Share This Page:

Ab routine, what do ya think?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Butcher

Ab routine, what do ya think?

Post by Butcher »

so i was looking around for some more ab Exercises and i found this on youtube, and i think its really good and very hard [ just do each ex more times if you want it to be harder :P lol] so if anyone has tried this or tries it was just wondering what you all thought about it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_usVg7Fp0

1. Basic Crunch-
2.Twist Up
3.Push Through-
4.Left side Crunch-
5. Right side Crunch-
6. Up and Twist-
7. Leg Raises-
8. Leg Tucks-
9. 90 Degree Ankle Touch-
10. Right Crossover Crunch-
11. Left Crossover Crunch-
12. Kick Ups-
13. Head Raises-
14. Scissors-
15. Left crossover twist-
16. Right crossover twist-
17. Head leg crunch-
18. Alternating Shoulder Lifts-
19- 180 Degree Ankle Touches-
20- Side bends-
21- Alternate Leg Tucks-
22- Alternating Push Throughs-

also this is not me, i do not know this person in anyway nor am i anywhere on the page, and this is not an advertisement, mealy a question. [ ok i think the covers all the rules?]
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

To many exercises for me, pick 3-6 movements and do them in a circuit type work out

so....

Abs wheel roll outs 5- 5 - 5
Decline bench sit ups 15-15-15
dorsal raises 15-15-15
Russian twists 30-30-30

add more reps/sets if its too easy.

You’re work out looks like over kill to me, quality not quantity.

Also constantly mix it up, don’t get stuck doing the same workout over and over make sure you progressively make it tougher

Stokey
Butcher

Post by Butcher »

i know its a bit long and i know circuit is kinda the king lol but as something a bit different, i thought it was kinda cool. really burns your core thats for sure.
KODE

Post by KODE »

Dont mean to be harsh, but I'm not a fan :(

The problem is, whoever devised that routine has clearly got no basic knowledge of training because they have made the same rookie mistake in training the abdominals, they havent realised that the Rectus Abdominis is just another muscle, and therefore should be trained accordingly.

For example, would you train your pecs to the same extent of that programme, but substitue the exercises for relevant ones? No of course you wouldnt, because you would get to around the 4-5th exercise and it would lose its quality.

What are your goals that you are looking to achieve with your abs? because you stick to exactly the same principles of a regualr routine, 1-6 reps, 4-7 sets for power/strength( change tempo accordingly), failing on the 6th rep or lower

8-12 reps for hypertrophy( muscle growth) 4-8 sets with a tempo of 412 (4 seconds to lower, 1 second of 'rest' 2 seconds to contract) failing in no more than 12 reps

Or muscular endurance 15-25 reps 2-4 sets same tempo.

Most people are looking to be able to perform more reps of an exercise eg sit-ups, so therefore the endurance rep range would be used, if however you goal is to try to get a six pack, your better sticking to the Hypertrophy scale, as this will cause the abs to grow bigger, therefore making them appear more defined, especially if you thrown in some HIIT and good diet!

Bit long winded but hey....

KODE 8)
KODE

Post by KODE »

Oh by the way, same goes for all other core muscles! I just used the abs as an example, but apply the same priciples to the Obliques, Internal and External and Erector Spinae. Also look up some exercise videos for training the TVA (Transverse Abdominis), as this will help strengthen every move you do, but in particualr any core work.

KODE 8)
Butcher

Post by Butcher »

lol I see thank you KODE that was one informative post, and yes the routine i found does sound rather crap when explain it like that :P lol ,thank you :D i will remember all that when i design my own.