Share This Page:

how to become a brittish para

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
barneyg

how to become a brittish para

Post by barneyg »

hi i wanted to join the paras (uk) for a while now and am completeley motivated, im 15 and know ive got ages to train for it but i'd like to start biulding up my fitness for the paras, there are a few things id like to know.

1.what are the steps going from a civvi to a para?

2. what are the physical requirements (eg how many pressups, situps, pull ups, run times etc) and what do they class as a proper press-up

3 once i've served for a couple of years i'd like to become a sniper, do you have to be selected or can you volenteer for selection.

thanks

p.s any training tips will be great
ofens

Re: how to become a brittish para

Post by ofens »

Hello mate, the answers to your questions are all on the British Army website, and also if you use the search button they'll be on here too already. :wink:
Have a look.

Broadly speaking running is your A1 activity and the 1.5 mile test is where the rubber meets the road.
You'll be aiming for 9 minutes and under ideally.

As you've said you have loads of time so train but don't over do it and injure yourself! :x
Perhaps discuss it with PE teachers at your school? That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes right now.

Best of luck buddy.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Dalishus

Post by Dalishus »

Your first step would be to enter an Army Careers Office (AFCO) and fill out an application.
From their, you will send off some medical forms to be compelted by your doctor and optician, which will need to be cleared by the med branch in Scotland. Then;

1st Interview
PSAC (Pre-Selection Aptitude Course - a 1 day course to see if your worth their time and money basically, held at a local barracks)
2nd Interview with the senior officer in your AFCO
ADSC (Army Development Selection Center - a 2 day course consisting of Team Building Tasks, Ice-Breaker, 1.5 mile run, best effort Heaves and some other strength tests, a Technical Test (TST) for if any of your initial 3 choices are Trades and then a Final Interview)

Providing you meet the requirements for Paras at ADSC (1.5mile run under 9min 18secs, 6/8+ heaves, good confidence in ice breaker and decent input in team building tasks), you will then be sent to PRAC (Parachute Regiment Aptitude Course).

I've been on this and failed and lemme tell ya, it's no cake-walk. You can google the Activites you do there but THE most difficult thing you will do is the Steeplechase, a measure of your combat fitness. This is a gruelling 1.8mile cross-country run over fences and hurdles, through streams and rivers, up hills and over pretty uncomfortable terrain in boots and helmet. You will get soaked and your boots full of water which makes it that much harder.

What they do at PRAC before you do any event, is take you round once as a squad and completely knacker you out. So it's important when your training to warm up hard for maybe 2/3 miles, and then perform best effort. If you can nail a 1.5 mile run under 9mins doing an 8/min mile warmer for 2/3 miles, your sorted. Get used to pushing yourself beyond your limits, decide in your head you will not stop and do not stop or slow.

All of what I have just said contribute towards a final grade (A, B, C...so on). This is measured from your 1st interview right upto PRAC. The higher you perform, the higher grade you get, and once you pass everything the higher grade you get means the sooner you'll get a start date - this could be anything upto and beyond 6 months after Final Selection.

Focus on; Press Ups, Sit Ups, Heaves, Dips to the Bar, General Upper Body Strength, Cardio-Vascular fitness, Running hills, Running 7 to 9 minute miles for 6+ miles (obviously build up to this), and importantly Cross-Country Running.

You'll be expected to do somewhere between the region of 50 to 70+ Pressups / Situps, and no more than 9 mins for your 1.5 mile run.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
barneyg

Post by barneyg »

cheers guys thats a really helpful
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

good trick for steeplechase is cut the wrist part off some rubber gloves and put them over the top of your boots onto the skin of your leg this helps alot with not letting the water in worked a treat for me on dnd's wish id known about it in depot but just dont get caught with them on
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
barneyg

Post by barneyg »

thanks. what would happen if you got caught??