Share This Page:

16, Always a spired to being a RM, is 16 to young to joing

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Nealbei

16, Always a spired to being a RM, is 16 to young to joing

Post by Nealbei »

I am 16 years old and currently sitting my GSCE. I have always apired to joining the marines from an ealry age of 4 or 5, but now find myself an army applicant about to go for selection. The reason i am joining the army is because the advice i have been given is, despite being able to join on paper, 16 is to young to go lympstone and i dont want to wate untill i am older to join the marines. Joining the army would meen being second best and as my sleection date approches that worrys me. Sorry to mumble on alot, il get to the point now, at 16, am i to young to evan attempt to go lympstone. Would i have a realistic chance? I can do 2.3 mile in 15 minutes so i am confident i could cover the last 0.7 of a mile in 7 minutes to pass the 3 miler at the PRMC. sorry to mumble on a bit lads
coopesh56

Post by coopesh56 »

im joining the RAF and im 18...so not the best person to comment however, there was a lad who went to my college who finished his gcse's last summer and is now in the RM though i dont know enough about it to know what lymbstone is.... hope this helps, coop.
AST: passed
Interview: passed
Medical: passed
PRFT: passed
PRTC: passed
Final interview: passed
Intake to Halton: 19/08/09
Chosen trade: AMM Avionics.
timex

Post by timex »

Neal, you will find that a lot of people on here joined the RM at 16 (me being one), it is hard but your trained from day 1 to pass the course. Don't forget that you will also do PRMC prior to attempting training. Just give it a go otherwise you may regret it

One question.........who's advice?
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I my self didn't feel like I was mentally old enough too join at 16 and I don't just mean I wasn't mentally strong enough to do the physical side of things but the other side to Military life as well... I’m waiting till I’m 18 (just turned 17) I know its only two years but you'd be surprised how much you learn and grow up both mentally and physically in such a short time.

I've taken the collage route, I’m enjoying my time there and as well as having a right laugh I’m busy training away improving my fitness and having a blast with my armature boxing.

All I’m trying too say is the Royal Marines aren’t going anywhere, so don't rush in, not saying don't join at 16 it may be right for you, but personally I wanted time to be a teenager, be that chasing the fairer sex or larking around with my mates.

Come the end of my collage course I will be ready and get cracking with the process as I too have wanted to join from a young age, joining at 16 crossed my mind but after sitting down and thinking hard about it I felt I had more to gain by going to collage and getting some qualifications than I did rushing in.

In the end it's you’re choice what right for you might not be right for someone else, all the best with you’re choice and if it was me I wouldn't settle for anymore than the best :wink:

Stokey
Nealbei

Post by Nealbei »

timex wrote:Neal, you will find that a lot of people on here joined the RM at 16 (me being one), it is hard but your trained from day 1 to pass the course. Don't forget that you will also do PRMC prior to attempting training. Just give it a go otherwise you may regret it

One question.........who's advice?

A guy i know by the name of mardi. He joined the Rm at 16 in 74, did 23 and a half years, still has the scars from training dues to his 58 pattern webbing. How long were you at lympstone after joining at 16? End up in that hunter company? May i ask, how old are you now? Thanks for the replies chaps, i am SERIOUSLY thinking about with drawing my appo from the army and following my aspirations of the marines. I just cant help think 16 is too young
Nealbei

Post by Nealbei »

Thanks for all the replys, keep them coming, want all the advice i can get:D
riflebutt

Post by riflebutt »

alright mate i personally know a couple of 16 year old lads who joined up and passed out as originals. At the end of the day it's all down to what you and how much you want it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
timex

Post by timex »

Neal. like the guy you know I too joined 74, I spent 30 yrs in the Corps and would happily have stayed longer. I started with 204tp and finished with 204tp, we did lose a few in training and many of us suffered various amounts of "Woodbury rash" all caused by rubbing webbing. This still occurs even now.

Only you can decide, but when you add up the time required to get from initial application to wandering out of CTC with your Green beret I would imagine best part of 2 yrs (thats a guess btw).
Nealbei

Post by Nealbei »

timex wrote:Neal. like the guy you know I too joined 74, I spent 30 yrs in the Corps and would happily have stayed longer. I started with 204tp and finished with 204tp, we did lose a few in training and many of us suffered various amounts of "Woodbury rash" all caused by rubbing webbing. This still occurs even now.

Only you can decide, but when you add up the time required to get from initial application to wandering out of CTC with your Green beret I would imagine best part of 2 yrs (thats a guess btw).
Did you join at the age of 16 back in 74? If, after applying and doing the PRMC i gues i will be closer to 17 by the time i start training. One of the main things that worrys me is the weight. I am only 5 ft 8 and weight 9 stone 5 lbs. Despite all the push ups i do, i beleive, and my dad tells me i wouldnt be able to do some of the more strenght based things, like carrying a man on my back with his webbing and rifle as well as mine. Little things like that make me wonder at 16 am i too young and to be truthfull, under developed
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

If your overiding desire is to join the RM, then I think you should. But why not consider the option of the RMR(Royal Marines Reserves)?

Go to college and continue with your studies, and crack on with the RMR at the same time. They do the same training, same tests and pass out with a Green Lid, all be it over a longer period of time. This will allow you to further your education, learn a few more life skills, enjoy your younger years a bit more and you will also be part of the Corps. If during your RMR training you find 16 is a little too young, be if for physical reasons or otherwise, then you will not have thrown all your eggs in one basket like you may have done with either joining the Army or the RM as a regular recruit. You will have your education to fall back on and once you have completed it you will be that much older and more prepared if you decide to join full time at a later date.

Of course you may find you happily crack RMR training which will, given the current climate, lead to opportunities to serve full time with the regular Corps on Ops and open doors to transfering to the regs.

I'm not saying dont join the regs, but given your mis-givings and fairly understandable reasons for being a little concerned the RMR option might be well worth you having a look at.

Dwarfy,
timex

Post by timex »

Neal, yes I did mate. Lots of good advice about so really its now up to you. Have a look at the PRMC site and you may find a lot more information.

Good luck.
Nealbei

Post by Nealbei »

Cheers. I guess i just got to go for it, always wanted to. Still pretty scared about my age hindering me. I think i am going to give the careers ffice a call, royal marines this time not the army :)
Ste Preece

Ultimate Goal

Post by Ste Preece »

Stick in there mate:

Before I joined the Corps, the Marines were my ultimate goal too. My childhood ambition. I wanted to be a marine more than anything else in the world. As I prepared, I had the mind set that I was going to make the grade, no matter what. Others around me, whom I grew up with, kept saying what if you don't make it? Well, for some that does happen, due to injury, finding it not for them or for not being able to hack it. I just became more determined.

Any marine will tell you, Its not easy, far from it, and the end goal always felt as it it was never going to be in sight. However, as I went through training and the weeks went by, I kept my eye on the King's Squad (The most senior squad in basic training). I wanted to be one of them, more than ever.

Eventually, it was test week, the commando tests. I recall finishing the nine miler and our troop being met at the main gate of CTCRM by two Royal Marines' Bandsmen drummers. They drummed us into camp. It was great to say the least and we all felt 10 feet tall. They weren't many of the originals at the end of training, but thankfully I was one of them, I'd made it through and was a Royal Marine Commando. The passing out parade was one of the very best days in my life. One that I have never and will never forget. Its the point, where you are addressed for the very first time ever as a Royal Marine. You are ready to take your place within the Corps.

Looking back to that point and after when home on leave, I still listened to the many civvies who said, "I was going to do that." Well, the odd one did, the odd few tried, but the majority never got off the starting blocks.

Is the end goal worth it you have to ask yourself, after all the blood, sweat and tears.

My answer, OF COURSE IT IS.

From your passing out day onwards you will always stand out in a crowd, be swift at thinking on your feet and acting or reacting to challenging and dangerous situations. You will be fit, fast and furious, with great oppos, second to none.

And forever more, until the day you die, you will ALWAYS be a MARINE and will look back proudly at your years of service

Best Regards

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Sully

Post by Sully »

Neal

There's some good advice here from people who have been there. It's not often I feel drawn to post these days but I look in now and again. Follow your instincts mate. I joined at the other end (26 I think I was) and that had it's difficulties as well but if the course couldn't be passed by 16 year olds (or 26 year olds) then it wouldn't be open to them mate. They don't want to waste time and money on hopeless causes.

I was in a different position, having a choice between doing the PRC (as it then was) or going for a Regular Commissions Board interview with a view to a commission in the Para Regt - I was too old for a commission in the Corps. I felt like you and thought anything other that the Corps would be second best and I have no regrets at all. No criticism of Para Regt there and who knows I might have freddied the officer selection (having gone to a state school I was unable to answer the question who my 'housemaster' was on the application form for starters!).

Just one point - the small fellas that I knew tended to be yomp-monsters but at 5ft 8 you will probably be about average height for your troop - and of course when that green rod goes up your spine you'll be at least 5ft 10 by the end of training :wink:

Doubts and fears are understandable mate but try to think a bit more positively about it. I've met stacks of people who have regrets about not following their heart when they were younger and a few used to pop up here now and again - it's a sad thing to see.

Finally, if you're going to be a bear - be a grizzly :lol:
Per Flank, Per Tank
Nealbei

Post by Nealbei »

Cheers for the advice. I have left a little thing on royalnavy.mod.uk/royal marines where i gave them my number requesting a call. I supose i wil have to tell them about my army application :-? . A bit embarrassing. Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it