Share This Page:

help needed, am i to old?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
chris001

help needed, am i to old?

Post by chris001 »

hi, i am seriously think about joining the parachute reg but am soon to turn 29. I know i can join with the age thing but my question is will my body be up to the training. I am a fit guy and train regulary but is it a young mans game?

does any body know or heard of any one around this age joining and how they got on??

i am currently stuck in a office job and cant see myself doing it forever and hate it! i dont want to regret not doing it when i get older.
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Hello, welcome to the site, dug about some of my ACIO papers and found the Para Job..

You can still join, the MAX age is 33 min of 17, you're minimum service is 4 years, you don't need any QUALs.

Need to know any more?
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
IV Cockney

Re: help needed, am i to old?

Post by IV Cockney »

chris001 wrote:hi, i am seriously think about joining the parachute reg but am soon to turn 29. I know i can join with the age thing but my question is will my body be up to the training. I am a fit guy and train regulary but is it a young mans game?

does any body know or heard of any one around this age joining and how they got on??

i am currently stuck in a office job and cant see myself doing it forever and hate it! i dont want to regret not doing it when i get older.
Why not... I'm 34 and in the process of joining 4 Para. No doubt about it your body will find it harder than someone with, say, 8 years off of you but determination and willpower are equal requirements buddy so get yourself in the right frame of mind first and the fitness will hopefully follow.

The only problem I find is that I take longer to shake injuries off since leaving my 20's....... :roll:
[img]http://www.army.mod.uk/img/template/badge_para4bn.gif[/img] [img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/CockneyPlayboy//totumtotum.JPG[/img]
chris001

Re: help needed, am i to old?

Post by chris001 »

IV Cockney wrote:
chris001 wrote:hi, i am seriously think about joining the parachute reg but am soon to turn 29. I know i can join with the age thing but my question is will my body be up to the training. I am a fit guy and train regulary but is it a young mans game?

Why not... I'm 34 and in the process of joining 4 Para. No doubt about it your body will find it harder than someone with, say, 8 years off of you but determination and willpower are equal requirements buddy so get yourself in the right frame of mind first and the fitness will hopefully follow.

The only problem I find is that I take longer to shake injuries off since leaving my 20's....... :roll:
thanks guys for your response.
i know what you mean about it taking longer to shake off those injurys!

did you ever do any para reg stuff are did you go stright to 4para?
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

29 is considered by scientists as when you will reach your peak physical fitness. Go for it, there was a 33 year old in my troop.
chris001

Post by chris001 »

Illustrious wrote:29 is considered by scientists as when you will reach your peak physical fitness. Go for it, there was a 33 year old in my troop.
thats an intresting fact. best get into some serious fitness then before i get the other side of 29 and start going down hill.

how did the 33 year old get on?
IV Cockney

Post by IV Cockney »

thats an intresting fact. best get into some serious fitness then before i get the other side of 29 and start going down hill.

how did the 33 year old get on?
......he's still running!! :lol:
[img]http://www.army.mod.uk/img/template/badge_para4bn.gif[/img] [img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/CockneyPlayboy//totumtotum.JPG[/img]
ofens

Post by ofens »

I'm 30 and in RM training, and doing OK.
Yes, the injuries take a bit longer to heal, but if you have a bit of life experience you should do well.

EDIT: Just to clarify that, I meant that there are a good and bad of all ages, and I was just trying to say that age and experience does not necessarily make you a decent recruit!
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]