Share This Page:

R.A.F. Chef or Gunner

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
LMW

R.A.F. Chef or Gunner

Post by LMW »

Hey guys, could you please help me with some information. I have got as far as doing my aptitude and for 2 months I have been pondering over Chef of Regiment Gunner.

I see some negatives and positives for both. I want to be a Gunner because I know it will be a very exciting career. But I also know it will be very hard and I will also be left with no safety if I left because Id have no specific trade. Where as with Chef it is pretty obvious what I could be when I left. I want to be a Chef because I have experience. Could you answer me some questions about the Chef trade please:-

First is my friend in the Army is going through his Chef Trade Training and says that he will be promoted to Lance Corporal in 2 months when he gets his NVQ level 2. Do you get promoted so quick in Chef in the RAF or is that just the Army.

Also I liked Gunner because there is a good chance of being posted abroad. What are my chances as a Chef, is it greater or less.

And can you take part in thing such as parachuting if Im a Chef on base, and use shooting ranges etc

Thanks very much. Any advise would be brilliant.
LMW

Post by LMW »

Also, how many points do you need for Chef, I have enough for gunner i know that, is that enough do you think? I would ring up AFCO but not open till Mon.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now a chef will get you a job in civvy street, what use is a gunner when he leaves the forces
goreD.

Post by goreD. »

Tab wrote:Now a chef will get you a job in civvy street, what use is a gunner when he leaves the forces
100K a year in Iraq doing private security work?

Beat that beating eggs.
Mexican bandit, "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges....."
Major Kong, "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in vegas with all that stuff....."
Gore, "The first casualty of war is your underpants....."
Tab

Post by Tab »

Easily me ole mate if you can get the right job. Back in the 1980's my brother in law was one of the top chefs in London. On a private functions he would expect a minum tip of £200.00 on top of his fee, and that was 25 years ago.
goreD.

Post by goreD. »

Luckily I went into neither profession.

I earn nowhere near what either one mentioned one can.

Bugger.
Mexican bandit, "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges....."
Major Kong, "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in vegas with all that stuff....."
Gore, "The first casualty of war is your underpants....."
RAF Reginald

Re: R.A.F. Chef or Gunner

Post by RAF Reginald »

Join as a chef then apply for II Sqn, RAF Regt. That way you get to cook for loads of hungry gunners, who appreciate it a lot more than techys, and you also have to do the pre-para and jumps course. Best of both worlds!
Beret of blue, worn by many, earned by few!
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

Im going to make myself sound really thick, but I hadn't even thought that 2 Sqn would have attached people!!!!!

What a mong!

Which trades do they have attached to them???
RAF Reginald

Post by RAF Reginald »

Chefs, armourers, clerks and MT technicians. I think! But definately chefs.
Beret of blue, worn by many, earned by few!
grim

Post by grim »

All RAF Regt squadrons have a compliment of attached [other] trades... suppliers, clerks, drivers, techies, etc etc... the same goes for flying squadrons, tactical supply wing, etc etc... if you can get onto II Sqn you'll be 'actively' :agrue: encouraged to join in with Regt specific training (i.e. the para course, CFT, and the rest) my mate was the supply Sgt on the sqn a couple of years ago... thay told him the jump course was mandatory for attached personnel.... he said "in that case you feckers are going to Iraq in your pants !"... needless to say the fat twat never did the jump training :D

As for ranges etc... every trade has to complete CCS every year which includes a basic range shoot... but if you're on a Regt Sqn you'll get plenty of time on the ranges / exercise etc, and you'll get the chance of cross training on weapons that the chef trade would never normally touch.

It's really down to your head... do you want to join the RAF doing something you already know and hope you get the chance to experience new stuff... or do you want to experience new stuff with the chance of going back to what you know if it's not for you !!

Second option sounds best to me !! :lol:
Doesn't matter how bad things get... there's no reason to slum it