Share This Page:

First mile and half effort

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
sterion66

First mile and half effort

Post by sterion66 »

I have completed week 1 of the suggested para workout programme except all done in the gym

Today instead of doing a 30 minute swim i attempted my first mile and half run over imperfect tarmac (i.e. dimps and climbs in the tarmac where peoples drives are).

After working on my car all day with heavy lifting and exertion from 9-5:30 i went on my first run.

Target time 9m 18s or faster
Completed 10m 32s

Didn't quite make it but this is my first exercise week i have done since march. Also done in trousers rather than shorts because i left them at my house and i'm at my parents(blaming my trousers for being 74s off due to extra wind resistance)

Edit:

Just a quick question on top of all that, has anyone had problems with pain in their ears after running?
tom163

Post by tom163 »

I have had pain in my ears before but I put it down to wind constantly blowing in my ears aswell as it was very cold. but I have a quick question for you mate, What was your fitness like before you started the 4 week program, and is it a good fitness guide program? I have it aswell just wondering wether to start there one or make my own. Cheers
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I haven't done any fitness CV since i was at school when i was 16. I am now 21 years old but 22 in september. I also crashed my bike racing in march which meant i was in bed for 7 weeks without using my legs much.

For some reason though(maybe just natural fitness) my first day of running i did 30 minutes on a treadmill although when i got off i couldnt really walk properly its all got easier. Swimming was definately a good exercise to do. I was amazed how unfit swimming wise i was. Great for improving muscle resistance, endurance and lung capacity.

As for the programme it's all going well and so far i would recommend it. After week 4 i'll let you know on the improvements

Mike
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Oh cool thanks mate, im off on holiday in 1 week so Ill have 24 hour access to the pool and going to start my 4 week program when I get back. Thanks for the quick awnser, Cheers.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

No worries mate wish you all the best. I will point out that i've found when your running you'll get to a point where your legs hurt or your breathing goes, if i focus more and run through it try to keep the speed exactly the same. There comes a point where your legs stop hurting and it's easier. Everytime you run they start at a point thats faster or further on than previous.

Also when your running pretending your on training and if you don't do it you'll fail tends to push you harder. Mental toughness and focus i found is the main thing. The physical side of things catch up eventually :)
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Set my target to be fit enough in around 8 weeks or so, put in an online application to join the paras. I'm going to go to the careers office this week. Judging by the above will it be obtainable to get to para fitness in this time? I'm not sure how quickly CV improves.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Yeah I no exactly what you mean mate, I have found that point already where it feels like your throat is going to close up and die but I can carry on past that but I get stopped soon after by this pain in my side (not sure what it is) and that stops me almost dead in my tracks and takes me to the ground some times, but I think its just stamina. Also started to run with a water bottle on hot days too and that sometimes helps abit.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I used to get that when i was younger and doing cross country i put it down to not doing any warmup and trying to run very fast straight off. Following the para training programme and doing warmups and muscles stretches don't have any of that problem anymore

Also i'd suggest as others have done a good intake of protein, i used to do a bit weight training so i have protein shakes. The one i have includes glutamine and other stuff like being high in BCAA's. The long and short of it my muscles don't ache half as bad and being as though BCAA make up a large percentage of muscle protein always good aswell.

Mike
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Yeah, My dad is a mountain biker and he has alot of the protein shakes and jellys etc so Ill nick a few off him and give it a go and get a good warm up sounds important too. You've been a big help mate, Thanks alot. :D
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

no worries mate, determination will get you everywhere, the run i did i had read sandys top tips and remembered if theres 300 metres left don't sit on the floor crying so you can't do it. Good luck!! lets hope we both make it
tom163

Post by tom163 »

:lol: Yeah, when do you think you will get to ITC? Im hoping for start/middle of next year or earlier if im fit enough.
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

we had a guy taking jellys and crappy protiens and shit like that u dont need them mate he came off th 10 miler on p-comany the medic found out he was taking them and went f@#k ballistic needless to say he failed p-coy all u need is plenty of water u should be pissing clear at least three times a day and thats enough the medic told us that youre body use's more fluid trying to digest that crap than the benifits you will get out of it .just work as hard as you can on the fitness while you are at catterick and you will reap the benfits on p-coy
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Oh ok, are you allowed to take water with you when running in P- Coy? like in a water bottle.
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

there are water stops then you refill the bottles from a jerry can out of the back of the ambulance to make sure the wieght is the same all the way round obviousley thats only on the 20 miler and ten miler but what i mean is on a night time .our pti used to come round on a night to make sure we all had a big bottle of water next to our pits
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Oh ok thanks, but you dont get water on the 1.5mi. Theres not much point me running with water is there?