Share This Page:

Strength

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Rob1

Strength

Post by Rob1 »

Ok, looking to start with the paras next summer (immediately after finishing my last year of uni). This gives me plenty of time, so I've started training 4 times a week and I've been consistent so far.

Last September I finished a 9 month stint on a strength training programme called 'Starting Strength', which involved doing 3X5 sets of compound lifts, three days a week. It went well, and I really enjoyed it. But since then, I've only been doing cardio (mainly running and fencing) until last month - nearly a year off strength training.

Now, 2 weeks back into training, I'm running 1.5 miles in 7:58 and managing 63 situps in 2 mins... but I can only do 33 pressups in 2 mins. I managed 8 pullups in one go on the last attempt. So upper body strength is definitely the main concern.

I read that people who concentrate on high intensity strength training often have trouble tackling big sets of bodyweight exercises (i.e. pressups, pullups etc). So I bought 'The Official British Army Fitness Guide' off Amazon and jumped through to where it gets challenging for me. It has a pretty broad range of bodyweight exercises alongside loads of runs (only worried that it doesn't seem to work the traps). Training for me at the minute is basically a matter of doing what the book says.

Main questions:
For strength, would doing only bodyweight exercises leave me underprepared for selection?
How many pressups/situps should potential recruits actually be aiming for?
(Obviously the answer is way above 44/50 and the sky's the limit, but how many are you guys aiming for?)
Tab

Post by Tab »

All need is to be fit enough to pass the entrance examination, and after that they will build you up. They are not looking for supermen, and you don't want to damage anything before you get in, so just keep fit and work out regularly with out over doing it.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Thats a good time. With that in mind cardio wont be a problem, Ill assume your endurance training is ticking over nicely too. However, if you havnt got the upper body strength you will struggle on tabs - having a glass back is the last thing you want when you and your kit need to start from A and 10mile later need to get to B, fast! You sure it aint a flexibility issue when it comes to the pressups? You mention compound only - thats delving into strongman/powerlifting type of training. I know a bigger bloke is less likely to do as many pullups as the lat straight from school, could this be same as for press ups?
When I was a recruit my run time was 8.20 for mile and half and I mentally always said id do sets of 50 when doing press ups, sit ups or whatever. Id storm the tabs. A good all round fitness is more likely to get you through recruit phase (in my opinion) not going down the gym to build big arms! So with that in mind Id say running with body weight exercises chucked in would be the correct way to train.
'Every man an Emperor'
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

If you want to really increase your strength just using bodyweight exercises get one of these:

They're about £120 so quite expensive but certainly cheaper than a gym membership. It was invented by an ex-Navy SEAL IIRC. I saw one of the trainers at my gym demonstrating one and it really did look like a great piece of kit.

Here's their website: http://www.trxfitness.co.uk/

Have a look on youtube under TRX as there's loads of vids of people doing all kinds of stuff with it.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

bored_stupid wrote:If you want to really increase your strength just using bodyweight exercises get one of these:

They're about £120 so quite expensive but certainly cheaper than a gym membership. It was invented by an ex-Navy SEAL IIRC. I saw one of the trainers at my gym demonstrating one and it really did look like a great piece of kit.

Here's their website: http://www.trxfitness.co.uk/

Have a look on youtube under TRX as there's loads of vids of people doing all kinds of stuff with it.

I'm sure you could rig you’re own version of these (look to be gymnastic rings) for much, much cheaper.

In fact I think I’ve read instructions on how to do so somewhere in one of Ross's books (www.rosstraining.com) a while back using children’s play ground rings and some other cheep easy to come by materials.

Not done this my self so I can’t comment on quality etc but I should imagine they’d do the trick just fine

Stokey
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

trust the yanks.... :wink:
the bar that the 'fancy dan' bit of kit is attached to is probably gonna do more good!
'Every man an Emperor'
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

It's actually a good bit of kit, I had a go of one when one of the trainers at my gym had his there.

If you're out an about and don't have access to a gym they'd be fantastic. They're a lot more versatile that just a bar, you can do all kinds of different exercises on them and they build a real functional strength too.

I think they'd be great for lads out on Tour who obviously wont have access to a gym............... or the Para Pltn's Staff for when Joe comes halt, check, one, twoing up to the office door!! :lol:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

gunner75 wrote:trust the yanks.... :wink:
As you were Guns 8)
Not all Americans are"Yanks"Some of us are Southern boys. :D
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Almost very much like Manchester United fans - all Southerners....boom boom tish!! :wink: ..... I'll get my coat.
'Every man an Emperor'