Share This Page:

Hey guys, another new-ish lad.

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
MajorRageUK

Hey guys, another new-ish lad.

Post by MajorRageUK »

Hey everyone, I just want to write a small introduction and such-like, I've been reading these forums for a good couple of months now, have just now began posting.

I'm 18 years old and in the middle of my application process to join the Para's. I have to say, I am so f*cking buzzing with excitement already! 6 months ago, I was a 6ft 2 super skinny lad who was neither fit nor strong. Since then I've trained almost every day and I feel totally different. Deciding to join the Para's has already had such an impact on my life already and I haven't even been to the Insight Course yet!

You all are wicked people, I've enjoyed reading every post, you all have something unique and worthwhile to say, it's awesome!

Anyway, cheers everyone for the help you've given me already!

Just one more thing, how many of you guys actually smoke? I spoke to a friend of my step-dad's who was in the Para's for 7 years and he told me he'd started smoking fro mthe age of 16 and never quit. He told me if I want to smoke, then smoke. ''You can still be fit as f*ck and smoke''. I definately know the plus sides of quitting in the long run but would it make much difference within the next month or two if I were to quit now?
Paratrooper01

Re: Hey guys, another new-ish lad.

Post by Paratrooper01 »

MajorRageUK wrote:Just one more thing, how many of you guys actually smoke? I spoke to a friend of my step-dad's who was in the Para's for 7 years and he told me he'd started smoking fro mthe age of 16 and never quit. He told me if I want to smoke, then smoke. ''You can still be fit as f*ck and smoke''. I definately know the plus sides of quitting in the long run but would it make much difference within the next month or two if I were to quit now?
There are a fair few people who smoke. You just have to think though, if i didnt smoke i would be so much fitter than i already am. Wouldnt it be nice to finish a run and not be coughing up all that phlem and tar from your lungs? I used to smoke and i found that training actually helped me stop. The fresh air in my lungs was as good a hit as smoking itself.

If you feel you can perform to the standard required and still smoke then thats up to you.

You may find that you quit and then get out to a warzone and start again. Alot of guys i work with tend to be wartime smokers and dont smoke in the UK.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Firstly,
Welcome aboard MR.
I've been smoking since thirteen and am now fifty eight(ish)
I can still run the legs off younger police officers(Well I could the last time I re-qualified) :o
There is an awful lot of shit claimed by governments and others about the dangers of smoking,you carry on,you have to die of something :D
Colt

Post by Colt »

Mate don't worry about smoking, as long as you can reach all the requirments and pass all the tests, then there is no problem. I play football with some lads who smoke and they are in no worse condition than me after 90 minutes!

Maybe think about jacking it in while your training for depot and while your at Catterick, i'm sure every little bit of exta energy and breath will come in handy somewhere!
MajorRageUK

Post by MajorRageUK »

Hey guys, thanks so much for replying. I agree with you all, and I'm quite surprised you all had such open-minded answers! I think you all mentioned it'd be a good idea to quit while in depot. To be honest, I think that'd be the best idea. Depending on how many are smoking during training and the nature of what's involved, I think I may realise I just don't have the time to smoke or even think about smoking. Cheers guys.

By the way Paratrooper01, my dad used to tell me a lot about the Pathfinder's when I was a toddler, I'd never ever heard him with such awe in his voice. Much respect to you mate.
Colt

Post by Colt »

I found out loads of stuff about the Para's from reading some good books MajorRageUK . "3 Para" by Patrick Bishop is really good, and about recent activities in Afganistan. Just read "Fighting for Queen and Country" by Nigel 'Spud' Ely, and he was in the Pathfinders before joining the SAS. Also "Operation Certain Death" by Damien Lewis, about Sierra Leone, mega!

Sound like a right sad book worm..... lol :D
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Colt wrote: Sound like a right sad book worm..... lol :D
Not at all,reading expands the mind.
Unless you read the Sun :P
Colt

Post by Colt »

Only usually get to about page 3! lol :D
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Before the pages get stuck together?
Sorry,
low blow :D
I read Private Eye myself along with National Review.
But then I'm a Republican by nature. :o
MajorRageUK

Post by MajorRageUK »

Wholley wrote:
Colt wrote: Sound like a right sad book worm..... lol :D
Not at all,reading expands the mind.
Unless you read the Sun :P
Haha, I actually mis-interpreted what you meant there. Had this vision of someone literally gawping up at the sun with their reading glasses on... then I realised the capital ''S''.

Hey Colt, thanks for the book references, I've just ordered all 3 off Amazon.
phoenix1379

Post by phoenix1379 »

Alright lad, welcome to the forum.
I smoked all the time during my 5 years in the infantry.
I was really fit and it didnt bother me much at all.
I left the Army 8 years ago.
Im now 29 and quit smoking 4 years ago, im now fitter than i was back then as well. I now think to myself if i didnt smoke back then how fit would i have been then?????????
Simple answer, VERY. A WHOLE HEAP FITTER.
You say you train nearly every day so fitness is very important to you.
There is no other way to say it. Being fit and smoking do not go together.
This may sound arrogant but i realy dont care cause its true, you CANNOT be at your peak of fitness and smoke, it is impossible.
Dont get me wrong, i loved having a fag back then, especially out on exercise when its pissing down and your cold wet and tired, its your last comfort.
But seriously, dont smoke, your in your physical prime now so quit whilst you still can, and will it make a difference now, DAMN RIGHT IT WILL.
The sooner the better.
Im sure loads of people say yeah i can still smoke and run a marathon, im sure they can but imagine how better they would be running it faster, easier, and having a quicker recovery time and not coughing afterwards.
It makes sense lad, do yourself the biggest favour ever and quit NOW.

:wink: :D
MajorRageUK

Post by MajorRageUK »

hey Phoenix, to be honest mate, I can't argue at all with what you've just said. It's good to see both sides of the coin. Not really considered how important a thing smoking or not smoking is until now, I'll make steps to quit sooner rather than later. I want to join the Para's, and I want to do it right. I've spent 6 months training to get this fit, (still a bit more to go, running my 1.5 miler in 10 minutes straight) Perhaps quitting smoking will just tip me over onto the right side of 10 minutes. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, it means a lot!
"As I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf***er in the whole valley." - Staff Sargeant from Jarhead.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

MajorRageUK wrote:I've spent 6 months training to get this fit, (still a bit more to go, running my 1.5 miler in 10 minutes straight) Perhaps quitting smoking will just tip me over onto the right side of 10 minutes. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, it means a lot!

Mate, quit NOW.

If you were running 1.5 miles in 7 minutes and smoking you would have no worries. But the fact is, you are slow. No 2 ways about it. You need to quit smoking and train like a motherf*cker if you have any hope of getting 9:18.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
MajorRageUK

Post by MajorRageUK »

Right, I woke up and had a cigarette this morning. It will be my last. As much as I enjoy smoking, if I can't get my arse into depot because of it, there's no f***ing way I'm going to near any tobacco. Thanks Para01, I know whatever you say carries a LOT of weight so I'd be absolutely thick as sh*t not to take heed.
"As I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf***er in the whole valley." - Staff Sargeant from Jarhead.
MajorRageUK

Post by MajorRageUK »

Just another question for you guys (sorry). I'm guessing at least a few of you will have had problems with your knees either before or during training. What did you guys do to maintain/increase fitness during times where you couldn't run? Personally, I'm using the cross trainer at the moment and go swimming every other day.