Share This Page:

Too old to join para's

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Boxing Mad,,,,,many of those people that are over 30 that do that course come from the Army and they have really trained for it.
thenewshmoo_1

Post by thenewshmoo_1 »

anyone watch the boxing on Friday? Carl thompson was 40 and still manages to beat up someone 17 years younger....i reckon this age thing is over-played...rank and experience are more important in my humble opinion, if they didn`t think people in their early to mid twenties could get a decent crack as a para they wouldn`t accept them....your only limits are the ones you place on yourself....besides as was said before this guy could start as a soldier then go for a commission when`s he`s 30 if he`s up to scratch
Keep Britain Tidy
Tab

Post by Tab »

There are a number of sportsmen around who don't know when to stop. If you are very fit and keep your self that way you may be lucky and have a long career, just look at Stanley Mathews he was still playing first class football up untill he was 50, but I have also seen very fit youngish people drop dead from doing to much. So it is a case that if your god smiles on you then your luck is in, other wise make out your will.
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Bloody hell this thread is getting depressing. I'm 24 this november and Hopefully I will be in phase 1 training by this time. I'm volunteering to do the AACC after training and you lot are making me feel like I'd better avoid it for fear of swallowing my false teeth..
I'm not an expert but I think it's less about age and more about fitness. I've met blokes at gyms etc. Twice my age who could carry on training long after I staggered to the changing rooms exhausted. I don't know how they'd fare on the P course or the AACC, but blokes like this who have kept themselves in shape all their lives would probably do a better job of it than some of the kids going to ITC/CTC today.
When you hit your mid-twenties, you don't have to turn to the sofa and hang up your trainers. Look after yourself and I'm sure you'll keep your youth way into later life. Exercise has been proven to reverse some of tha aging process.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
adj125

Post by adj125 »

:oops:
Last edited by adj125 on Fri 10 Aug, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
briggfoot

Post by briggfoot »

good luck with it mate,
i remember hearing somewhere, that at about 25ish, you are at your peak of physical fitness that you will ever be.
if you want it, jump at it 100%, the only thing that is stopping you joining is yourself, thinking negatively, what if im too old, to young, to fat, too thin, to blue.

it will take a lot of bottle but like the nike add says "Just do it," nothing ventured nothing gained.

good luck with whatever you decide to do
andy
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Briggfoot wrote: if you want it, jump at it 100%, the only thing that is stopping you joining is yourself, thinking negatively, what if im too old, to young, to fat, too thin, to blue.

it will take a lot of bottle but like the nike add says "Just do it," nothing ventured nothing gained.

good luck with whatever you decide to do
andy

That is so true. I couldn't have put it better myself!
flamma28

Re: Too old to join para's

Post by flamma28 »

Hey guys sorry for refreshing old staff but could somebody help me answer few questions ? Well i just turn 24y been thinking about joining paras forever and im physically fit, however i never did the reason is because i wasnt born here but in Poland however i spend half of my life in UK but im afraid with the racism in army considering my place of birth is it thing to worry about is it worth it? if im more or less foreign could somebody with experience share his thoughts ?