Share This Page:

Smoking in the Para's?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Soldier Robb

Smoking in the Para's?

Post by Soldier Robb »

Wondered if you can still apply even if you smoke? Also will there be spots on camp where i can smoke when we get breaks throughout the day?

Oh and please don't say why dont you just quit and its bad for you and such because i get this all the time. You can still be very fit and smoke at the same time as i know i've proven.

Cheers.
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

No. Soldier's don't smoke. Ever. Or drink :wink:

Yes you can apply, don't expect to be able to sneak off for a fag whenever you fancy it though, especially in basics. Yes you can be very fit and smoke at the same time, but if you quit you'll be fitter, not to mention a few quid a day better off, worked for me when i gave up
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
_Mark_

Re: Smoking in the Para's?

Post by _Mark_ »

Soldier Robb wrote:Also will there be spots on camp where i can smoke when we get breaks throughout the day
:lol:
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

what i have heard is that a training is often like a working day, something like 6am-7am everyday, your allowed to smoke in designated areas outside your block in your own time, correct me if im wrong.
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

paraprep1 wrote:what i have heard is that a training is often like a working day, something like 6am-7am everyday, your allowed to smoke in designated areas outside your block in your own time, correct me if im wrong.
Maybe if you're a hat, for the first 6 weeks it's water parade at 5am which means being up a half hour before that to shower, shave and sort your bed space out, after that you have time to get your room and admin sorted before scoff and do a litter pick outside the blocks, when you get back from scoff you have a few mins to finish off the room for inspection.
The rest of the day you will be either doing pt, having lessons/lectures or doing drill. In the evening (if you are not cleaning the rifles after ranges or excercise), you will get some down time, but this is for sorting out your kit for the next day, and writing up everything you have learned in the day, on top of this you are given various things to write up, like the battle honours and learn all the regimental history, the current itcc officers and a load of stuff that gives you no time to think. If you are lucky during this time, (which is around 8-9:30 at night) you will get 5-15mins to use your phone and have a fag, this is the only time for 6 weeks you will get to smoke, after the 6 weeks you can sly out for one in the morning and you have more time free in the evening but as for getting breaks throughout the day, i think someone has been telling you porkies robb...
Tab

Post by Tab »

I can't help but think about the free fags we got along with the rum issue when you were on active service. Fags were a part of your ration packs, if didn't smoke or drink when you joined the para's you soon learnt to do both
gpw2009

Re: Smoking in the Para's?

Post by gpw2009 »

Soldier Robb wrote:Oh and please don't say why dont you just quit and its bad for you and such because i get this all the time. You can still be very fit and smoke at the same time as i know i've proven.
Cheers.
Agree with you there mate, but I wold try and maybe stop, especially as the first 6 weeks are a nightmare like _Mark_ said. You are stressed out and wound up enough, without needing a fag on top of that. And the training staff are nasty f*@kers, they will use it against you too. If there is something the Joe's want, they will take it away i.e fags, phones, mail, sleep, the will to go on etc... :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

I'd personally knock it on the head or cut back as much as you can, you probably will do that anyway when your down there. Also dont get noticed as if your pinged as a smoker and outside the grots or whereever are minging with tab ends, guess who is going around picking them ALL up.....
'Every man an Emperor'