Share This Page:

30 miler vs 20 miler (P-Coy)

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
pushtiman

30 miler vs 20 miler (P-Coy)

Post by pushtiman »

Hi,

First off I want to be a Royal Marine just in case people think I'm asking about the paras and which are better, i'm defo not doing that!

Just puzzled when I looked at the P-company 20 miler and was shocked how quick they do it which is 4 hours and 30 minutes, compared to the marines 30 miler where they take 8 hours to do it. How is it that for only 10 miles more it takes 3 and a half hours longer?

I'm trying to work out the maths here but it seems either that the 30 miler is simply easier (not saying its easy! ha) than the 20 miler, or I'm not factoring in something here like the pace needed to complete the longer distance.

Also I thought the marines carry more weight for their tests but it sais that they both carry 35 ibs of weight, so just wandering why the marines 30 miler is so much longer?

Cheers
its like that

Re: 30 miler vs 20 miler (P-Coy)

Post by its like that »

you say the paras are better ? prove it.

im not having ago i just want to see if you have proof.

second of all there could be loads of things deciding this like the area, opportunity, access and everything.
pushtiman

Post by pushtiman »

I didnt say the paras are better i was asking why for 10 miles more its 3and a half hours longer to cover 10 more miles thats all. I want to join the royal marines, i'm just asking why they are going at a slower pace? I think the paras do it over the brecons as well, and the marines over dartmoore.
daz89

Post by daz89 »

its like that wrote:you say the paras are better ? prove it.

im not having ago i just want to see if you have proof.

second of all there could be loads of things deciding this like the area, opportunity, access and everything.
Wow now he didn't say that mate, I understand the question but I’m not in either the royals or the paras. But longer distance, different terrain etc will all add factors to the tests surely. Would you rather do 20 miles at a faster pace or 30 miles at a slower pace (over dartmoor), Im not sure what the paras do it over but someone here will?.

I’m sure someone else here will have a better opinion but unless you've done both tests how would you know?

Just my penny’s worth before this turned into a slanging match.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Good effort daz.
I could see the possibility of this thread turning into an eye gouging,hair pulling competition.
I think you saved us from a handbags at dawn scenario :D

Ever considered a peace-keeping career with the UN? :lol:
pushtiman

Post by pushtiman »

Thanks daz lol

Yes just an innocent question based on looking at times and sitances covered. But again i've hered that that is the part of p-company that is harder than the commando course (the tabbing), whereas other aspects of the commando course like upper body and overal strength and endurance is harder.

Maybe I shouldn#'t have asked the question but just curious, but maybe its to do with the different roles, like paras need to get into battle quick after a para drop, and marines dont need to be as quick after coming off a boat.

But where does the marines carrying heavier loads come from? Since in training paras and marines as far as i can see carry the same amount?
its like that

Post by its like that »

haha i do apologise gentleman, i thought he said 'paras which are better' in the first line. :2gunfire:
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Wholley hopefully one day serving under a green beret or a red hackle I maybe working for the UN! but I'll leave the politics to the 'professionals' :lol:

I seen that turning into a slanging match as well! :agrue:

No problem pushtiman, good luck with getting the answer to you're question though mate! haha
machinegundave

Post by machinegundave »

You've opened up a can of worms here...

I suspect the terrain over Dartmoor is more undulating than where the Para's do their 20 miler. Either that or Para's are just fitter...and they do more tests in P Coy. :whistle:
Ryan1990

Post by Ryan1990 »

The paras do there's on the Brecon beacons (where the sas do a fair bit of training so you know it's gonna be rough terrain) I think it's only quicker because the paras are a shock infantry so it's all about getting in and out quick. I don't know much about the royals capabilities but I've done my home work on the parachute regiment as I'm trying to get in :) the age old "who's better question is pointless though they're totally different but they're are the best we have :)
Nico (sout-africa)

Post by Nico (sout-africa) »

you can't say ether is better than the other thou ..... my personal opion is that the rm have there specified job and the para so you can;t compare them in any way ....... with that sed its most likly that the terrain and obsticals of the rm may differ from the parras but you will never now until you where in both mate.... good luck with the RM :snipersmile: hope you enjoy it
Rover

Post by Rover »

From a posting of mine on another forum. :)

You offen come across people remarking on which unit,ship or service is termed 'the best'.
IMHO which ever you are in has to be 'the best' otherwise why did you join it!! :shocked!:

But to clarify I think it best to consult a higher authority.

A Sailor, a Soldier, and an Airman got into a fight about which Service is the best. The fight was so heated, that they killed each other. Soon, they found themselves in Heaven. They see St. Peter walk by and ask, which Service is the best. St. Peter replied, I can't answer that. But, I will ask God what he thinks the next time I see him.
Some time later, the three of them see St. Peter again and ask him if he was able to find the answer. Suddenly, a dove landed on St. Peter's shoulder. The dove was carrying a note in its beak. St. Peter opened the note and read it out loud to the three men:

All three Services are Honorable and Noble. Each one of you has served your country well. Be proud of that!

(signed) GOD, Royal Marines (Retired).

I trust this helps. :wink:

(Well this is the RM part of the Forum) :D :D

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Walter Kovacks

Post by Walter Kovacks »

Going purely on the figures provided at the beginning of this thread (I haven't done any research), the actual speeds are about in line with what you would expect.

30 miles in 8 hours = 3.75 miles per hour or 16 mins per mile.

20 miles in 4.5 hours = 4.44 miles an hour or 13.5 mins per mile.

Meaning that in 8 hours the Paras would cover 35.5 miles or complete the 30 miles in 6.75 hours. However maintaining the 4.44 mph for another 10 miles would be crippling.

At the end of both tests I expect the vast majority of trainees are pooped!

Just as an example, the top 20,000m road runners compete at approx 21.8kph and 30,0000m at 20.8kph.
Meaning that a 20,000m runner could complete 30,000m 5 minutes quicker than the current world champion!

Amended accordingly! Either that or those long distance road runners are knocking out some hoofin' times!
Last edited by Walter Kovacks on Mon 30 Jul, 2012 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
MustGetFit

Post by MustGetFit »

Just as an example, the top 20,000km road runners compete at approx 21.8kph and 30,0000km at 20.8kph.
Meaning that a 20,000km runner could complete 30,000km 5 minutes quicker than the current world champion!
I'm hoping that the above is a typo :lol:

I think you mean 20km at a pace of 21.8km/h and 30km and 20.8km/h. I hope so at least :lol:
It is not my war. I do not agree with it but it is my duty to protect and serve the man next to me whose war it is and who does agree with it. I will die for this man. And one day, when it is my war that needs to be fought and when only I agree with it, he will be there for me, ready to die by my side.
803troop

Post by 803troop »

Don't forget, 8 hours is the maximum time allowed, so it is usually done faster, and you have to do the map reading on the 30 miler too.