Share This Page:

Shin Splints ><

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
drummerja

Shin Splints ><

Post by drummerja »

no matter how hard/soft i train, i always manage to screw my legs up. its not the shin its self (or so it feels) its the bottom insides of my legs that hurt when u press on them. like a bruse, but not if u catch my drift. when i run it hurts, then i run a lil longer and there fine, but when i come to the end of my 20-30min set, the ache and when i stop, its hard to walk. ive been training on the cross trainer and rowers to keep my cardio up whilst im resting my shins, but is there anything i can do to prevent this happening. possibly short sprints/jogs and then build up on them. not my beathing or distance, but the smaller muscles in my legs which possibly are getting stronger for some reason or other. ive got an insight course at the end of august and i dont want to be hurting after the 1.5mile jog, let alone the 1.5mile run straight after!!
any advice is much appreciated.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I know exactly what you mean with this pain. I have/had the same problem every few months or so with my swimming training when I really dig in with my running.

Whenever I had the pains, as you mentioned on the inside of the shin, it was sore to the touch and I could barely walk some days. I always went to see our trainer to check it out so if it is very painful at some point I would recommend getting it checked out as they helped a lot.

My few tips:
1. If it hurts during a session, get ice on them asap after for 10-20 minutes. I did this after each session and they felt a damn sight better after.

2. Be careful with them, I was constantly told if I kept pushing them when they hurt they could turn into stress fractures and I would be out for longer. I didn't listen to begin with as I thought I would just crack on and tough my way through it (as you do :wink: )but found there is a line between determined and stupid. I was out for 3-4 weeks at a time. I could barely stand let alone run with the team, and that never feels good. :o

3. I don't know how your situation will develop but I found that once I did the icing and resting the first few times it would be better within a week and as the year progressed I stopped having the problems and i haven't had to deal with them for a good time now.

That's all I can drag up from the memory banks right now but if I remember any more I'll pass it on. Hope your situation sorts out as I know they can farking hurt and be a right nuisance too.

The Hawkeye's no doctor but i hope it helps :)

Hawkeye
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Good tips hawkeye from all the research i've done thats pretty much things suggested. Obviously the other thing is because you'll want to keep up your fitness low impact exercises are usually advised such as static cycling and/or swimming. Also from what i understood see how it is after around 2 weeks. It maybe worth checking your wearing the right running shoes at a running shop. Good luck for your recovery.

Mike
Uncle_Sam

Post by Uncle_Sam »

I was suffering with the same thing when i was training for the marines. exactly the same with the pain when i first start the run and then also once i had finished.It gradually got worse until i could hardly run at all. Saw a podiatrist and physio about the problem and he fitted me with insoles specifically for my feet and it sorted the problem pretty much!(i.e i could run 2-3 times a week with the pain manageable)only thing was it cost £310!! also the icing was a big help for me also. i was icing it immediately after the run which stopped the soreness there and then. slowly built up the running again whilst icing and its now perfect, and haven't had a problem ever since.

If the £310 bill doesn't appeal i would deffinitely give the icing a goto begin with. If i had of tried it before i got the insoles it may be that i wouldn't need them in the first place.

Goog luck with everything drummerja. I hope this helps.
Psychometric tests - Passed
Interview - Passed
Medical - 20/05/08
POC Brief - 20/05/08
POC - 02/06/08 - Passed
AIB - 17/06/08
drummerja

:)

Post by drummerja »

thanks alot for all the advice, ive stopped running as much now, only doing 20min weighted runs on tarmack, due to there being little if any fields near where i live. i run with around 10 litres of water in my pack, and ive bought some new traineers with added shock absorbers in. running only 2 times a week i havnt really had a problem with my legs, i can feel something where they used to be, but nothing at all what they were like. thanks again for the advice from all of you lot. hope whatever your goals are you achive, one foot in front of another!
still, i shall take the ice into concideration if they creep up again!! no doubt they will. uncle_sam, the "podiatrist and physiotrist" you saw, was that in the british army? or an outside company/docters? just a though. if they creep up in training, i want to know i can get something for them, rather than getting to the point that i would get MD! :(
Watch your spelling and grammar.
Re-write the post correctly or see it deleted....
W.
Uncle_Sam

Post by Uncle_Sam »

No probs. The podiatrist I saw was a private external practice in Portsmouth, although he said the techniques he uses are available in other places also.
Psychometric tests - Passed
Interview - Passed
Medical - 20/05/08
POC Brief - 20/05/08
POC - 02/06/08 - Passed
AIB - 17/06/08
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I went to she runs he runs a running shop at meadowhall. Stick you on a treadmill video you from the rear on how you run to see how you roll through your feet, how they land etc... I have a neutral running style and unfortunately for me the running shoes i was using made me roll off the inside. Also the new running shoes i have, have around twice the thickness underneath the trainer for shock protection etc... so obviously the ones i was using although were said to be running shoes weren't really all that good. All fired up and ready to go on these new bad boys.

Mike
drummerja

Post by drummerja »

sterion66, do you know of any shops like that in the machester area? i read about those shops in mens health, where they put you on a tredmill and see how you run. i would much like to goto one of these stores but i cant find very much on the internet :/ i shall seach that 'he runs she runs'. cheers for the infomation guys
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

No idea mate maybe try somewhere like trafford centre or there is one beginning with an A which the name eludes me at the moment. Shop wise just search for a running shop.
IV Cockney

Post by IV Cockney »

I used to suffer with this terribly when I first started running for this. Now before EACH AND EVERY run I either sit on the soles of my feet tucked under my ar#e and lean backwards to stretch everything or press against a wall again with my soles touching my ar#e and the plate of the foot against the wall and dip down to stretch. Providing I do this my problem is much better.
[img]http://www.army.mod.uk/img/template/badge_para4bn.gif[/img] [img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/CockneyPlayboy//totumtotum.JPG[/img]
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Cheers for them Cockney, I used to get shin splints quite bad months and months ago but they seem to have dissapered now. Anychance of explaining more or drawing a pic of the second one though, Im being slow and dont understand how your ment to do it. Just got back from the gym now and I tried that first one and it seemed to stretch my lower legs pretty good.

Cheers,
Dave
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09