Share This Page:

Joining as a pilot.

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
stevebishop

Joining as a pilot.

Post by stevebishop »

I've read the RAF careers website and am deciding what A Level's to take to stand me in good stead for a place as a pilot. It says preferably GCSE's A-C in Maths and English language. Those are easy to get and was wondering if doing A Level maths and english language would be even better or just unnecessary. Says 2 A Levels or equivalent, so should I do them 2 or stick to ones I will enjoy more.

Thanks
rawli

Post by rawli »

There are two schools of thought on this. The first is that you take a broad range of subjects ie a science, history and media studies for example to show diversity but on the other hand something like physics will help you a lot when it comes to learning principles of flight. Its up to you.
Eat pie and fly - That's the multi-engined way
stevebishop

Post by stevebishop »

Thanks, spose physics would help. :o
Scopie

Post by Scopie »

I'll be frank,

although it says 5 A-C GCSE grade, you need pretty much need 11 A's.

And some science based subjects, possibly even a degree, and a very brod knowledge of current affairs,

I don't mean to deter you. I am just trying to make sure you know as many as the facts as possible.
_chris

Post by _chris »

Why don't you do Maths, English plus 2 others you'll enjoy, the workload on 4 is easy enough to cope with, most people who start with 5 have to drop down before the end of first year. By doing it that way youll have maths and english which you know they'll want plus you have others to keep you motivated through college and to possibly help your case with the RAF and even after when you come round to getting another job.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Remember it's not all about your qualifications - make sure you have a well-developed social life, do charity work, that sort of thing.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

make sure you have a well-developed social life, do charity work, that sort of thing.
Yes, and tell them you like swimming and horse riding, make all your own dresses and your goal in life is world peace :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

You eavesdropped on my joining interview?

I'm disappointed in you. All I wanted was to help little fluffy animals...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
rawli

Post by rawli »

Scopie what you have said above is inaccurate, if you have been through the OASC and IOT process then you should know this. If you havn't then I suggest you 'check your fire' on this issue.
Eat pie and fly - That's the multi-engined way
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

stevebishop wrote:Thanks, spose physics would help. :o
i hope this helps, i spent the day with 9 sqn pilots at RAF Marham! their great and very helpful! i asked pilots and navigators wot a-levels they took! one pilot had maths,physics and chemistry a-levels! the other had maths,history and psychology! i guess a maths a-level would be good if your good at maths! the RAF would rather see A GCSE maths instead of a E A-level maths lol! you'll be tested on your maths skills at OASC so dont feel the need to do A-level maths!
KiLLiNgo

Post by KiLLiNgo »

WELL I have spoken to the AFCO in Birmingham. They told me BOLDY that they want Mr. Perfect for a pilot. They want the creaming on the cake.

Simply...

ALL GCSE's A+!
ALL As Levels A+!
ALL Degree's A+!

Well aware of the RAF actions and bases around the world

Fully knows all specs of all planes in the RAF currently used (DUH! You be trained to use one)

Socialable and a well experienced in life.

A few jobs down the line!

Thats what they want... can you fill those big shoes? :P Do you deserve that monster paycheque?
Survival Equipment Fitter
Aptitude Test - PASSED!
Selection Interview - PASSED!
Medical - PASSED!
Pre Fitness Test - PASSED!
Final Interview - January 2nd!
Halton - January 23rd!
Cosford - Febuary!
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Add to that that you have to be the right height, and your arms and legs can be neither too long or too short for operating the controls in the cockpit. And your eyesight has to be perfect...

No problems really!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
KiLLiNgo

Post by KiLLiNgo »

Adding to the "height" subject, if your over 6" you need to look else where. Realistically they are looking for 5"9-5"11. As thats a suitable vary in a cockpit.

I lead this up to a recent story in the newspaper, a young lad wished to become a pilot. Grade A student, fit as a horse, but 1 defining factor abstructed his progression was simply that he was too tall.

:lol: Lifes hard...
Survival Equipment Fitter
Aptitude Test - PASSED!
Selection Interview - PASSED!
Medical - PASSED!
Pre Fitness Test - PASSED!
Final Interview - January 2nd!
Halton - January 23rd!
Cosford - Febuary!
Fwd 5

Post by Fwd 5 »

Absolute rubbish, at least half the pilots on my squadron are over six feet tall. (I assume that's what you meant killingo, as I can assure you that 100% of them are more than 6" tall)
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Fwd 5 wrote:Absolute rubbish, at least half the pilots on my squadron are over six feet tall. (I assume that's what you meant killingo, as I can assure you that 100% of them are more than 6" tall)
they measure the length of your legs from the hip downwards, some people can be 6ft+ and have smaller legs then sum people! i no a BAE Pilot (ex -RAF) who is taller then me but i have longer legs!