Share This Page:

RAF and Uni

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Jeni

RAF and Uni

Post by Jeni »

Hey
I just wanted your advice because I have recently started Uni but now I am not sure if I had made the right descion or not. I have always wanted to join the RAF so its not like a snap descion but I have had this nagging feeling for months now that maybe I should have joined the RAF rather than go the Uni route but took the Uni route as I defo had a place where as I hadn't even began the RAF application process. I also know alot of posts are closed at the minute. However since starting Uni that feeling hasn't gone away and seems to have got stronger! I know I should be lucky that I got a Uni place but for me it doesn't seem like the right choice! I just wondered if anyone has been in the same situation as me as it would be interesting to read your comments.
Thank you :)
timex

Post by timex »

Jeni, not been in your situation but I would say that getting a degree will open quite a few doors for you when you do join. You don't say what branch you want to join or if you want a commission? Do they have a UAS at your Uni?
Sully

Post by Sully »

I'd agree with that but add that you should give it a go at Uni first. The first few weeks are a bit of a culture shock but you'll soon settle down with some good friends. I had a complete ball but nearly jacked it in after a few weeks. Do look into forces 'clubs' at Uni (I'm afraid I don't know what the UAS is) and it might help you meet people that you have something in common with or can relate to. I took a look at the Officers Training Corps but the fella who interviewed me made it pretty clear that it wasn't really for people from my background. That was quite a long time ago and I'd imagine that things have changed but it put me off and only years later I joined the RM as an 'other rank', and had even more of a ball. You've stacks of time and finding time and money to study when you're older isn't easy. Good luck!
Per Flank, Per Tank
HRH

Post by HRH »

Of my friends who went to uni barely any of them have actually used their degrees and are now doing jobs that didn't even require a degree

Other than if you want to join the forces as an officer I don't see all the hype about getting a degree (and the £ thousands of debt to go with it)
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I'd just like to underline what timex and Sully have said.
You have a place at university,so use it.Dropping out after a couple of weeks is a waste of your education so far.
Just my two cents.
Jeni

Post by Jeni »

Timex,
I am hoping to enter as an intelligence officer I would initially try to go for officer however if I didn't suit then I would go for analyst. Above you were saying about culture shock but for me it isn't that as such, since I used to live in a boarding school so I have come to Uni being so used to living away while for everyone else its new for them! so while everyone else is spending money on rubbish and always staying up for me I know when to study and and how much I need to spend each week. At times I feel so much maturer than them (however you could argue I am adopting an immiture attitude even thinking about dropping out of my degree) I just get fed up in lectures learning about essential study skills when I feel I could be learning something much more practical!
Yes my Uni is attached to a UAS and I wanted to apply but I got my timetable and I found I couldn't even make the week camp which is held for successful applicants bacause I am still at Uni and I have got tests which are important. A few of my lectures finish at six too which would be hard to catch two trains to be there before 7.00 my degree course has a lot of extra reading and contact time (again you can argue which degree doesn't) I am really disappointed about this
hope that answers your questions
timex

Post by timex »

Jeni, you posted just before I replied, whatever you do Good luck..

Some degrees can be sponsored by the MOD, Dentist,Doctor and Engineers. (unless things have changed)

UAS University Air Squadrons, easy way to get a feel for the RAF and Flying.
Last edited by timex on Tue 06 Oct, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I'm with everyone else on this one.
With recruitment levels at a record high at the moment, a lot of branches are closed, so you'll have a much better chance of getting in, and getting a trade you actually want, if you get your degree first.
It will also look a darned sight better on your application! It proves dedication, academic ability, and ability to manage your own life, not to mention all the opportunities for personal development...
Join the UAS if they have one (University Air Squadron for those who don't know), get involved with clubs/societies/anyone who does anything for charity.

EDIT: If you're going for IntO I would DEFINITELY recommend staying in - we only take on about 8 a year anyway, and at least half of those come from within the ranks! A degree would put you in a much better position on application. The stupid lectures on study skills will soon be over.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
HRH

Post by HRH »

Hyperlithe wrote: and ability to manage your own life.
Erm, aren't students told where to go and what time to go there? The life of a student is not exactly representative of an adult in the real world managing their own life lol

Best of luck with your decision 8)
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Well I don't know where you went (or if you went, to be fair) but my life certainly wasn't managed by anyone else when I was a student!
I managed my own time in order to attend all my lectures and complete my coursework by the deadlines, managed my finances in order to pay my rent, eat properly, and have a social life, and managed to hold down a full-time job during my final year in order not to leave uni with massive debts.
So how is that any different from an adult in the real world managing their own life? Doesn't everyone with a job get told where to go and when?
:lol:
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

HRH wrote:Erm, aren't students told where to go and what time to go there? The life of a student is not exactly representative of an adult in the real world managing their own life lol
Same could be said of the military! :P

INCOMING!!!!
HRH

Post by HRH »

Youre right that everyone with a job is told where and when they need to be, but don't get mollycoddled and mentored like students do lol

Student life is a doss everyone knows that!

(No I didn't go by the way, I was sent to work in the mines at 16 to put porridge on the table for the family)
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

BoredStupid - you are entirely right! I agree with you, especially when it comes to the Junior Ranks.

HRH, are you basing your opinion of student life on Hollyoaks then? :lol:
Mollycoddling and mentoring? Nope, don't remember seeing any of that, except for when my best mate nearly died from meningitis...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
HRH

Post by HRH »

haha well I may be partly basic it on hollyoaks but also on my sisters/friends expereinces
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10
HRH

Post by HRH »

basing not basic, army on the brain you see
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10