Share This Page:

summer time!

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
the skeavster

summer time!

Post by the skeavster »

Now that its getting very hot, should I start running very early, sunrise sort of time, or is there another way to keep cool? Should i be used to running in the boiling hot, or is that just asking for trouble?

Cheers

Mark
that's your favourite!
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

the skeavster

Post by the skeavster »

Oh so there is, cheers very much Sarastro
8)
Mark
that's your favourite!
4of10

Post by 4of10 »

I do this every time! :evil: I visit this forum for a quick glance and end up spending hours here! I've got DIY tasks to get on with...

Sorry.

I'm no expert but...

Personally, I prefer to run early. Cooler and, once done, it's out of the way.

On hot days such as these, I sweat about 1 pint per mile.

Advice: if running, say, 2 miles, get at least 2 pints down your throat first. Do this gradually over the preceding hours and replenish liquid lost through urination. You want as much as you can comfortably hold. Obviously, you don't want a heavy belly so don't overdo it and try not to over-drink just before going out.

Avoid fatty and overly salty foods in the preceding hours.

At some stage, you'll need to run in heat. Just be careful, you won't want to screw-up and need assistance. :oops:

You might want to buy "Dioralyte" from the chemist. Replenishes lost body salts. Used for heat exhaustion cases. Kept in your first aid kit. Also, it might be good to keep a sachet in your brew kit.

Blackcurrant flavour definitely better than lemon... :D

In London, I don't bother running with water; most of my routes go past a water fountain twice, if desperate. Up North, I often do on longer runs. 1 litre bottle carried in the hand. I put a small amount of lemon squash in with sugar and salt. Tastes much like those over-priced energy drinks. If it doesn't boost my energy, at least it has salt (and sweetener to make it palatable).

Oh yes, of course! How do I know how much I sweat?!

Weigh yourself nude after having a p*ss and just before leaving. On return, strip off and weigh again. Fatties would love this part: you've lost weight! 1x pint weighs 1x pound in weight. (If I have my weights and measures correct). Replenish lukewarm water gradually. Cold water taken in can result in stomach cramps, I've been told.

Time to get on with some plastering... :-?
4of10

Post by 4of10 »

CHRIST, I NEARLY FORGOT!

Be sure to get dressed again before leaving the house!

:wink:
"No Camera - No Combat!"
the skeavster

Post by the skeavster »

:lol:

Ok will do, cheers.

Mark

PS I've got my RSC booked for the 6th July, so i'm pleased i've managed to squeeze onto one that is soon, i'll let everyone know how it goes, should be fine though.
that's your favourite!
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

Best of luck then,

Its nothing to worry about so just give it a good crack and you'l be fine.
Bettzy

Post by Bettzy »

Ive been speaking to mark online, his fitness and mental attitudes are perfect. Im sure he will pass no probs :wink:

Good luck anyhow :D
"Pain is temporary, victory is forever"
This quote helps me
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

Bettzy wrote:Ive been speaking to mark online, his fitness and mental attitudes are perfect. Im sure he will pass no probs :wink:

Good luck anyhow :D
Have you passed RSC?? Are you going for the paras??
Cobalt

Re: summer time!

Post by Cobalt »

the skeavster wrote:Now that its getting very hot, should I start running very early, sunrise sort of time, or is there another way to keep cool? Should i be used to running in the boiling hot, or is that just asking for trouble?

Cheers

Mark
Drink plenty of fluids and run in the midday heat. Works wonders for the stamina and when the weather cools down it'll feel a world easier.
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
Jobag

Post by Jobag »

In training, in battalion, during war...you will have to operate in any conditions. Training for that is all part of it, so get used to it. Drink atleast 3 litres of water the night before, and a litre in the morning, then go for your run. (thats what we all did for p-company, and it works well) :wink: