Share This Page:

Drugs

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Skiddywinks

Drugs

Post by Skiddywinks »

Hey guys and gals.

Before I say anything, I know full well that any drug use in the forces is grounds for dismissal and that they have random drug tests etc.

I'm not going to lie, I have done drugs in the past, but never once out of addiction or need, always recreational, as if going out for a drink. I have never snorted or injected anything, and have stopped taking drugs due to wishing to pursue a career in the RAF. It really was that easy to stop doing them, just went cold turkey and I haven't had any cravings what so ever.

My question is, if I am asked if I have done them in the past in an interview, am I best off being honest and saying I have but they were never a chronic thing and I never really abused them? Or Should I just lie and say I have never touched them? By the time it comes to interviews and stuff I have no doubt my system will be totally clean (apparently cannabis stays in the system for up to 3 months).

Thanks for any advice guys, especially on such a touchy subject.
~Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead, Go Instead Where There Is No Path, And Leave A Trail~
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

I would advise that honesty is always the best policy. You will be asked to make declarations during your recruitment process. If you make a false declaration you will be compromised.

When you do confess, be totally open and honest. Do not try to use any 'ifs' and 'buts' as it makes you sound like a naughty teenager.

Look at this link. It quotes politicians talkiing about their association with drugs. Look at how the ones highlighted in red appear.

viewtopic.php?t=15784

Sorry I for got to put the link in!
Last edited by Rogue Chef on Sun 05 Aug, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

I had the same thing, when I was In my teenage years I did a bit of recreational dope smoking mostly at parties, never brought the stuff or personally had the stuff to my self or smoked it on my own. This Is what I said when asked, by that time It had been a couple of years since I had smoked the stuff as by then I had become a bit of a fitness freak any way.
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Same, lately I have gone into fitness overdrive and have stopped doing drugs (even thought it was rare anyway since all my friends are a good 20 minute drive from me), and even stopped drinking alcohol.

Fruit, carbs and protein for me!

Oh, and I can't seem to that link.

Thanks for the input.
~Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead, Go Instead Where There Is No Path, And Leave A Trail~
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

When asked at interview I was honest and said I had tried it a few times at uni. (To be honest, most people who have been to uni will have done at some point!) I answered all the ensuing questions truthfully, and had no problems being accepted into the RAF.
The sort of questions you will probably be asked go along the lines of "where did you get it from, what effect did it have, when was the last time you did it..." etc.

It's not really a big deal any more, as long as you stick to the truth, and you haven't done it recently.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Well I heard the only drug that stays in your system for a lenghty amount of time is cannabis. Bearing in mind the last time I had some (it was very little, but I would still much rather be safe) was a couple of weeks ago, how long should I wait before going in?
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

From my testing experiance cannabis will stay in your system for approx 30 days and the likes or Heroin only 3 days depending on the cut.

Obviously if you are a heavy user then this may be a little longer.

I have only tested urine but i believe that you can now use hair to conduct tests and this will show if you have used any drugs from quite a while back, but forces being on tight budgets unless it's for decorating a Generals pad they would only use urine to test.

Regarding honesty, if i hadn't used any drugs for some time then i personnally wouldn't say a thing but then thats just my choice.
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

Skiddywinks wrote:Well I heard the only drug that stays in your system for a lenghty amount of time is cannabis. Bearing in mind the last time I had some (it was very little, but I would still much rather be safe) was a couple of weeks ago, how long should I wait before going in?
See my previous post!

To be on the safe side i would give it about 40 days for cannabis to be out of your system.

Just don't ever go back to it though mate or you will get booted out, the high of the job should be enough :D :D
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Thanks for the info goldie. In all honesty, I only ever did cannabis because, back when I started, it was a lot easier to get a hold of than alcohol. Talk about ironic.

Up until about 2 months ago it was just a kind of habit to have a joint or two when out with friends or camping etc. Never would have smoked it on my own though. Don't even drink on my own. Well, don't drink at all anymore, but you get my point :p

By the time I go in it should have been arather lengthy amount of time since my last encounter, so I should be fine.

Oh, and out of curiosity, I heard LSD is out of your system after something daft like 24 hours, and the only test for it is a needle to the spine or something equally as mad. Any truth to that?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

If you've ever taken LSD they won't let you in at all.
We got the story (and photos... :o ) from when one guy had a flashback after ten years and stabbed his wife numerous times and then tried to saw her head off with a bread knife because she came into the I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!! while he was making a sandwich and he thought she was a 2-headed dragon.
(She may have been, but that's beside the point.)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Hyperlithe,
Seems like a simple case of mistaken identity to me. It could happen to anyone. Been there a couple of times myself!!
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

LOL! Christ, that sounds brutal :S

Ok, not going to say anything about LSD I don't think...
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

I'd agree that honesty works best, obviously if you come across as a complete stoner and cant string a sentence together and you finish most phrases with 'dooood' or 'woaah man' then I doubt they'll take you seriously.
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Ahahaha, Don't worry, I was never that bad ant any point really. Much less now! :p

Looks like I'm being honest then. Except maybe the LSD... What about Ecstasy/MDMA?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I'm sorry mate, but if you've taken LSD you really should think twice about joining up. You never know when you could have a flashback - what if you had a weapon at the time?
It's impossible to know what damage it could have done in your brain.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours