Share This Page:

Am I Making The Right Choices?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
JonnyBGoode

Am I Making The Right Choices?

Post by JonnyBGoode »

First of all, I'd just like to say Hi, I'm new to these forums and decided to register to attain advice on my possible military career. :)

I am 16 years old and I am undertaking an AFF course at the D-Z I work at. Ever since I was little, I have had a love for the Armed Forces and have always had a military career in mind. The D-Z I work at is a father-son run business and both of whom have had a military career, I am not too sure about their pasts but I know that both of them at one point were jump instructors - or something along the lines of that. They both have in excess of 4000-5000 jumps.
I plan to take a two-year gap year after college, travelling, jumping and paying for it with an excessive amount of pack jobs (and some savings) ;). I also hope to get onto camera work after 200 jumps, and then maybe go on to do my tandem rating after 800 as a way to do what I love and get paid at the same time. I know this will be unlikely to happen in two years, so I am currently considering joining the Paras for a few years, to give myself not only foundations for my adult life, but also a few extra jumps and experience.
I have always loved the idea of having a military background - setting me up to one day maybe run my own D-Z, or perhaps become a P-company instructor.
I'm posed with a few questions, do I go to Uni and undertake a 3/4 year degree to become an officer or just join up as a regular soldier? I would also just like to hear any suggestions, advice and experience you people may have to help me on my way!

Cheers and many thanks - Jon
Norseman

Re: Am I Making The Right Choices?

Post by Norseman »

Having a military background is a good thing. It is character-forming.
However, a good education is, in my opinion, the best choice - always.
I would choose Uni, then become an Officer.
Then you´ll have a good foundation for your future life.
It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!
Tab

Re: Am I Making The Right Choices?

Post by Tab »

The Para's are more like a way of life rather than some thing you will do on the side for a few years. If you want to give it a try and remain in the family business why not join the 4th Battalion which is the TA and see where you want to go with it this way you can have the best of both worlds.