Share This Page:

Improving cardio fitness

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
JayC23

Improving cardio fitness

Post by JayC23 »

Basically i'm joining the marines. Just passed my psychometric testing. My muscle strength is fine. I can do the required sit ups, pull ups and push ups to required form with ease and exceed maximum scores. Desperately need to get my cardio up. I can do about 10:30 for 1.5 miler, which is the bare minimum. I want to get it down to 9 minutes. Any tips. I'm currently doing two 3 milers a week, two 30 minute continuous swims a week and one interval session a week. Any criticisms of this routine/suggestions for improvement will be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently doing my 3 milers in trainers on a treadmill.
Firstmate

Re: Improving cardio fitness

Post by Firstmate »

Get off the treadmill and get out of the gym. You will need to show grit, determination, stamina and the ability to push yourself when you are hanging out of your arse. Running on a treadmill is all well and good and builds up stamina and speed. You will not be tested on a treadmill during the PRMC so get used to the outdoors in ALL kinds of weather.

It sounds that you have underestimated the requirement. Make no mistake about it, during the PRMC they will push you to your limit and beyond just to test your mental robustness as well as how physically capable you are.

GOOD LUCK.
Yer tiz