Share This Page:

Minimum Weight Restrictions

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
tom163

Minimum Weight Restrictions

Post by tom163 »

Is there a minimum weight you have to be to get to training e.g. pass the medical or not? I've been told there is and some say there isn't, so im confused. I weight about 9.2/9.4 stone at the minute.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

There is a minimum weight but I don't think it's an actual set weight that you have to be heavier than.

As I understand it they work out whether or not you are the right weight for your height/build etc and obviously you can't join if you're underweight as it's unhealthy, similarly you can't join if you're overweight.

So where as 9.4 stone may be a healthy weight for some people it would be seriously underweight for someone who was say 6ft 6" and so they'd subsequently fail.

This is why they work out your BMI and body fat ratio.

There was a lad when I went to ADSC who failed his medical because he only had 6% body fat which is seriously unhealthy for any length of time.

Hope this helps and that it actually makes sense to you :lol:
ofens

Post by ofens »

As a rough guide, you might try calculating your BMI, and if that suggests that you're significantly over- or under- weight then you might want to address this before applying.

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index
Fingers crossed...
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Thanks a lot to you Alfa and also Ofens both a big help and my BMI is 18.75 and says I'm an ideal weight for my height so I'm quite happy that my training hasn't gone to waste :D.

Thanks again Tom
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

I've seen the minimum BMI stated on the Army website as both 17 and 18, so you're cutting it a bit close.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Really? :-?
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

If he's cutting it a bit close, then should he eat plenty of fats for a while or keep training the way he is?

David
StrongerFaster

Post by StrongerFaster »

Well if you're a fat boy, then weight does matter and if you're too thin then that's bad too, basically get a mirror look at it, tense, jump up and down, is your belly wobbling? If so you're fat. Can you see every sinew of your muscle and your ribs are entirely visible? If so you're underweight. It should be fairly straight foward. If you're fat, stop eating sugars and fats and do more exercise. If you're underweight then good for you because you can eat lots of lean protein and carbs (starchy carbs not sugars) do weights and you can bulk up pretty quick, if you want to just gain body fat the just eat fatty foods.
1664Kro

Post by 1664Kro »

mmmmmmmm....Kebabs :P
When Evil Strives To Overcome Good, When Firepower is Greater Than The Spoken Word Then Death Rides A Winged Horse
Spence

Post by Spence »

StrongerFaster, I'm afraid I don't quite agree with your explanation for macronutrient intake. The Insulin response from carbs would ultimately lead to an increase in the size of fat cells due to muscular desensitivity to the hormone.

To the OP, if your body composition is a concern then take your time in trying to change it. There is no point in gaining weight quickly to pass a medical when a) you could simply lose it again, or b) it could hinder performance.

Take your time in adding weight and allow yourself a chance to adapt. A larger person will have higher metabolic demands and this will have to be taken into account when performing training to increase cardiovascular endurance.
StrongerFaster

Post by StrongerFaster »

Spence wrote:StrongerFaster, I'm afraid I don't quite agree with your explination for macronutrient intake. The Insulin response from carbs would ultimatly lead to an increase in the size of fat cells due to muscular desensitivity to the hormone.

To the OP, if your body composition is a concern then take your time in trying to change it. There is no point in gaining weight quickly to pass a medical when a) you could simply lose it again, or b) it could hinder performance.

Take your time in adding weight and allow yourself a chance to adapt. A larger person will have higher metabolic demands and this will have to be taken into account when performing training to increase cardiovascular endurance.
Thank you doctor but my advice is solid, ask anyone who powerlifts or is into body building, muscles need starchy carbohydrates and protein to grow and they need lots of them. Sure if you eat carbs then don't do anything with them it will turn to fat but that's the case with most foods. If you eat starchy carbs you should have a 8 hour-ish time frame to use them as energy before they go to your waist. You will put on some body fat because your never going to get your intake exactly right, but most of the mass should be muscle. Also remember to eat vegetables and fruits regardless.
Spence

Post by Spence »

StrongerFaster wrote:
Thank you doctor but my advice is solid, ask anyone who powerlifts or is into body building, muscles need starchy carbohydrates and protein to grow and they need lots of them. Sure if you eat carbs then don't do anything with them it will turn to fat but that's the case with most foods. If you eat starchy carbs you should have a 8 hour-ish time frame to use them as energy before they go to your waist. You will put on some body fat because your never going to get your intake exactly right, but most of the mass should be muscle. Also remember to eat vegetables and fruits regardless.
Okay you either didn't read my post or you failed to understand what I said. Either way, wind your neck in.
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Top post Spence.
Well if you're a fat boy, then weight does matter and if you're too thin then that's bad too, basically get a mirror look at it, tense, jump up and down, is your belly wobbling? If so you're fat. Can you see every sinew of your muscle and your ribs are entirely visible? If so you're underweight. It should be fairly straight foward. If you're fat, stop eating sugars and fats and do more exercise. If you're underweight then good for you because you can eat lots of lean protein and carbs (starchy carbs not sugars) do weights and you can bulk up pretty quick, if you want to just gain body fat the just eat fatty foods.
Excellent analysis Doc.
do weights and you can bulk up pretty quick
How generous it was of you to share your bulking expertise, maybe you should consider holding on to this advanced knowledge, it is simply wasted on us mere mortals.

Nothing happens "pretty quick".
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

ADDiction wrote: Nothing happens "pretty quick".
It might if he walked into a dodgy gym and asked for a Mr D. Bol... :P

(Not advice!)
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

:lol:

Well he does seem pretty deluded, so maybe he already has.

I'm sure we'll all find out soon enough, when he comes back to inform me that I'm a twat.