Share This Page:

Running

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Wilko

Running

Post by Wilko »

Hello people

Just sorting out a training programme for the next month and wanted some advice. Im pretty much there with my upper body strength so its just the 1.5 mile run that i need to improve before i get sent for selection. Is it best to keep running that 1.5 miles over and over or should i be doing 3mile, 5 mile and 8 mile runs ect? My legs can take it but cardio wise i just cant keep the pace up to make the 9.18 mark.

Thank you in advance
Scott
CardSharpe

Re: Running

Post by CardSharpe »

Wilko wrote:Hello people

Just sorting out a training programme for the next month and wanted some advice. Im pretty much there with my upper body strength so its just the 1.5 mile run that i need to improve before i get sent for selection. Is it best to keep running that 1.5 miles over and over or should i be doing 3mile, 5 mile and 8 mile runs ect? My legs can take it but cardio wise i just cant keep the pace up to make the 9.18 mark.

Thank you in advance
Scott
I am in much the same situation, I really struggle with my running.

I was advised on the insight course to do interval training over a three or five mile course - sprinting for a minute and jogging for a minute etc. Supposedly this is a good way of building up cardio endurance.

I've only just started so not sure whether it works or not :) just thought it might be worth looking at.
drummerja

tf

Post by drummerja »

not only is it for good cardio building, its also good for burning fat, which is mainly what it is used for. it also helps with your breathing and recovery. ie, that you can do a short sprint, and not need to stop and breate! as far as the running goes, i have found that sprinting short distances helps, running longer distances helps with endurance, but not your speed which i presumme your trying to increase? interval running i have always found is the best way to increase stamina, endurnace, recover and training in general. do it in lampost if that helps, jog for 2/4, print for 2 and over and over. do around 10 intervals. failing that, tredmill time! 2 min jog, 2 min sprint. i still keal over doing intervals, it dosnt seem like your doing alot when you read it, but by christ after the cross trainier,bike and rower its a killer!

good luck, and keep us all informed of your progress!!

btw, swiming also is thee best, as it works nearly every muscle, and helps with your breathing! :wink:
DJSOLUTION

Post by DJSOLUTION »

Also you might want to start doing hill sprints thats worked for me getting my speed up. Another thing is do 3 miles at 75% of the effort you would put in to your 1.5m, doing this should mean when you next try your 1.5m you should be able to sprint for longer at the end. At the moment im doing the potential para training program on this site and its working for me so you may want to have a look at that and see if its suitable for you.

Good luck with your training and hope it all goes well
Application sent - 16/07/2008
BARB Test - 04/08/2008 PASSED
Insight course - 05/09/2008 PASSED
ofens

Post by ofens »

I found interval running (e.g: jog 200m, sprint 200m x8) really good for improving my 1.5 mile time.
When 200m gets easier, try 300m.
You can do it on a treadmill if you don't have access to a proper running track.

There are loads of other ideas and methods on here if you search.
Good luck... 8)
ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Wilko

Post by Wilko »

Thank you for all the advice people

I have started trying all these techniques and they seem to work awsome for cardio, specially the swimming (which i am not too strong at so best to practice anyway)

I will keep you posted on which techniques work the best

Thanks again
Scott
IV Cockney

Re: tf

Post by IV Cockney »

drummerja wrote:not only is it for good cardio building, its also good for burning fat, which is mainly what it is used for. it also helps with your breathing and recovery. ie, that you can do a short sprint, and not need to stop and breate! as far as the running goes, i have found that sprinting short distances helps, running longer distances helps with endurance, but not your speed which i presumme your trying to increase? interval running i have always found is the best way to increase stamina, endurnace, recover and training in general. do it in lampost if that helps, jog for 2/4, print for 2 and over and over. do around 10 intervals. failing that, tredmill time! 2 min jog, 2 min sprint. i still keal over doing intervals, it dosnt seem like your doing alot when you read it, but by christ after the cross trainier,bike and rower its a killer!

good luck, and keep us all informed of your progress!!

btw, swiming also is thee best, as it works nearly every muscle, and helps with your breathing! :wink:
Interval running is deffinately the way forward for improving on that 1.5 mile time. Dont take my word for it... ask my personal trainer!

As a 30 something "oldie" joining 4 Para I wanted to enlist the very best of help with every aspect of my training so spent out £200 per month on a top ex-pro athlete turned fitness guru trainer who's been measuring my BMI, monitoring my lung capacity and doing my programmes. OK ok so I know it all sounds a bit poncy and over the top BUT it just shows Im willing to do whatever I can to make sure I get through to my chosen Regt in addition to my own blood sweat and tears.

ANYWAY - I was really struggling with my 1.5 mile time and he built me a programme based around interval running and I couldnt believe that in all my years of training NOTHING has gotten me as forward as this method of training. Give it a go I think you'll be surprised!
[img]http://www.army.mod.uk/img/template/badge_para4bn.gif[/img] [img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/CockneyPlayboy//totumtotum.JPG[/img]
Wilko

Post by Wilko »

Cheers for the advice everyone.
I have my interview on the 28th August and depending what my run time is, they will decide if its time to send me to ADSC yet or not so fingers crossed. 2 weeks of solid cardio work to do now.
pripaterson

Post by pripaterson »

i am just awiting for my med to be passed, and after tips for doing the run traing and the run at adsc would you say got flat out at the start or not
Application sent : 31st July 08
Psychometric Test : 4th August - Pass 42 points
Eye Test : 10th August - Pass
Medical: 17th August - Awaiting Result
Interview:
ADSC:
Enlistment Date:
milleredgeside

Re: Running

Post by milleredgeside »

Wilko wrote:Hello people

Thank you in advance
Scott
Just set a target like memorise a 1.5 and keep trying it everyday and keep speeding up for pase and you'll hit the target in the end..get abit more running done up and down hills to get your leg strenth up mate
and never ever give up no1 want to be a loser just think that and try your hardest youve only got yourself to push you to the limits you can handle