Share This Page:

Joining from south africa

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Tab

Re: Joining from south africa

Post by Tab »

I have met a number of lads in the Para's from South Africa so it goes to show that some make it.
MustGetFit

Post by MustGetFit »

Hey Awsum4sum,

Also from South Africa here. If you have a British Passport you can join, I went to a recruiting office last year while I was on holiday and that is what I was told. I wouldn't suggest joining as soon as you arrive in the UK, try training in their climate and altitude for about 6 months just so that your body can fully adjust to the temperature, it is a very tough transition for the body to go through (>30 degrees to <15). Run on the days when it is snowing, raining, hailing, sunny etc. because this is what you will be doing once you are in training. Start off by running in running tights for the warmth and eventually work your way down to a pair of shorts and a vest (without risking hypothermia and sickness of course). I recommend going to a Recruiting Office as soon as you arrive so they can tell you about the process of joining and how long it will take. You may have to wait a few months before they can accommodate you at Basic Training so it all depends on when you sign up.

A few friends of mine from RSA have completed Para training first time around. Two of them eventually moved to SF and they said that many of the blokes there have mentioned that South Africans are the toughest soldiers in the British Army along with the Gurkha. :lol:

Good Luck.
It is not my war. I do not agree with it but it is my duty to protect and serve the man next to me whose war it is and who does agree with it. I will die for this man. And one day, when it is my war that needs to be fought and when only I agree with it, he will be there for me, ready to die by my side.
Awsum4sum

Post by Awsum4sum »

Hey MustGetFit

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do that. I'm also gonna try go at the beggining of summer so the temp gap is a bit less.

thanks for the advice man.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I hope you don't expect a travel warrant home every few months