Share This Page:

Probably stupid questions but answers appreciated.

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
confused_bolton_boy

Probably stupid questions but answers appreciated.

Post by confused_bolton_boy »

Just turned 19 and need to sort my life out. Tried to do something with my life quite a few times and people have tried to help but unsuccessfully. I'm probably too stubborn and there hasn't been anything challenging enough. So I thought of the army!

Anyway, I think there might be a few things that might stop me from joining.

First of all, I've got slightly blurred vision in my right eye and havn't got glasses or contact lenses. When/if I go for the medical will I have to get some glasses before I go so they don't fail me? Or will the Doc just pass me and tell me to get a prescription?

Also, I had a skin condition years ago (cant remember what it was called. Not psyriasis) and still have it a little bit on my legs. It isn't contagious, I don't recieve any treatment (no cure except for sunlight), and it doesn't physically effect me whatsoever (no pain/itching etc.) Will I get knocked back?

I have no other medical conditions at all.

Finally, I'm not a strong swimmer. I can swim, just not well. And my stammina isn't brilliant. No qualifications either. I've got good strenght, particularly upper body. Don't smoke, don't do drugs, drink rarely, excersize daily and have a good diet. I'm 5' 11" and 12 stone (too fat? for BMI or whatever?). I'm determined and very, very tenacious. Had some experience with firearms and explosives and I've got an alright aim.

So what d'ya reckon? Will they tell me to f**k off or what? Sorry about the essay of a message by the way lol but replies much appreciated.

Thanks.
gooner_27

Post by gooner_27 »

All you can do is try mate your not going to get in this side of xmas but give it ago.
BARB TEST 60
WRITTEN MED PASSED
FORMAL INTERVIEW PASSED
ADSC PASSED
INTAKE 30TH NOVEMBER 2009 ATR PIRBRIGHT
ROYAL LOGISTIC CORPS
Tab

Post by Tab »

Can you give me one good reason why the Army should take you on. Skin problems in desert conditions are a great problem, and how the flies and insects would love it blurred vision well if you can see them how are you going to shot the blighter's.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

As I have been saying, In this climate we can pick and choose our applicants with an eye for only getting the cream.

You appear on paper (screen) to have just a few too many problems for my liking.

Ask your Recruiter he might have a different view but if you were my applicant I wouldnt be breaking my back to speed you along the process

Tough statement but it is the Truth sorry
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

id f@#k the swimming off dont think its a major dramas as long as you can pass the swim test when you get to depot if you get that far .i think youre main problem is the eyesight in youre right eye as funny enough they dont make left handed rifles :o .the shite on youre legs will like tab said cause you dramas in afghan as the flies go for f@#k anything oozing, smelling , itching, bleeding and to be honest normal skin aswell but i think the risk of infection on something like that would be to great to risk sending you out on say a month long op where you aint going to be really washing. try clerks or something like that where most of them are falling to peices anyhoo. :lol:
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
Tab

Post by Tab »

Why does every one with a medical problem want to join the Army, why can' they chose some thing easy like RAF or Navy
confused_bolton_boy

Thanks for the replys, and for being honest.

Is it more of a problem that my right eye is slightly lazy rather than my left one? Isn't there any left handed soldiers? And cant they wear glasses or contact lenses?

As for the very slight skin condition on my legs which is practically gone. It doesn't ooze/bleed, isn't cut/grazed or anything. I dont require any treatment at all. And the longer I spend in the sun the better it gets (UV rays cure it). But I do understand what you're saying.

I chose the army because I don't fancy spending months on a ship or sitting in a plane. I'm the type of person thats always been out n about using my hands and trying to push myself because I like the challenge. I chose the army for lots of reasons really. And I also think I'd make a good soldier for many reasons, despite everything else. But you're probably right. I'll look into something else.
Last edited by confused_bolton_boy on Thu 27 Aug, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tab

Post by Tab »

It is not till you get into a desert area do find out just how bad it can be with all those dam flies. They crawl all over you looking for any moisture.
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

lol its not cos there isnt ant left handed soldiers ita the way the rifles made u try puttin youre left cheek on the right side of it and firing a few mags off youd have no bloody face left ha
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
trigger88

medical problems

Post by trigger88 »

bolton boy, the eye problem might not be that bad, you may need glasses, best see a doctor or optician. The leg skin problem thing, I had skin problem on my hand and its a bastard, not having the skin problem, getting the clear from the army, as long as your doctor gives you the all clear, its not enough. You have to be symptom free for at least 3 years. thats how long I had to wait. I had a rash on my hand, my doctor had it down as eczema (curse the day he did), at the time the deferal period was 6 months, fine, I reaplied 6 months later, then got told it was a year, reaplied 6 months more, then it was 3 years, had two years to go to college (why?, I wanted to join the army) I am finally at a good stage, went to adsc in scotland, then their doctor found an infection in one of my ears, they passed me but medically deffered me, I am now at the stage where I need to get that all clear from my doctor, if he does, I can hopefully go on prac, hopfully pass that then start my Para reg. training. It's a struggle, but if you want this career it's worth fighting for, if you don't mind the pun.
confused_bolton_boy

Yeah, my slightly lazy right eye isn't that bad. You can't even notice it. And I was prescribed glasses for it when I was about 7 but refused to wear them, which I'm starting to regret lol. The small skin problem I've got on my legs is practically non existant as I've had it for about 13 years now and the only symptom is visual (meaning it doesn't actually do anything, it's just there under the skin... kina like a birthmark or something). It's called Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica... had to look up the name because I forgot what it was called, that's how insignificant it is. Never had any problems with it other than embarrassement. Not letting me in the army on account of it would be like not letting someone in because he's black. Anyway, gotta get on the sunbeds lol cause' that's the only thing that'll completely get rid of it... gonna look like Peter Andre :o . Thanks for the words of encouragement and it's good to know I'm not the only one having an awkward time with a stupid rash! Good luck to you my fellow Boltonion!
_Mark_

Re: Probably stupid questions but answers appreciated.

Post by _Mark_ »

confused_bolton_boy wrote:Had some experience with firearms and explosives
Is that how you got blurred vision :onfire:
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

i got blurred vision due to reading too many daily sports...
'Every man an Emperor'
alias

Post by alias »

bro just go for it you can only try , worrying about it is not going to do you any good