Share This Page:

I need some advice on how to get fit enough to join.

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
ParasAreWinning

I need some advice on how to get fit enough to join.

Post by ParasAreWinning »

Even though i'm only 14 I want to be fit and ready to join up, I know i'm quite young but if I could start now I think it might help in the future.
So if there's anybody out there who has experience in the paras and/or the selection process could you please post some advise about what type of fitness I need, and the things I need to focus on specificly.

Thanks
Winning

P.S: After beinng the Paras for i think the minimum is 4 years i was thinking for applying for SAS or SBS Selection Info on that would help aswell.
Tab

Re: I need some advice on how to get fit enough to join.

Post by Tab »

Why join the SAS just join 1 Para who are Special Forces. Best thing you can do is just keep very active with sports till you get near joining then up your game then. By playing sports and swimming and keep active then you are half way there
Mr Maroon

Post by Mr Maroon »

Eat, Sleep, train, Become Completely Fearless

1. Eat
Fish, Pasta, Meat, Eggs they are all good sources of protein and nutrition.

2. Sleep
Try and get 10 hours of sleep every night.

3. Train
Swimming is great cardio and upper body work. When I was a kid I had asthma, I would frequently go to hospital with coughing fits or hyperventilation. Swimming saved me from that. Running is excellent cardio and endurance. Cardio is key because the reason why so many people drop out of P company is because they don't have good cardio and endurance.

4. Become completely fearless
Becoming Fearless is essential because if your fearless then you are mentally strong and then you are invincible.

SAS or SBS
Personally I would just stick to SFSG or do Pathfinder which is what I'm going to try out for after my next tour. Good luck Soon to be Craphat
daz89

Post by daz89 »

14 years old.. I would enjoy you're childhood just now! As tab said keep yourself active, maybe try and get into a sports team. When you're older and maturer then you can think about getting yourself fit enough to pass the tests.
axman4

Post by axman4 »

Not worth worrying about at 14, to pass my selection i played for a football team,tennis,hockey ect all keep you ticking over but none push you, at 15 i joined a gym had weight progammes circuits ect for strength,

if you are a generally fit person at this age cardio is easy to improve i passed my prmc 2 years ago with 2 weeks of cardio by doing long runs and sprints every other day it can be done

long story short wait till your older
Nero

Post by Nero »

Mr Maroon wrote:Eat, Sleep, train, Become Completely Fearless

1. Eat
Fish, Pasta, Meat, Eggs they are all good sources of protein and nutrition.

2. Sleep
Try and get 10 hours of sleep every night.

3. Train
Swimming is great cardio and upper body work. When I was a kid I had asthma, I would frequently go to hospital with coughing fits or hyperventilation. Swimming saved me from that. Running is excellent cardio and endurance. Cardio is key because the reason why so many people drop out of P company is because they don't have good cardio and endurance.

4. Become completely fearless
Becoming Fearless is essential because if your fearless then you are mentally strong and then you are invincible.

SAS or SBS
Personally I would just stick to SFSG or do Pathfinder which is what I'm going to try out for after my next tour. Good luck Soon to be Craphat
soon to be craphat? he wants to be a para?
Mr Maroon

Post by Mr Maroon »

Craphat is the shitty cap they give you when your doing training
Nero

Post by Nero »

Mr Maroon wrote:Craphat is the shitty cap they give you when your doing training
Haha ah I see now, thought you were implying he wasn't going to be a para but a crap hat instead! At least he's not bloody cabbage! :wink: