Share This Page:

Joining Para's as an officer?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
shotgunjack

Joining Para's as an officer?

Post by shotgunjack »

Hi,

I hope to join the Para's in the near future however i would also like to tain as an officer.

I understand that the paras are not a bogstandard troop, therefore i was wondering if i would only be allowed to join as a soldier?
Sorry if this has been asked bfore ive been through over half the threads and not seen anything.

thanks, from now for the info
Jack

(edited: to make clearer)
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Without sounding funny... there is no way on this earth you will be gaining a Masters with spelling, grammer andd punctuation as poor as witnessed here. That in mind I'd assume your a young lad just asking the question and obviously aiming high with the chosen career choice.
Officers from all units are that extra special from your average joe. Para reg however HAVE to have that extra shine and something about them to set them above the rest. the average fitness level of a parachute regiment soldier recruit has to be incredible, an officer candidate wishing to get into the parachute regiment has to be beyond that!
'Every man an Emperor'
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

gunner75 wrote:Officers from all units are that extra special from your average joe.
How so? :-? It's just a different role is it not, something to consider if you have the qualifications and fancy a more 'manager' based role? I wasn't aware that having a commision made you a better soldier.
shotgunjack

Post by shotgunjack »

Ok thnx very much. by the way, im actually on my way to Henley business school for my MA.

Ok i figured the standards would be higher. Since i have set myself on gaining entry to the paras, if i were to fail entry as a officer would they allow me to enter as a soldier. Or would they say "no" as they have just spent 11months training me as an officer and therefore dont want to waste their investment?
Tab

Post by Tab »

If the worse happened you could always try out as an officer in another Regiment then apply for the Para's, but you would still have to pass the P Course
shotgunjack

Post by shotgunjack »

Ok thnx tab,

my main concern actually is ill get there all qualified, pass the tests etc, and find that there are no officer spots available. Since there can only be so many officers and 'cos there are only 4 para reg's that means very limited positions.

i dont know whether its a legit concern or not so thats why im asking.

.... also thnx to all those that post the fitness req's in other threads really usefull. its nice to have some goals to hit, though i set mine a little higher. (as others mentioned theres no point going for the minnimum) :D
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

mike90
the ability to lead, motivate and organise not to mention shine when it comes to fitness. maybe not 'special' but certainly a notch or two above the average standards required.
'Every man an Emperor'
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

shotgunjack wrote:and 'cos there are only 4 para reg's
You must have a quad-nationality? Brilliant!!
shotgunjack

Post by shotgunjack »

_Mark_ wrote:
thats great, if i new what you meant.

are they not all for the british army?
J.Fazza

Post by J.Fazza »

shotgunjack wrote:
_Mark_ wrote:
thats great, if i new what you meant.

are they not all for the british army?
The 4th battalion is TA
BARB - 71
Medicals - Passed
Interviews - Passed
ADSC- Passed
Chosen regiment - The Parachute Regiment
Start depot - July 12th
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

Dont worry mate, they are battalions not regiments.
Was just a joke, If you had the option of 4 Parachute regiments you would possibly have 4 nationalities. Never mind :)