Share This Page:

Info on Paras

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
galvan

Post by galvan »

ill just keep running then ! :P
phoenix1379

Post by phoenix1379 »

I dont know why everyone is giving this guy a hard time.
I was infantry 10 years ago and my attitude has always been- if you want it bad enough and you work hard for it you will eventually get there, some times it will take longer than you think, or want, but if you prepare yourself mentally thats half the battle.
i was certainly fit enough when i was in the army anyway.
i only had a months notice to prepare for the paras 10 and was quite unfit, but i got a bergen and beasted myself for the month. 3 or 4 tabs a week.
I then completed the event in 1 hour 50 mins 55 seconds.
Civilian fitness instructors certainly have their place. i know some civilian instructors that would put army pti's to shame with their fitness, dedication and knowledge so surely any help a bloke can give is better than no help.
you dont need to have military experience to get a mile and a half run down in time. Having the right attitude to fitness is the most important thing. so please, lets stop giving a bloke who is trying to help a hard time. Also, does it really matter what he calls himself either. Or why he calls himself that. instead of moaning about some such little issues how about helping people on this forum who are in need of it and are asking for it. or giving advice on what experience you have or knowledge you have. Instead of criticizing others for doing the same.
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

Why's everybody being so pedantic?
phoenix1379

Post by phoenix1379 »

im sorry if i come across pedantic as i did not mean to be.
But, i just hate it when people give others needless crap without just cause.
If you aint got something positive or constructive to say is it really worth giving abuse instead.
I can have a laugh and joke with the best of them, at work i give and take abuse all day long and have a laugh about it. But thats what is not going on here.
and i never made the dizzy rank of Corpral.... i mean Corporal!!!!!!
Jeez, i never knew missing out a letter ment so much to some people.
phoenix1379

Post by phoenix1379 »

Surely its possible to fail a mile and a half run yourself and give advice to others on how to pass it.
I could not run a marathon at the moment but i have the knowledge to give to others to best prepare them and get them fit enough to partake in one.
This guy never said he knew how to get someone through ITC or P Coy, he stated on how to get a mile and a half run quicker. You need no military knowledge for that.
And i am not questioning your training methods or advice at all, far from it in fact.
I just stated that there are many civvie instructors out there that are far superior on fitness training than many Army PTI's.
These people go to college and uni for years studying anatomy and physiology, nutrition, sports science, training methods, recovery methods etc.
They cant tell you how to pass P Coy, RM Commando tests or anything like that but they can give advice on personal fitness and how to be at your peak fitness according to their personal goals.
And are these qualified civvies in peak physical condition themselves, of course not but they still know what they are talking about more than any Army pti would.
ParaMarine

Post by ParaMarine »

I am guessing that is mainly aimed at me, so heres something too think about he is saying he can get anybody fit enough too pass something he failed. Would you take driving lessons off someone who had never passed a driving test ??

And yes i have helped quite a few off here with tips for passing adsc then getting prepared too start depot para mainly in pm, as i can safely say i am more qualified with more knowledge and experience on the subject than anyone else on the forum and any civvie instructor.[/quote]

Ok im sick of repeating myself now...I Failed when i was 16 i am now 21! I offer help to those who need it Im Qualified in:

Gym (Advanced)
Circuit Training
Nutrition and Weight Management
Sports Conditioning
Client Lifestyle and Fitness Assessment
Exercise Referral for Clients with Specific Controlled Conditions
Training in Different Enviroments
The Personal Trainer Award

So please dont tell me your more qualified than me just because you have passed out

I run a time off 7.48 (1.5 mile) if people want to achieve this time im sure they would come to me and not you
ParaMarine

Post by ParaMarine »

And Cheers Phoenix for been with me on this 1! Yes your absolutly correct...bout 40-60% of all fitness instructors dont keep themselves fit simply cos they dont have time due to clients! Sometimes im working from 6am till 10pm.... (Sandy also those who cant teach)
phoenix1379

Post by phoenix1379 »

ok lads, lets not get carried away. this has got a bit too serious now.
Sandy, in no way am i having a swipe at you.
I completely agree with your statement about yourself.
There is no better person on this forum to give advice on how to prepare for para adsc, ITC and P-Coy.
Your knowlegde on this subject is massive considering you live and breathe this 24/7.
However, from my experience army PTI's mainly do their fitness training from giving recruits a good beasting and helping them develop thier mental approach to not quitting and going through their pain barrier to be the best they can be.
However i know it takes much much more than that to be an army PTI, and i would not insult any army PTI to only having this knowledge. I know you guys do shitloads of classroom work and its takes a big commitment to pass the PTI course.
You guys do a amazing job to get so many blokes from very basic fitness to be able to be battalion fit which in my humble opinion is higher than P-Coy. After all, operations is when the fitness really pays off.
I was merely pointing out that people who compete, who take part in local, regional, world and olympic level, people who lose 5 stone in weight, people who do ironman competitions get advice and support and training from "civvie" instructors.
I personally would not take advice off a civvie from information to best prepare for P-Coy or any other military task, as their knowledge would be limited. An army PTI would certainly be my first and only port of call.
However, if i wanted to get fit, and wanted to know what the best things were to eat, specefic muscle groups to train and so on a civvie instructor would certainly be my first point of call.
I personally think, that civvie and military fitness are quite seperate.
With military fitness its certainly more mental, to tab with 40 pounds on your back takes a certain type of person, you need someone to give you a kick up your backside, to get in your face when you want to quit, to boost your morale when the going gets tough, and to come down hard on you when your slacking. ONLY a military PTI can do this.
But to get fit, to inprove times to train for a specefic event, i think any good civvie instructor can do this, but only with someone who wants to put the time and effort in.
Both you blokes do great jobs and you both have you place, i just didnt like it when civvie instructors are portrayed as crap and "lesser" than army PTI's.

Sorry that was a massive post as well.
ParaMarine

Post by ParaMarine »

Ok Sandy will you please tell me at what point in my post have i said ill train someone for P Coy.....Exactly nowhere!!!!

Iv said before there is a massive difference between 'Athletic' Fitness and 'Battle' Fitness...Its your job on the P Coy side of things to get the required recruit to a stardard to pass P Coy which Obviously is battle fitness...!

I have much respect for you and what you have achieved...But i have no desire to tell you how to train your recruits so please dont try to out qualify me its not a competition! Ill offer help to those who need it.

And i dont kno your run time but im guna go out on a limb at say yours is around the 8-9min mark...Simply because theres no need for you to improve your times
phoenix1379

Post by phoenix1379 »

ill say he will be slightly quicker than that.
2 reasons.
firstly cause he done two laps of paras 10...... which requires awesome fitness.
second, just so he can prove you wrong.

:D :wink:
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Sandy The Guvnor wrote: You couldnt be more further from the truth when you say that as I am always striving too improve everything i do. I am a 100% believer in the saying monkey see monkey do as i wouldnt tell or get a recruit too do something i couldnt do or wasnt prepared too do myself.
I used to like your Battle PT sessions sandy. Getting 2 long posts out and using them in teams of 3 as a stretcher race. The logs are always a favourite!

And that game we played where you had to physically put someone in the football goal to score. No real rules, just anyone can put anyone else from the other team into their goal to score. :lol:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!