Share This Page:

NCAITC ?????

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
subzero007

NCAITC ?????

Post by subzero007 »

What happens on this 10 week course?
Artist

Post by Artist »

Do you try to find out what NCAITC actually means?

Is it:

Noughty Cat Attacks Ignorant Tramps Chalfonts.? :o

Or am I just showing you all that deep down inside I love noughty owd cats and detest tramps with bleeding hemorrhoids?

Artist
rawli

Post by rawli »

I think it is the Non-Commissioned Aircrew Initial Training Course. It's undertaken at Cranwell after you have finished your seven weeks at Halton. It's basically leadership training etc, preparing you to become a sergeant. (Which is what you will be when you have finished this course).
Eat pie and fly - That's the multi-engined way
Fwd 5

Post by Fwd 5 »

I didn't post a reply to this initially because it is nearly ten years since I did NCAITC (or AAITC as it then was), and there used to be people on this site who have done it in the last year or so. I know that the course has changed a lot since I did it but as you havent got any useful replies except for Rawli's here is my input.

Basically the course is designed to test your ability to lead under pressure and to work effectively in a team and also to teach you the basics of what you need to know as a SNCO in the RAF. Some of the course is classroom work on leadership theory, defence writing, air power doctrine and general instruction on how the wider RAF fits together. Most of this is simply lifted from the IOT course across the road. There is also a lot of PT with the aim of raising fitness levels prior to the hills weeks.
The testing phase consists of two separate hills weeks where you carry heavy loads across the hills in small groups. You are given a grid for an RV and a time to be there and command appointments are handed out i.e team leader, 2ic etc. When you make the RV you will be given a task to achieve and those in the appointments are assessed on their performance. Then appointments are changed round, a new RV is given and off you go again. People who fail do so either because they just can't do the leadership bit or because they are not fit enough to perform when they reach the RVs. The nature of the hills weeks mean that some people inevitably get injured and are recoursed.
During the classroom weeks there is quite a lot of work in the evenings preparing presentations and briefs that are required by the staff and there is the usual basic training emphasis on kit preparation and drill.
Overall it is fairly hard work but an enjoyable course as long as you turn up fit enough to keep up in the hills.
Once again its a while since I did it, someone has posted on another thread that he is going on a visit to 55 Sqn at Cranwell, get on one of those visits for the up to date information.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Good post there Forward. :wink:
And I`m not just saying that because you corrected my helo post :roll:
Bastard 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Just an update from someone who did it this time last year...
It hasn't changed much, except you live in a nice new block with even more brass to polish, and you get to eat in the same mess as all the officer cadets who look down their noses at you! Obviously you will do your basic at Halton first, where you will learn all your kit prep and drill etc. Cranwell is mostly about proving your SNCO qualities, leadership, integrity etc. And running about with pine poles and hernia boxes...

People get given different jobs, I had to organise a dining in night for in the SNCO's Mess, there's an aircraft visit (usually a Chinook, that way you all get to go flying!), a visit to the RAF Museum at Hendon and St Clement Danes' church, and the each of the 2 week-long exercises that Fwd mentioned. The first one is unassessed (At least, that's what they tell you...) and the second is make or break time. But there is plenty of practice before-hand, running about on the airfield!

Make sure you can run a mile and a half in well under 10 mins 30 secs, and do lots of press ups and sit ups straight after. Be prepared for the Regt guys to find dust in places you never even knew existed. Find somewhere (probably in your car...) to hide crates of beer for the weekend. Get yourself a good fancy-dress outfit.

If you need anything else, PM me, I'll send you my email address.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours