Share This Page:

Another RAF Regiment post

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
varsity

Another RAF Regiment post

Post by varsity »

Hi all.

I am one of the undecided, always been interested in the military in general and have been looking at my options over the last 4-5 months whilst getting my fairly atrocious fitness up to scratch.

I have been reading alot about the RAF Regiment (booooo hissssssssssss, f@#k off batman).
I have some simple questions if possible.

1) I hear promotion prospects are better in the RAF, is this true?

2) I am interested (I cant really say why, but I like explosions :D) in the forward air controller role (FAC?). Is this something you can train for specifically?

3) Are there any specific qualifications that are useful when applying for the RAF Regiment? I have good GCSE's and a couple of pishy A levels, but never really got me head down in college and just got out into the working world. If there are any qualifications that would be a help I might look into getting something down whilst going through my physical training.

4) I hear there is more flexibility in changing roles/squadrons every few years. Is this true?

I had been looking into being a Navy diver, but have always fancied something more boots on the ground so am trying to weigh up all my options before signing on the line.

Please can all the naysayer's and 'Para > RAF' people ignore this post. I'm well aware some people don't like the RAF Regiment, but it seems up my ally so :P to you
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Ill attempt to answer what I can, in short:

1. Not really. In my opinion its more fast tracked in the army i.e more younger blokes in junior NCO positions than in Regiment. Its on merit but the more experienced blokes will get promoted first when vacancies arise.

2.Yes. Providing you complete the Reg's Pre-Para and then the army's P-company.

3.Not really. Ability to mix well, be a team player and have a sense of humour far outweigh how many gcse's you may have. Although it never hurts having extra strings for your bow.

4.yes. Plenty of courses etc to do/apply for. Sqn rotation is on as needed basis.
'Every man an Emperor'
HMK

Post by HMK »

Don't know if you can help gunner75, but trying to get more info on where the Regiment is at the minute and what they are up to, and the RAF page is not too good. Any good sites you use at all?
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Oh dear.
Is that really the time? Yawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Over to you H_N 8)
Er,no offence :P
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
HMK

Post by HMK »

You tired harry hackedoff, not surprised, must be what, 1.55am in Perth. Old man like you shouldn't be behind a computer at this time! :D :D
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Nah mate, sorry but the only sites I paruse are usually full of filth and smut , then more filth and more smut....
'Every man an Emperor'
HMK

Post by HMK »

Cheers anyway.

Where is the filth and smut on this one then.... :D
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

02 18 local mate :wink:
And bored rather than tired, if you get my drift :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
HMK

Post by HMK »

Case of the same old, same old I presume your getting at? :wink:
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

dont know ask H :o
'Every man an Emperor'
London Boy

Re: Another RAF Regiment post

Post by London Boy »

varsity wrote:Hi all.

4) I hear there is more flexibility in changing roles/squadrons every few years. Is this true?
4. Yes. I moved around plenty.
Q

Post by Q »

Really wicked sense of humour, thick skin, team player, piss head and a very understanding missus, some of the things that you need to be a Rock Ape!