Share This Page:

Yet Another Fitness Training Thread

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
para_recruit2

Yet Another Fitness Training Thread

Post by para_recruit2 »

Everyone's seen the official para reg. training schedule which basically says run once a day and do circuit training once a day, but I know for a lot of people that's not enough. Also, I know this has been covered a lot in the RM Joining forum, but I thought it would be good to have one specifically for potential paras.

At the moment I get up around 5.30, get my breakfast and at 6.30 I strap on my bergen and walk up the hills (I say walk... I do force the pace). This takes around 90 minutes. In the evening I go out for a run. I change my route every day so there's no set length but I try to stay out for around 30-40 minutes or until i'm f.ked. I also work on my pressups, situps and pullups a few times a week. I give the run a miss on tuesday evening and don't train at all on sunday. On saturday I do a BFT (mile and half out, mile and a half back in best time) and record the results.

My first question to any ex paras, bootnecks, "hats", personal trainers and professional athletes... but more specifically ex or serving paras is... do you think this is a good fitness schedule?

Secondly, is walking with weight a good idea or should I drop it for running twice a day instead? Or maybe run twice daily until i'm up to scratch and then introcude walking with weight? Or just walk once or twice a week?

Basically i'm trying to write a fitness schedule for people like me who almost every day free (or partially free, part time college etc.) to train and want to get fit as quickly as possible. Something like an athlete would follow.

Mat.

ps. i'm not a scruff, i get enough money from the ta to cover the bills. :wink: [/b]
Dodging the bullets and dodging the shells,
Passing the enemy and Airborne he yells,
Killing them here, and killing them there,
This young para is past giving care.
ABI

Post by ABI »

Many moons ago when I was getting ready to join up I followed a similar programme as you. I'd run to and from work most days (approx 5 miles) followed by sit ups, press ups etc when I got home. On the days I didn't run into work I'd do a ten miler with a 35 pound bergan in the evening. I made sure I had time to recover at weekends, you can over do it if your not careful.

The biggest advantage I had was an elder brother in 10 Para who would beast me on the tabs. I also packed up work six weeks before joining and trained like a bastard, it helped once I got in without doubt.

As a sixteen year old I thought that everyone planning on joining was doing the same as me so I was a little surprised to find out once I got there that they start you off on low milage runs and gradually build you up. It makes sense now I know, but at the time I thought you put your bergan on your back on day one a never took it off. (cheers bruv)

Not sure if you will be able to set out a template training programme as everyone is different, I think if you stick to your current one you should be OK, mind you don't over do the tabbing it can knacker your knees. If your good enough to get in be aware that the distances and the loads increase once your in Battalion!!
para_recruit2

Post by para_recruit2 »

Gotta love militaryforums. Where else do you get straight information like that... Not at the recruitin' office for sure.

I'll carry on with what i'm doing but i'm gonna start running twice daily - just wanna spend the next 3 months or so beasting myself up the hills and doin longer and longer runs. And if any other potential paras are reading this - do the same because i've talked to a few hopefuls who are aiming for the minimum standards set out and that isn't gonna help your chances any.

In fact I wanna see what I can do if i push myself to the absolute limits, but it's gonna have to wait until sunday because i'm representing the army at a fair or somethin tomorrow (get 3 days pay for it because nobody else wanted to :wink: )

Cheers for the advice ABI (and to whoever set up these forums coz they're f.kin mint).

Mat.
para_recruit2

Post by para_recruit2 »

Oh yeah.. one more q - what did you do for the 6 weeks before you started? Did you train all day? (is that even possible without injuring yourself?)

Cheers;
Mat.
ABI

Post by ABI »

Blimey it was 20 years ago, I can't remenber exactly what I did but I basically trained every day either running or tabs and lots of sit up, press ups etc. Get the right balance, if you get mega fit and peak just as you join then your body will not be able to respond to the training programme. I'd aim to get a good, steady all round fitness level and let the PTI's beat you up when you get there.

I'm saying this after just finishing a 15 miler this morning, how sad is that!!
para_recruit2

Post by para_recruit2 »

Cheers for that.

I'm now running twice a day, with a couple of runs per week replaced by tabs and speed sessions. My endurance is fairly good, but I need to work on sprints etc. By the end of last week, I was aching all over but today i'm recovered and ready to go again, so I think i've got the balance about right.

Apparently there's a recruit training course starting in September which would be good for me as it gives me 5 months to build up my fitness, and also to do my HVM operators course with the TA (not much use in para reg. but lots of fun apparently). So anyway, if all goes well I should be passing out and off to my jumps course just about this time next year. Expect a post with the pictures of my pass-off parade :D

Mat.
para_recruit2

Post by para_recruit2 »

MONDAY
WALKING WITH WEIGHT
GYM - WEIGHTS - CHEST AND TRICEPS
ABS (session at gym)

TUESDAY
5 mile run
GYM - CARDIO

WEDNESDAY
5 mile run
Cross training (45 mins to an hour timed and recorded circuit training.)
ABS

THURSDAY
GYM - WEIGHTS - BACK AND BICEPS
- REST -

FRIDAY
5 mile run
GYM - CARDIO

SATURDAY
WALKING WITH WEIGHT
GYM - WEIGHTS - SHOULDERS, LEGS

SUNDAY
- REST -

NOTES:
Tuesday Cardio:
Treadmill 15 mins (2 mins run, 2 mins jog)
Rower 15 mins
Cross trainer 15 mins
Bike 15 mins

Friday Cardio (timed and recorded):
Rower 2k metres
Treadmill 2k metres
bike 2 miles
box steps 200

I run the 2 miles to the gym, so every day I should hopefully be getting a bit better at that all important mile and a half run time.

The "ABS" session is a 20 minute class at the gym and they just do circuits of crunches, leg raises etc. There's an hour circuit training class straight after it as well which I might do, depending on how knakcered I am.

Walking with weight - i take my bergen with around 30 or 40lbs and walk up the hills, which are steep as f..k in some places. I try and force the pace but I don't run.

I've also got a copy of the bleep test which i'm gonna try and do in place of the run once in a while, and i'm gonna try and throw in some speed sessions too.

Finally, after watching forest gump :D , i decided that if i was gonna go to the shop or anywhere, i'd run there and even if it's only half a mile or even a hundred metres - if it makes you short of breath it's helping you.

This is the kind of program a full time athlete would follow. If you try somethin like this the main points are to drink a lot more than you would normally, eat the right kind of food (not neccesarily low fat etc., but things that will help you train hard), and sleep plenty. Also, the main thing is to listen to your body - you're going to get little niggles with training 2 and 3 times a day but if it hurts in a way it shouldn't do - stop. you're just training, not trying to prove anything. also if you find your muscles don't have enough time to recover, take it a bit easier the next day.

The main point is to stick to the program. i've been training twice a day for the past month or so and i've noticed a lot of difference. Not least that i can now actually run the whole 5 miles without stopping, albeit not particularly fast. Might not sound like much of an achievement but i've always been sh.te at running.

Alright, that's my bit. Anyone have anything to add?

Mat.
theparamancan

Program

Post by theparamancan »

Wait a bit and i'll post the program my PTI gave me. This will bring you up to P-Company standard in 16 weeks as it is what us TA Paras have to follow in our own time. :D
para_recruit2

Post by para_recruit2 »

ahhh nice one, gettin along like brothers already :wink:
ABI

Post by ABI »

Well done lads, keep up the good work.

My advice is to start your training at 110% and then get faster.........!!

You may be among the chosen few who have been lucky enough to wear the Maroon Beret soon.
GAFFER

Post by GAFFER »

I cant wait to start my traing.Just reading this makes me excited and thinking I could be wearing the maroon beret and be a maroon machine!!!
theparamancan

Post by theparamancan »

:agrue:

Ok the program is posted in the Joining the Parachute Regiment section
elsa10

Re: Yet Another Fitness Training Thread

Post by elsa10 »

Health seekers—no need to do cardio everyday. ... If your cardio is light, you should do 300 minutes of it per week. If your cardio is moderate, you should do 150 minutes of it per week. If your cardio is vigorous, you can do as little as 75 minutes of it per week.
reinedouz

Re: Yet Another Fitness Training Thread

Post by reinedouz »

This thread will definitely like by fitness freaks like me, thanks for sharing.

personaltraining4u[dot]net