Share This Page:

Am I on the right track ?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
trueman01

Am I on the right track ?

Post by trueman01 »

Hi I'm new to the forum, I'v got my Pre ADSC course on the 20th this month. I'm hoping to join the para's and realise I need to impress when i get down there. I box 3 times a week and do a run every other day. However iv not long recovered from shin splints due to incorrect footwear had to rest for about 3 weeks. The fitness is still there but the other day was my first run since resting up, wreckon il have enough time to recover my fitness ?

like i said the fitness is still there im not starting from scratch but still need to improve.

any opinions would be much appreciated.
mike.dt

Re: Am I on the right track ?

Post by mike.dt »

I don't think that 3 weeks off would have had that much of an impact on your fitness. I wouldn't worry about it mate. If you're determined enough then you will do it! Get used to running at a pace for a 9 minute mile and a half, then go there and do it. I'm sure you'll be fine bud. Keep us posted on how you get on! :D

Good luck
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)
trueman01

Post by trueman01 »

Cheers yeah i will do :) and i thought as much was just letting a few doubts creep in my mind i spose, I want it bad enough so yeah il just go down there an do the business hopefully. Back running again now havnt really timed myself 1.5 mile yet tbh I just go on a few long runs then do a few 2 milers at a quick pace.

should i find wheres 1.5 mile an get it timed, or think il be ok doing wa im doing ?
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

If you have a smartphone then you should try out an app called Runkeeper. It's great for recording data and it tracks your run using GPS so that you can see how you got on when you're finished and compare your performances.

I would time yourself over the 1.5 miles once every week, every Friday for example. Then you can see your improvement over time and have the freedom to train the areas you feel you need to improve on the other days during the week. It's definitely important to get used to the 1.5 miles and the pace you need to be running it at.

If you don't have a smart phone then you can use a map of your area, a ruler and piece of string to work out 1.5 miles locally. Use the scale at the bottom of the map to find 1.5 miles and translate it onto your ruler, and then cut a piece of string to that length and lay it on the map so that you can use it to work out a route around some local roads. :)
Warfare Not Welfare
trueman01

Post by trueman01 »

App downloaded and il get at least one of those done a week, nice one for all your help mike an il let you know how i get on, cheers again mate :)
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

No problem! Best of luck :D
Warfare Not Welfare