Share This Page:

ADVICE ON JOINING.

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
BedfordsPara

ADVICE ON JOINING.

Post by BedfordsPara »

Im 18 years old 19 on xmas eve, my first worry is am I too young to join/pass the para's test. I am very content on joining the para's, I have my first intial interview on wednesday 28th November. However I am worried about the training and have heard so many different stories of what level of fitness you should be at entering the training. I have an older brother who is training for the Royal Marines and has passed his PRMC, I have been training with him for the build up to this and we are both at the same level of fitness(I probably have more upper body strength than him). I would appreciate any tips or knowledge about the training to become a Paratrooper.
Many thanks,
Tab

Re: ADVICE ON JOINING.

Post by Tab »

At 18 I was called up and then joined the Para's at 18 along with hundreds of other lads
Hielan' Laddie

Post by Hielan' Laddie »

Just go for it mate. I'd say you sound pretty physically ready to go.
Tab wrote:At 18 I was called up and then joined the Para's at 18 along with hundreds of other lads
You are Bernard Cribbins and I claim my £5 :D
BedfordsPara

Post by BedfordsPara »

ah okay thanks.
They don't look for a certain height either do they? I am quite short (5ft6) Probably a dis advantage but hey ho!
Hielan' Laddie

Post by Hielan' Laddie »

BedfordsPara wrote:ah okay thanks.
They don't look for a certain height either do they? I am quite short (5ft6) Probably a dis advantage but hey ho!
There is a minimum height, but it is something like 5ft - maybe even less. Personally I am bang on 5ft7 so not much taller than you and it hasn't really caused much of an issue. My best mate in the army is 6ft5. When we march around the camp together we look like we are from different dimensions!

Just remember, as a "vertically challanged' bloke, you are a smaller target and you have a shorter distance to go if you need to dive for cover. Happy days!