-?
Tab

Post by Tab »

I wonder if there are old Shackletons left, may be they could press those back into service.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Short Sunderlands are the only aircraft within the price range :D
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now there is an aircraft to fly in, you can't beat those old beauties