Share This Page:

Boxing in the Paras

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Boxingmad

Boxing in the Paras

Post by Boxingmad »

As the name suggests, I love my boxing! What's the boxing like in the Paras? Are there opportunities to box for the Army & the Combined Services? How does boxing in your coy, battalion etc fit in with one's normal life in the Paras?
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

Aparently if you are good enough, all you wil do is train to box, and not much else apart from the ovboius like doing guard duty, exerices and so on and so forth. This is what i was told by a Para Sgt on my Insight Course, as he did the same sort of thing but for Rugby.
Get on "PARADE"

"You drill like a bad hip-hop artist, MC Miss A Beat"
Tab

Post by Tab »

They are Boxing mad, they always have a great team and every one trys out for it, well they used to in my day. We had try out for every sport going, those that where above average on any sport went on the sports team.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
jay999

Post by jay999 »

I'm not 100% sure on this but i think the paras do quite a bit of milling which is not actually boxing but the principles are similar tho in milling i dont think you can block and just have to keep hitting!!!Looks fun if you have the bollocks for it
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

Milling is part of P-Coy and it's the only time you'll do it unless you decide to have a few too many down town and play with the locals 8)

The Para's are mad for boxing, the battalion teams look after their boxers and if you are that good you'll get noticed and pushed forward for the Regimental team, from there it's down to you....If you get picked to represent the Army you can kiss good bye to your green kit and stagging on as you'll practically become a pro boxer for the Army :lol:

Hope that answers your question..?
"Every man an Emperor!"
day tripper

Post by day tripper »

I love boxing too, cant speak for the paras but I know if you like boxing in the raf you'll get well taken care for. At the boxing club I go there was a guy who was a raf regimental boxer in the 1950's and he said was treated like a vip. He also said one time Brian London was running round the barracks when the union jack was being lowered, and he kept on running only to be beasted by a drill sgt.

You know Amir Khan the young guy in the olypmics the media are starting to leach onto, I go to the same boxing club.

6.30pm today bbc2, i know he will win the gold!
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning, smells like victory...
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Yeah, he's great. The boxing club I go to was where Danny Williams boxed. He's a good mate of mine. So we know the two individuals who've lit up the boxing scene in the UK/world in the last two months. Funny that.

Amir is a prodigious talent. He'll definately make the final, but Mario Kindelan is THE best amateur in the world. On this occasion I think he'll win gold because he is super slick and has beaten Amir once already.

Having said that, Sunday could be the night where Amir raises his game and does him over. That would be something.

I hope Amir stays amateur and goes for the world championships next year and the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. What's the point of going pro at 17. Too much too soon. He's a really nice lad, too.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
jay999

Post by jay999 »

so if you become a boxer in the forces is that goodbye to your regular green stuff or is it up to you?