Share This Page:

The right sort of person to join?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
tommy494

The right sort of person to join?

Post by tommy494 »

Hi all

Currently got my app going through and due to do ADSC in a few weeks. My chosen regiment is the Paras but ive gota question about the sort people paras are.

Myself ive got the required fitness to join and i think ive also got the sheer grit and determination to pass training but i really wouldnt call myself some sort of proper hard man. i can fight when i need to and can also take a hit or two but im really not like sum1 who is hard as a coffin nail, When people think of paras they are seen as double hard basterds to do anything an everything. Is it a case that all paras are just a different breed of person before they join up or is it a case that if youve got the right attitude, the fitness and the guts will they completely mould you into what they want you be and make you become part of this different breed?

all answers would be great

cheers all
gpw2009

Re: The right sort of person to join?

Post by gpw2009 »

This a genuine question? Hope so....
tommy494 wrote:Is it a case that all paras are just a different breed of person before they join up or is it a case that if youve got the right attitude, the fitness and the guts will they completely mould you into what they want you be and make you become part of this different breed?
If so you have just answered your own question really mate. Can't tell you what it's like in a battalion, but thats pretty much depot for you!
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
Artist

Post by Artist »

Most Paras and indeed most servicemen are people who you would not look twice at in the Street (I was a Royal Marines Commando). They don't walk down the road proclaiming that they are hard men or indeed woman, they just walk down the street to buy a newspaper of summut.

In this day and age best of luck to you sunshine. I thought it was hard enough when I was serving in NI and elsewhere. These days the serving Soldier/Marine has one promise, A tour of Afganistan.

Mate of mine who joined in 1975 told me that after his tours in NI, Down South (Falklands), two tours in Iraq and 3 tours in Afganistan the worst by far was the latter. He hates the place in no uncertain terms. I for myself am glad to be a civvy.

Artist
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

If you show the basic qualities its easier for the instructors to sculpt you into the finished product. Take note, a lot of the - what you call 'proper hard men' normally turn out just to be gobby teenagers, who may be the big thing down their own back yard amongst 'the co-op massive' but sooner enough the wheat gets sorted from the chaff - the gobshites with attitude are out before you can even notice.
once in battalion, depending on your character, you will prob have the swagger etc (especially on the p*ss) but that soon comes out of you when you see how the older blokes go about things - you kind of follow their example.
'Every man an Emperor'
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

Artist wrote:(I was a Royal Marines Commando). They don't walk down the road proclaiming that they are hard men or indeed woman
Really? I thought you guy's liked a bit of drag on a friday night!
:D
tommy494 wrote:ive got the required fitness to join and i think ive also got the sheer grit and determination
Thats all you need in my opinion, like someone just mentioned, most the lads who go in thinking they are the dogs bollócks soon realise that their not and either calm down or do one.

Saying that i think the 'do anything an everything' isnt too far off the mark for some.
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Tommy,
I expect there have been many studies conducted to categorise 'the right sort of person' for HM Armed Forces. I don't what the criteria is. The people in the Amed Forces are as varied as you would find in any other cross section of the general public.

The commonality between HM Armed Fiorces is just that. We all joined up. Paras are no different. I have worked (and still do) with Paras and there is no stereotypical character.

As the old recruiting advert used to say "If you've got it in you, we'll bring it out".

As has been previouly mentioned, you've answered your own question with your comments.