Share This Page:

Tabbing

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Bees

Tabbing

Post by Bees »

I'm buying a Bergen, Any good circuits or advice on how to build up Tabbing?
owdun

Re: Tabbing

Post by owdun »

Wrong forum,Bootnecks don't do Tabbing,Yomping is their thing. :D :D
Bees

Post by Bees »

owdun wrote:Wrong forum,Bootnecks don't do Tabbing,Yomping is their thing. :D :D
Like that is it, whilst I find some more hairs for people to split perhaps someone of experience could give me some advice on how to improve my ability to carry PLCE over distance?

:)
owdun

Post by owdun »

Not splitting hairs,just putting you right.This is the Royal Marines section,and Royal Yomps.As to experience,how does 14 years grab you? I have no idea on current thinking on bergen weights,etc. maybe one of the younger generation can help.
Bees

Post by Bees »

owdun wrote:Not splitting hairs,just putting you right.This is the Royal Marines section,and Royal Yomps.As to experience,how does 14 years grab you? I have no idea on current thinking on bergen weights,etc. maybe one of the younger generation can help.

what happened to the banter??

was expecting a sharper response than that. Didn't mean to imply you had no experience though, but am still after some advice
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

:D

You've just gone and picked on THE two oldest and meanest Marines on this site .....

( Well, the other one is really old )

Yomping with a Bergan -
you grabs yer Bergan,
fills it up over the top with gear,
and you Yomp .... tup three.

Tips - put the heavy stuff at the top - such as radio, batteries (2), water container 1 gallon.
your ammunition belt, your binoculars. you'll find out more stuff ....

Your four x pint water bottles are suspended from the waist, not in your Bergan.

Do not exceed 110 pounds old money.
If you weigh about fifty kilo - you have a problem ... persevere ....

Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
timex

Post by timex »

You wont need to do any real distances with weight just yet as you will slowly build up to that at CTC, put a daysack on with about 20 pounds and do some steady walks but DO NOT run with it on as you will knacker up your knees! I wouldn't bother spending lots of money on a Bergan as the kit pusser gives you now is quite good.
Bees

Post by Bees »

Thanks fella's,

Got a longback off ebay for £18, put a load of water in it and packed it out with a quilt.

I'll crack on with that.

What sort of distance? its going to be at least 6 months before i'm in so i thought it might pay to get used to carrying weight.
Bees

Post by Bees »

Pilgrim Norway wrote::D

You've just gone and picked on THE two oldest and meanest Marines on this site .....

( Well, the other one is really old )

Yomping with a Bergan -
you grabs yer Bergan,
fills it up over the top with gear,
and you Yomp .... tup three.

Tips - put the heavy stuff at the top - such as radio, batteries (2), water container 1 gallon.
your ammunition belt, your binoculars. you'll find out more stuff ....

Your four x pint water bottles are suspended from the waist, not in your Bergan.

Do not exceed 110 pounds old money.
If you weigh about fifty kilo - you have a problem ... persevere ....

like the old pic :)
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

8)

You wouldn't like the old fella :D

Old ? What do you mean Old ? That's my gear that is - look at the name on it !

And as for packing out the sack with a quilt - there is a story there .....

Some of the men packed out there gear with newspapers after quite a few exercises in preparation for a raid on a well known sun spot - only to find that that time it was the real thing :D

And - rum in your water bottle is a giggle on board but not on the beach - same as above .....
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Bees

Post by Bees »

Pilgrim Norway wrote:8)

You wouldn't like the old fella :D

Old ? What do you mean Old ? That's my gear that is - look at the name on it !

And as for packing out the sack with a quilt - there is a story there .....

Some of the men packed out there gear with newspapers after quite a few exercises in preparation for a raid on a well known sun spot - only to find that that time it was the real thing :D

And - rum in your water bottle is a giggle on board but not on the beach - same as above .....
Ok, weathered gear.
timex

Post by timex »

Bees, concentrate on lots of light training (running cycling swimming). If you really are going to carry weight, do it carefully and make sure you don't over do it...

The weights we carried vary, Speedmarch's you carry Fighting order and wpn (about 30lb)
Load carry used to be a 12 miler with your bergen (not sure how heavy)

For real, you will carry anything up to what you can stand with, Falklands in 82 the Mortar guys carried their Mortars and Milan also manpacked their kit for quite a distance. The average grav carried an amazing amount that nothing really prepares you for..
Bees

Post by Bees »

timex wrote:Bees, concentrate on lots of light training (running cycling swimming). If you really are going to carry weight, do it carefully and make sure you don't over do it...

The weights we carried vary, Speedmarch's you carry Fighting order and wpn (about 30lb)
Load carry used to be a 12 miler with your bergen (not sure how heavy)

For real, you will carry anything up to what you can stand with, Falklands in 82 the Mortar guys carried their Mortars and Milan also manpacked their kit for quite a distance. The average grav carried an amazing amount that nothing really prepares you for..
Thanks for the heads up. Was thinkin of carrying a reasonable load (20-40lb) over 2 miles every other morning before work.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Hello Bees,
That training will work your CV and leg/back strength, and endurance, but in preparation for CTC you really don't need to be doing much of that.
Wouldn't hurt to do it once a week though. Don't carry heavy loads yet.

Running is at least 90% of your life during training.
Train for it with a mixture of CV (including actual running, but don't over do it! :oops: ).
Upper body training should be for endurance (e.g. lots of pressups and pull ups) as opposed to strength (e.g. maximum bench press).
Core work is very important too.

RT at CTC begins with gym work in PT kit and stays that way for most of phase 1, and the weight carrying is built up gradually over time.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Bees

Post by Bees »

ofens wrote:Hello Bees,
That training will work your CV and leg/back strength, and endurance, but in preparation for CTC you really don't need to be doing much of that.
Wouldn't hurt to do it once a week though. Don't carry heavy loads yet.

Running is at least 90% of your life during training.
Train for it with a mixture of CV (including actual running, but don't over do it! :oops: ).
Upper body training should be for endurance (e.g. lots of pressups and pull ups) as opposed to strength (e.g. maximum bench press).
Core work is very important too.

RT at CTC begins with gym work in PT kit and stays that way for most of phase 1, and the weight carrying is built up gradually over time.
Nice one ofens me old fruit, The more I know about RT the better, thats a good bit of heads up