Share This Page:

Didnt pass the interview. What now?

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
swompy

Didnt pass the interview. What now?

Post by swompy »

Hey

I had an interview with the AFCO on Wednesday for movements controller but I got a letter today saying I was unsuccessful. :cry:

I don’t know what to do next. Can I reapply or is the RAF completely out the window now.

I don’t understand how I didn’t get into the regulars as the job I was going for is the same as what I’m doing with the reserves and the interview was the same. :-?

The reason I went for movements controller is because its what I’m doing now with RAuxAF, then once I had joined the RAF and passed all phases of training I was going to retake my GCSE math’s to get a grade C. Which is what I need to get to WSOp.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Could be politics. In the US military they often have a billet filled already, but allow soldiers to interview with the commander and 1st SGT just as a formality.

But hey at least you got an interview. Keep trying, beat their door down. The best way to get a person to stop bothering you about a job is to hire them I have found.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
timex

Post by timex »

Go back to your AFCO and have a chat with him about what doors are still open to you, also if you can, get some feedback from your interview. Chances are they will still have some jobs available to you just not your first choice. (Unless you dropped a massive clanger at the interview)?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

It may well be a trade for which we're not currently recruiting. I would agree with the previous posts, go back to the AFCO for feedback and alternative options. If you really want to join, don't let this stop you!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
swompy

Post by swompy »

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to contact them tomorrow and find out.

I’m just can't work it out as it was exactly the same type of questions I had for the reserves and I gave the same answers as before.

I'm not going to give up as if you stop at the first hurdle you wont get any were in life.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I had open doors all the way in the military when I was in. Just had that kind of luck. When I got out that is when I experienced the shut doors. With a college degree from a very good university. clean record, pristine military record for 10 years and I was denied a job managing a car rental site. Talk about a tough time trying to rationalize that one. And then a few months later I landed a very high paying job. Funny I wasn't good enough for a 35K a year job, but for a 130K a year job I was hired on the spot. Sometimes it is just luck I guess.
If this is something you dream of doing beat their door down, it it is just something you want to do at the moment, look around. Your willingness to serve says to me you are a good man. Ever think of applying for Special Operations?
I had a friend who was in Commo and loved it, his job was being phased out so on a whim he went to Special Forces selection, made it and is now after a long winding road a doctor still serving with the Green Berets.

You just keep your chin up and chest out. You'll get what you want and end up where you are supposed to be.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
swompy

Post by swompy »

Whitey wrote:I had open doors all the way in the military when I was in. Just had that kind of luck. When I got out that is when I experienced the shut doors. With a college degree from a very good university. clean record, pristine military record for 10 years and I was denied a job managing a car rental site. Talk about a tough time trying to rationalize that one. And then a few months later I landed a very high paying job. Funny I wasn't good enough for a 35K a year job, but for a 130K a year job I was hired on the spot. Sometimes it is just luck I guess.
If this is something you dream of doing beat their door down, it it is just something you want to do at the moment, look around. Your willingness to serve says to me you are a good man. Ever think of applying for Special Operations?
I had a friend who was in Commo and loved it, his job was being phased out so on a whim he went to Special Forces selection, made it and is now after a long winding road a doctor still serving with the Green Berets.

You just keep your chin up and chest out. You'll get what you want and end up where you are supposed to be.

Cheers Whitey.

I guess every thing happens for a reason. Like you said if you wasn't denied the 35k job you wouldn't be on the wage you are now and I’m shore you would prefer it the way it is now.

I'm not going to give up as every since I can remember I've had a fascination with the armed forces and I’m not going to let something like this stop me.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Then go for it Bro and don't let any f@#k stand in your way.
Commanders like persistence. And you are right, I aimed at something I thought was a sure deal for job security and boy did that hit me when I was told I wasn't qualified by a person who couldn't speak English clearly and wore a cheap suits.
But it works out.
Actually do you know how I eneded up with the Marines when I was younger?
I was headed to an Air Wing, but I had a friend who was stuck, yep stuck going Marine Infantry and he was very afraid to go. I switched orders with him. It was luck mostly. I was in very good shape back then, the training was easy for me. It was discipline I had a hard time with. Rebel blood and all. But I really enjoyed it. Many things happen by accident and work out well. Sort of like meeting girls, the best ones are the ones you never had your sights on. They just appear.
Good luck and just kick their door in.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I was talking to a RSM the other day and they have more applicants for jobs than they know what to do with, and it will take months to process them all
swompy

Post by swompy »

I’m willing to give anything up to have a career in the armed forces as its all ways been my dream and your not going to find a career in civi street with as many opportunities, job security, travel, work college who you could trust your life with, a decent wage and pension you get from the armed forces.

My girl friend isn’t happy about me wanting to join but if she is going to stand in front of me not beside me then I'm going to have to say good bye.

At the end of the day I'm still young (19), its my life so I'm going to do what ever the F*@k I want with it and when I’m 60 odd I want to look back at my life and say I've achieved something with it.
swompy

Post by swompy »

I just rang the AFCO about my application for the RAF and asked what my options are. I was told that they can’t tell me why I was unsuccessful and I can’t reapply which means I can’t have a career in the RAF.

I just can’t work out why. I gave the same answer I did for the reserves, so how can I get into the reserves but not the regulars.
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

I don't know If the RAF reserves work the same as the army but you could try putting your all In to the RAF reserves then get a FTRS (full time reserve service) then see If you can move across to reg.

I know of a few people In the TA that have done this, not because they were refused entry to the regulars but that they just found themselves liking the job they do. From what a can gather the regular regiment that you are on the FTRS with do like you to have a couple of years of experience (once finished basic and trade training) and now days a tour of somewhere hot and sandy.
swompy

Post by swompy »

Well I just emaild the Cpl that done my interview for the reserves and told her what as happens, so just going to wait and see what she has to say.

Also my parents work for the MOD and my mum works with an officer from the RAF who is going to ring the AFCO and try and get some info out of them.