Share This Page:

Can somebody look at my programme please?! ;D

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
DanPalmer1992

Can somebody look at my programme please?! ;D

Post by DanPalmer1992 »

i have just completed a programme i have put together myself, i saw results which enabled me to score a run time of 8:50seconds on my preselection prior to my interviews and adsc, i have put this new programme together to ensure i will fly through adsc and also to be able to start looking at PRAC providing im successful, i obviously want to ensure im not over doing myself and i wont get injured so if anyone who has been through the process im going through offer me any advice and tips i would be very greatfull :)

The actual programme is 4 weeks long, it is the same but just gets more intense every week! :D
1st Choice: Parachute Regiment BARB: Passed 58 Medical Clearence: Passed 1 Day Pre Selection Tests: Passed (1.5Mile - 8mins 50 seconds) 1st Interview: Passed 2nd Interview: Passed ADSC: Passed PRAC: Passed ITC Catterick PARA Depot: November 18th 2012!!
    MustGetFit

Re: Can somebody look at my programme please?! ;D

Post by MustGetFit »

Although I have not been through the selection I would just like to bring up a point. I would suggest that instead of using a distance for the power walks (2 miles in your case) I think using a time would be more beneficial e.g. 2 hours of walking, and then slowly increase the time as you feel necessary. Be sure to keep a goal distance in mind so that you can push yourself when you need to. You should build up to a point where you feel that your body has adapted to the constant walking. Doing 2 miles all the time will just cause you to 'plateau' and you wont get any better. Remember that you will be on your feet a lot of the time and getting your body used to it can prevent injury. Soon you will be doing it with weight and then it will be a shock to your system if you aren't prepared. Training programs that I have been on for various expeditions have built me up to 16hrs of walking in training which we did constantly on the actual trip. I can positively say that I would not have completed the final 42hr hike without this training - many people on the expeditions actually collapsed and had to pull out because they simply weren't used to it. Rather prepare for the worst than be caught off guard. :wink:

The rest of the program I had my elder brother take a look at (SS (P) Sport / Exercise Science postgraduate) and his comments were "On Saturday before your 3mile run, make sure that your legs aren't too sore to run properly. Performing large amount of body weight exercises or low weight exercises can leave you stiff which could then cause the muscles to relax when they are supposed to be working- resulting in injury to tendons and bone structures. Try and add in one more rest day because just like the rest of the muscles, your heart muscle needs to have a break from exercise."

Enjoy training.
    It is not my war. I do not agree with it but it is my duty to protect and serve the man next to me whose war it is and who does agree with it. I will die for this man. And one day, when it is my war that needs to be fought and when only I agree with it, he will be there for me, ready to die by my side.
    DanPalmer1992

Post by DanPalmer1992 »

Thankyou very much for your input and taking the time to get your elder brother to do a once over, the 2mile power walks are from my house to the gym I use so I should just time myself and nock like 20 seconds off everytime I do so for example? I do my 1.5miles straight to the gym with a 0.5mile warm up which is the same route everytime, it has different inclines and declines so should I stick to doing that route do you believe? With regards to the leg exercises may change them to saturday following the run and have a gentle swim on sunday to bathe my muscles? Let me know what you think mate, once again thanks! :)
    1st Choice: Parachute Regiment BARB: Passed 58 Medical Clearence: Passed 1 Day Pre Selection Tests: Passed (1.5Mile - 8mins 50 seconds) 1st Interview: Passed 2nd Interview: Passed ADSC: Passed PRAC: Passed ITC Catterick PARA Depot: November 18th 2012!!
      MustGetFit

Post by MustGetFit »

If that is the case then I defenately suggest cutting off time every time you do it, it will just let your body know that it is there to be pushed. At least once a week you must try and add in a long walk or run so that you can improve on it (by long i don't mean excessive so about 8miles). On a few occasions try and walk to gym and then do the 1.5 mile best effort back, this will change the route a bit and it will also test you while you are fatigued from your gym session. Remember that you want to add variation to your training so find a good cross country route and test yourself there to keep your body alert.

"With regards to the leg exercises may change them to saturday following the run and have a gentle swim on sunday to bathe my muscles?" <--- That is a great idea. There is no impact on your joints so even if your muscles are tired they will not allow your body to damage itself and swimming is a great way to get rid of acids that cause aches and pains. Try and remove the word gentle from the equation though - remember, you are training to be in the Parachute Regiment so push yourself. If you decide to rest for a day I would suggest missing the Friday bodypump class and walk. It will just give your body a break for the day which will allow you to push yourself harder over the weekend. Your 1.5 mile time is good, keep it up!
      It is not my war. I do not agree with it but it is my duty to protect and serve the man next to me whose war it is and who does agree with it. I will die for this man. And one day, when it is my war that needs to be fought and when only I agree with it, he will be there for me, ready to die by my side.
      Tab

Post by Tab »

Its all double Dutch to me, some years ago you just turned up and did it, and you either passed or failed, training programmes had not yet been invented.
      MustGetFit

Post by MustGetFit »

Its all double Dutch to me, some years ago you just turned up and did it, and you either passed or failed, training programmes had not yet been invented.
      These programs do seem to defeat a purpose, it should probably be the same as when you went through selection how you turned up and did it. We should go to selection and be trained exactly how the Regiment (whichever it is) wants us to be trained and they can check if we are mentally and physically strong enough. I think the main purpose behind exercise programs is to avoid injury and to give those who are training a better chance. You are probably thinking "Rest day? What the hell is that? I never had one of those!" ... I think that people have become soft over the years - the stronger ones try and join the military.
      Tab

Post by Tab »

When I did the P Course you had to be a trained soldier before you could apply, the course lasted two weeks and you had every weekend off on those two weeks. You had no idea what awaited you at AFD when you turned up. When I arrived mid morning i was told to dump my kit on the bed and get into shorts and singlet and report for a 10 mile run. By that time we had about a foot of snow on the ground. When you got back you ate lunch then into the gym for a good work out then off the assault course and you knocked off about 6 pm. You then had to clean that kit in cold water as there was never any hot and then queue to iron it dry as that was the only heat in the barracks. There were no power points in the barracks and you tapped into the electric lights to run your iron, how we never burnt the place down is beyond me. There was never any warm up time and every one just go out there and did it. Now there were broken bones from the different Assault courses, but I don't recall any pulled muscles or ham strings or any of the other worries that they have these days.
      On each course there was around 150 men and they chose enough people for a stick on a Hasting aircraft which you did your jumps from and that was around 30 men. My number on the course I was on was 113 and if you failed on any part of the course it was an instant RTU [Return To Unit]
      MustGetFit

Post by MustGetFit »

When I did the P Course you had to be a trained soldier before you could apply
      I think this is the key factor. Those who were injury prone, who were hiding injuries or those who weren't physically or mentally strong enough wouldn't have been trained soldiers because during basic training their weaknesses would have been exposed. Those who passed basic training would have been conditioned for military life and would be accustomed to military style training so their bodies were more used to the constant bombardment. Maybe that is why you didn't see the muscle or joint injuries as often. You cannot train bones to become unbreakable so that is just one of those things that would have to be avoided.

Kudos to you on being one of those 30 men. That training sounds brutal to say the very least. I think that if selection was the same now as it was back then someone would claim that it is 'abuse' or that they are being bullied.
      Tab

Post by Tab »

Training was hard and they were looking for those men he did not know how to give up and would go through hell to achieve their aims, that is what makes a Paratrooper. Bullying NO if you did not like it you could pack it in at any time and go back to your unit, Training a Regular soldier in those days took just ten weeks now it takes 25. In those days the youth was a lot fitter there was no TV, No computer games and hardly any one had a car. If wanted to get any where you walked and for entertainment you played games like football and cricket and played hare and hounds, you never heard of pulled muscles or ham string come tendons as you were so dam fit before you went in the army. Now most of the youth is so used to sitting around that when he comes to run any distance the body can't take it before it some goes.
      Fringlish

Post by Fringlish »

You should probably experiment with walking long distances with a bag on your back. I can walk for as long as i want without any weight on my back but when i throw a 50lb ruck on there (Those 50lbs come from my brother that i carry around in my rucksack on training days) it makes it a lot harder as it tends to compress your lungs and makes it harder to breathe. Just some food for thought, it'd suck to get to basic and realize that you can't carry the weights they're asking you too.