Share This Page:

fan dance on II squadron pre para??

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
TommyCrown

fan dance on II squadron pre para??

Post by TommyCrown »

Just saw a trainning vid for pre para, is it true that part of the selection is a tab in full kit across the fan dance??
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

I don't even know what that is "across the fan dance" ?...But when I did it in 82 at RAF Hullavington it was a 6 mile run every day for three weeks with full kit (including camp bed, sleeping bag and LAW). And in the old low DMS boots. :D ....none of those comfortable high boots with stitched in tongues for us...oh no..we still had cardboard boots and puttees....pull up a sandbag lad and swing the tilly lamp :D
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

LB welcome back! sounds like you had it bad with the cardboard boots mate lol and we now have luxurious little bit of elastic called bunjies to replace the puttys, modern technology eh!

To the original poster :
try this link http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic ... art=0.html
'Every man an Emperor'
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Cheers Gunner. Oh yea, we had bunjies too & we could buy & wear our own high boots of our choice for everyday Sqn tasks, range work and exericses. But when it came to official stuff like course runs, visits to other stations and parades it was always back to the low issued DMS boots and puttees.

For bunjies by the way, most of us on II Sqn back then didn't use those flimsy green twisted things you could buy in the Naafi like the rest of the Regt, oh no, being on the "jumpng-out-of-perfectly-good-aircraft" mob we made a point of using the parachute elastics that ripped open the parachute bag. They were much better, with a solid hook at each end of a solid 8" long strong elastic cord, about 1/4" diameter, and they really held your trousers in place. I'm using them in those photos. Of course to get hold of them you had to either nick them off a discarded bag or in my case have a mate in the Survival Equipment section, who also furnished me with some major knives. :D