Share This Page:

Fitness and gaining weight

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Neonobrien

Fitness and gaining weight

Post by Neonobrien »

hi I am wanting to join the RM and I have been to the office in Preston and they advised me to put on 10kg about 1 and a half stone in weight and be in the gym and be active as often as I can.I am Quite fit but find it hard to put on weight I could do with some advice on what eat and how often and also what to do in the gym as I would like to gain size but also improve my fitness at the same time. Please help as I am determined to join the RM as soon As possible And I want to make sure I am doing everything right in the gym. Thanks
EvansBT250

Re: Fitness and gaining weight

Post by EvansBT250 »

Neonobrien wrote:hi I am wanting to join the RM and I have been to the office in Preston and they advised me to put on 10kg about 1 and a half stone in weight and be in the gym and be active as often as I can.I am Quite fit but find it hard to put on weight I could do with some advice on what eat and how often and also what to do in the gym as I would like to gain size but also improve my fitness at the same time. Please help as I am determined to join the RM as soon As possible And I want to make sure I am doing everything right in the gym. Thanks

Have a look on the body building websites, you'll find that a weight gaining supplement will help no end, it's just to help you crash on the calories, work out how much calories you burn and add a 1000 to that, it'll be somewhere in the 3500 mark, it will take time though but a supplement stack would be the way to go I.e weight gainer protein shake, creatine supps etc. also if your metabolism is a real fast one, ease off the intervals and high intensity work, long, slow runs with help keep your fitness and limit the shock to your metabolism, fattys get better results with intervals and high intensity training as opposed to long and slow, you will need big heavy weights too, ignore the 8-12 rule, for building mass you want 5 sets of 5 reps working at 50% 65% 80% 95% this will increase mass quickly as 3 sets of 12 will create muscle fatigue and will burn more calories! It's another one for fatty's! Don't bother with bicep curls or anything that you think will make you look good either. You want compound excersizes (multiple joint movements) with a barbell so, back squats, bench presses, dead lifts, hang cleans, pull ups, bent over rows, snatches and military presses. Focus on your squats more than the others, it's proven to have the biggest impact on your immune system to create growth through the whole body! Putting on 10kg in muscle is quite a hard task, especially as I'm guessing your a 'hard gainer', it will also have quite an impact on your fitness speed, you will have to look at your time scales as you will have to put on 15 kg for you size and then you'll lose 5 kg when you get your fitness upto speed, it's not a 6 week thing! Hope this helps bud.

No disrespect to the fatty's on the site either, I am an ex fatty!
EvansBT250

Post by EvansBT250 »

I could do with some advice on what eat

Keep your meals to around 60% carbs 20%protein and 20%good fats forgot to add that bit
Tab

Post by Tab »

All that extra weight you will have to carry on the marches and when you are running, so don't worry to much about it. At one time all the soldiers were as thin as rakes and filled out with time.