Share This Page:

Curious about accommodation

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Silly question time folks, just out of idle curiousity really.

What is junior ranks accommodation in the block really like? I've heard of SLAM and seen pictures of all the nice new shiney rooms with en suite, etc, but what's at the other end of the scale? What's the best and worst scenario of RAF single accommodation?
On a related note, how do things like internet access, phone, TV licence, etc work?
All things I'll learn in time, no doubt, but no harm in knowing ahead of time...
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Worst case scenario you'll be in a room that's 8' by 8', with a wardrobe, and a sink, and a 3' wide bed. Bathroom down the hall that you have to share with about 12 other people and the heating makes strange noises all night but doesn't actually give out any heat. Oh, and there's no hot water some days. I think there are a couple of places where you're still expected to share rooms, but they tend to be Army bases.

Your accommodation charges that are taken out of your pay reflect the standard of accommodatiopn you're in though.

In any case, if you have a tv you have to have a tv licence. Don't expect to have a phone socket in the room, although some places might, if the previous occupant has paid to have it installed. If there is, you'll need to call BT (or whoever) to get it activated, and pay the bill every month.
You'll also have Bull Nights on a fairly regular basis, as the Station Commander likes to do inspections every so often. Not at stupid o'clock in the morning though, don't worry!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Hyperlithe wrote:Worst case scenario you'll be in a room that's 8' by 8', with a wardrobe, and a sink, and a 3' wide bed. Bathroom down the hall that you have to share with about 12 other people and the heating makes strange noises all night but doesn't actually give out any heat. Oh, and there's no hot water some days.
You paint such an enticing picture of all these things I have to look forward to! :wink:
AST - PASSED
TG Course - ???
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Well you did ask for worst case scenario!

Oh and that particular example is a SNCO's mess!
:lol:
Don't go thinking we get gucci accommodation just because we're higher ranks... Some RAF bases the junior ranks are in SLAM blocks, all en suite, whilst everyone in the Sgts' Mess still has to share bathrooms.
It really does vary quite a bit.
Hopefully all the accommodation will get updated within the next few years, and it will all be lovely (but more expensive to live in...)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Interesting about the variation between ranks, I always assumed the Sergeants' mess would always be nicer than the lower classes (sorry, ranks!). Anything will be better than my current arrangements anyway, £400 a month for my 1/3 share in a 3 bedroom house between a sewage works and a pikey site in South London. :roll:
AST - PASSED
TG Course - ???
Alarkhertrape

Post by Alarkhertrape »

Thats right, I recall reading that about Rex awhile back.

Nah, I do not have any particular question I need answered, just curious as Im embarking upon the field myself. Thanks. =
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

It doesnt matter anyway if your going for the Rockapes, as you will be out in very sandy habitats once past training - for most of the year! Accomodation is usually in the form of lots of canvas, some poles and a quantity of pegs :o
'Every man an Emperor'