Share This Page:

Joining Up

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
just_me

Post by just_me »

Pretty sure it's a deadlift form, or rather that's what the PTI shows you how to do it.
Scouse_liam

Post by Scouse_liam »

just think marty, if you carried on in january 2008 you could of been a para now. haha just thought i would let you know. Hopefully you will get on my intake mate
BE A w@#k OR A PARATROOPER."
2 PARA
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

haha cheers for that mate, i never thought but now it makes me feel sick. Still i had a good time in USA and stuff but its nothing compared to getting the maroon machine.

Im secretly hopeful about that mate too be honest, im hoping i could get up to ADSC this month. Then they might push me forward, its cutting abit tight but im still hopefull. All i had on my medical was minor knee and back sprain when i was 12, and the GP attached a document saying i should return to sports ASAP. I told the recruiter and he said it sounds like theres nothing to worry about by the sounds of it, and they will tick you off straight away. Lets hope there the army docters arent busy so they get mine done.

Then i can email Para Regt and tell them to sack me off the insight course on 22nd Feb because im going to depot instead:) if only........
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Im over the moon, found out i passed my medical today :) got my interview on the 22nd Jan.

The blokes pissing me off to be honest, When i done my BARB Test on Thursday he talked me into putting Royal Artillery for a 2nd choice, after trying to persuade me to join the Coldstream Guards after i told him i didnt fancy it. Then today i called him and he said, so just do abit revision on the Paras and the Guards for your interview. I went "Guards"? i dont want to join the Guards, i said RA for 2nd choice. He said well ill just put your 3rd choice down as the Guards then, i just agreed with him and went alrite mate. No way im joining the RA or the Guards though.

There not going to try and get me into a different Regt up ADSC are they? My dads going to ring his mate to get in touch with ADSC and tell them theres a spot for me 100% at depot.
Scouse_liam

Post by Scouse_liam »

You can do brilliant all of the two days, but if you fail that run time your not gettin para reg. 3 lads went down for para reg when i went. Only two of us got it. That was down to not preparing themselves at all. Its there mate if you want it. FAIL TO PREPARE, PREPARE TO FAIL!!!!!!
2 PARA
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Ill make sure im ready mate, Timed my run the other day and got 9.27. Still got a to get fitter yet, starting to run further distances at the minute and the last 1.5 mile do a best effort.

I no i wont get Para Regt if i dont pass the times etc but my dad reckons years ago, they used too tell people they would have to wait months to go Para Regt because there wasn't any slots (even though there was) and alot of lads wouldnt want too wait and end up going somewhere else. I havent got a clue with all that milarky like, all im concentrating on is ADSC and passing that for Depot. After that i can then worry about Depot.

Im excited, but at the same time, im kacking it. Ive got a mate that i used to box with that might be going to depot the same time as you mate. I'll find out for defo and let you no
Last edited by partymarty1987 on Sun 25 Jan, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scouse_liam

Post by Scouse_liam »

Yer snd marty am on facebook aswell if you are? By the way i meant 13 lads went for para eag and only two got it. But if you keep trainin then you WILL pass. When they find out your goin para reg i felt that the staff at selection, had that liitle more respect for you. You will do it mate i know it..
2 PARA
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

nice one mate, ill send you a private message and ill ad you on facebook mate. Cant wait for ADSC like. If i get to Depot, not going to mention anything about my dad being in the Regt like, i reckon the PTI's will treat me worse lol
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Had all my interviews today, Passed all them. I had my interview with a lad from 2 Para, he booked me on to a Pre-Fitness Assessment on the 13th Feb with the AFCO (friday 13th :( thats abit naughty). But on my second interview, my Careers Officer told me he wants me up ADSC before the then. He reckons i'll be off to Basic before i know it lol

Got told to sack the 3 milers off, just stay out for 40 mins at a time and do abit Fartek aswell. Got told to start running with 10Kg on my back or even just brisk walking, to get me ready for Depot. Still doubt i'll be at Depot before the 22nd liam mate, i think thats abit too soon.
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Right so i started off on this forum about my army application. I thought i'd write down my process as i used to get excited reading about other lads applications and following there dream. So when i first wrote here i'm nearly done :)

I have had all of my interviews, passed selection but got refered to a optician and told to come back and do the eye test with a pair of specs. I got told there is nothing to worry about, it was only one eye that was a little bit gammy. So now i've got a pair Deidre Rasheed's finest and heading back up to Glencorse on Wednesday where i'll hopefully get a date to start Depot.

Getting selection out of the way was the main thing, I've never been so worried in all my life prior to Glencorse, my head was doing somersaults thinking was i going to pass the run times lol but the night before the run, i was saying to myself come on lad, just get this out the way then your sorted. I ran it in 9.26, i have been running it in 9.10, but changed my training about 10 days before selection and i dont think it worked lol I wasnt botherd about the run time though, aslong as i passed for Para Regt i was chuffed to nuts :) Taking my application one step at a time.

I've heard a few success stories on this website, and hopefully a few of the lads who post on here that have just went to Depot, Liam and Foshy end up with a Maroon Machine and so do i. This was a big decision packing my football in the USA to join the army instead, the college in america still thinks im going, dunno how there going to take it but thats life. I'll tackle that hurdle when i come to it.

Cheers for all the help the lads on here have given me, i will do the same if i can with new lads thinking about joining up.
Brummielad

Post by Brummielad »

How did you get too go college in USA for football :o

That would be my dream :cry:
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Brummielad wrote:How did you get too go college in USA for football :o

That would be my dream :cry:
Well it started because somebody saw me play over in newcastle, and he new a manager of a college in Connecticut. It turned out that i didnt have the grades to get into a 4 year college, so he put me in touch with people that were managers of community colleges. I played for a team over there for a little bit and from knowing people colleges started asking me to go there. Its not hard to get scolerships, because they just give you them to help you with your fees. But to play at a Division 1 college and get a full scolership is good. During guest month i would go training for colleges and stuff.

I've been coaching over there so you get to know people, you've got to be a good footballer aswell. Not bigging myself up or anything lol but a college isnt going to waste money on bad players.
Brummielad

Post by Brummielad »

get in there mate ! would love to do something like that myself.

Although at the moment the maroon beret is enough to kee me occupied 8)
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Thats the one mate, i cant wait to get to Depot. I'll find out my dates when i start tomorrow i think.
Brummielad

Post by Brummielad »

good luck mate!

If you dont mind me asking what happened on your eye test?

Most part im worried about :o

How far down the chart do you have to be able to read roughly?