Share This Page:

Personal fitness for ADSC & PRAC

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
tractorboydan

Personal fitness for ADSC & PRAC

Post by tractorboydan »

Good afternoon all.

I've browsed this forum on several occasions in order to find answers to various questions I've had and always found it handy. Finally decided to register and try and get a bit more information from those who know best.

Basically, aimed at any serving/ex-paras:
What is the best regime that I could implement in order to get the required fitness to confidently pass ADSC and then PRAC?

This is what I am currently doing: (full time work and living 15 miles from the town of work can be restrictive)
Monday - return from work & do 1.5 miler (current PB= 8mins 21secs), 60 press-ups (4 sets of 15) & 100 sit ups (4 sets of 25)
Tuesday - up at 5am & do 2.5 mile run (current PB= 15mins 16secs), press-up/sit-up routine from Monday repeated after work
Wednesday - Badminton, 45mins (more leisure than anything but is a good work-out)
Thursday - full repeat of Tuesday
Friday - full repeat of Monday
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - 3.5 miles (current PB= 21mins 37secs)

I feel fairly confident with my running. The improvements are fewer and further between than when I started (late Jan/early Feb) now that the times are getting as low as they are. Sundays I plan to increase over time (started at 2.5 miles), with a 5.5 mile route already mapped out, as well as an 8 mile route for after that.

I also feel that I could do a good 70+ sit-ups in the 2 minute time limit if I go non-stop.

My main concerns are the press-ups, of which 50 in 2 minutes are touch and go, and heaves, of which the target is 10 and I haven't even practiced yet.

So now you've read all that drivel, the main questions are:
What is the best way to improve upper body strength without going to the gym?
Does this regime seem like a good one or a bad one?
Do I require more training? More varied training?
Is this good enough to get through the ADSC and PRAC processes and then should I up the focus or should I up it now?

I feel that I am doing well but someone of experience may look at this and think it isn't good enough. Some advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I am 24 years of age, by the way (probably considered to be quite aged for a potential recruit).
ofens

Re: Personal fitness for ADSC & PRAC

Post by ofens »

Sounds like you're doing well there.
I'd sack the 1.5 mile runs, and do circuit training instead (at least once a week).
Sprint training too.
Mix things up. Your press ups and sit ups sound good but don't miss out on all round fitness.
What stage of the application process are you at?
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
tractorboydan

Post by tractorboydan »

Thanks for the advice, Ofens.
I'd like to keep sharp on the 1.5 mile, but agree that maybe twice a week is more than i need to do. I think I'll drop it to once and start some circuit training as you've suggested.
I've also started some basic weights as I am quite slight, so would like to build up some strength.

The application process is dragging (I applied on 5th April 2013). It is a rejoiner application (I got in and started training back in 2008 but DAOR for regrettable reasons that I won't bore you with), so currently it has been passed on to a records office in Glasgow where my previous 'service' (for want of a better word) can be assessed (I assume). I was told that they can't give me a date that it will be done by but expect it to be 4-6 weeks before I next hear something, which expired Friday just gone (6th Dec 2013), so I am going to start chasing them up at the NRC again today to see if I can squeeze any more info out of them (It's the not knowing that pains me, I can stand the wait - if it has to be the case then so be it, it's just not knowing when you'll hear/do something - very frustrating).
FurySam

Post by FurySam »

ofens wrote:Sounds like you're doing well there.
I'd sack the 1.5 mile runs, and do circuit training instead (at least once a week).
Sprint training too.
Mix things up. Your press ups and sit ups sound good but don't miss out on all round fitness.
Yep, I think it's important to be fit all around whereas situps and pushups pretty much just work the core and chest.

I've been thinking about doing some p90x or some other full body workout program. What do you think?
Last edited by FurySam on Thu 13 Feb, 2020 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Programmes like p90, insanity etc are great if you can consistently follow them, keep on top of your running as well though.
I've become keen on crossfit style training, it yields great results.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Arynews

Post by Arynews »

Sounds like you're doing well there.
Sprint training too.
JohnBlythe

Post by JohnBlythe »

tractorboydan wrote: Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:58 am Thanks for the advice, Ofens.
I'd like to keep sharp on the 1.5 mile, but agree that maybe twice a week is more than i need to do. I think I'll drop it to once and start some circuit training as you've suggested.
I've also started some basic weights as I am quite slight, so would like to build up some strength.

The application process is dragging (I applied on 5th April 2013). It is a rejoiner application (I got in and started training back in 2008 but DAOR for regrettable reasons that I won't bore you with), so currently it has been passed on to a records office in Glasgow where my previous 'service' (for want of a better word) can be assessed (I assume). I was told that they can't give me a date that it will be done by but expect it to be 4-6 weeks before I next hear something, which expired Friday just gone (6th Dec 2013), so I am going to start chasing them up at the NRC again today to see if I can squeeze any more info out of them (It's the not knowing that pains me, I can stand the wait - if it has to be the case then so be it, it's just not knowing when you'll hear/do something - very frustrating).
yes i already follow this advise
WilliamJones1

Post by WilliamJones1 »

Arynews wrote: Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:24 am Sounds like you're doing well there.
Sprint training too.
I liked this training. I will also follow this routine once in a week.
camytom

Post by camytom »

Arynews wrote: Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:24 am Sounds like you're doing well there.
Sprint training too.
I followed these all
GarryFields

Post by GarryFields »

tractorboydans wrote: Thu 09 Mar, 2406 1:29 pm Good afternoon all.

I've browsed this forum on several occasions in order to find answers to various questions I've had and always found it handy. Finally decided to register and try and get a bit more information from those who know best.

Basically, aimed at any serving/ex-paras:
What is the best regime that I could implement in order to get the required fitness to confidently pass ADSC and then PRAC?

This is what I am currently doing: (full time work and living 15 miles from the town of work can be restrictive)
Monday - return from work & do 1.5 miler (current PB= 8mins 21secs), 60 press-ups (4 sets of 15) & 100 sit ups (4 sets of 25)
Tuesday - up at 5am & do 2.5 mile run (current PB= 15mins 16secs), press-up/sit-up routine from Monday repeated after work
Wednesday - Badminton, 45mins (more leisure than anything but is a good work-out)
Thursday - full repeat of Tuesday
Friday - full repeat of Monday
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - 3.5 miles (current PB= 21mins 37secs)

I feel fairly confident with my running. The improvements are fewer and further between than when I started (late Jan/early Feb) now that the times are getting as low as they are. Sundays I plan to increase over time (started at 2.5 miles), with a 5.5 mile route already mapped out, as well as an 8 mile route for after that.

I also feel that I could do a good 70+ sit-ups in the 2 minute time limit if I go non-stop.

My main concerns are the press-ups, of which 50 in 2 minutes are touch and go, and heaves, of which the target is 10 and I haven't even practiced yet.

So now you've read all that drivel, the main questions are:
What is the best way to improve upper body strength without going to the gym?
Does this regime seem like a good one or a bad one?
Do I require more training? More varied training?
Is this good enough to get through the ADSC and PRAC processes and then should I up the focus or should I up it now?

I feel that I am doing well but someone of experience may look at this and think it isn't good enough. Some advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I am 24 years of age, by the way (probably considered to be quite aged for a potential recruit).
What is the standard 1.5 mile run time for entry to The Parachute Regiment? Between 9 minutes 18 seconds and 9 minutes 40 seconds.